Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2021 Transfer Portal

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure if already mentioned but with the new transfer rule, the college APR is going to need to be seriosly tweaked.

The APR is calculated as follows:

  • Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one point for staying in school and one point for being academically eligible.
  • A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by 1,000 to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate.
  • In addition to a team’s current-year APR, its rolling four-year APR is also used to determine accountability.
  • Teams must earn a four-year average APR of 930 to compete in championships. 

So a team of 13 scholarship players with everyone staying academically eligible and 2 players transferring scores a 923.

If teams are recruiting well, I can easily see an average of 2 players per season leaving to get more PT. IU has had 1 at the moment, but there are at least 4 players I could see considering it within the next calendar year and that doesn't even account for TJD leaving for the NBA.

They should just count transfers in good academic standing as 1 of 1 instead of 1of 2 points. Transferring in good standing to another academic institution is not a failure, it's a player choice.

I was just wondering the other day if they had made changes to the APR calculation at the same time as the transfer rule and how they'd need to address it if not. With the transfer rule now passed, transfers should be taken completely out of the equation. I actually don't like that that aspect was in the calculation in the first place - reward (or at least don't penalize) a school having their athletes making progress towards their degrees while at the school but don't penalize the schools if the student decides to go elsewhere to finish.

Out of curiosity, is the APR the same for all sports? (That's a question for anyone who knows, not specifically you.) I would think that it is but I don't know. The non-revenue generating sports have had the free transfer rule for a few years now. I wonder how that has affected their APR. It's possible that they haven't seen nearly as many transfers as with basketball so the APR may have continued to be overlooked as something that needed changing because of the change in transfer rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

So more of a football issue than BB.

That’s a great question.  Not sure 100% on those rules.  They have spring semester enrollees to get them going in the program all of the time.  That’s when football players come and go.  Not sure how they completely navigate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s a great question.  Not sure 100% on those rules.  They have spring semester enrollees to get them going in the program all of the time.  That’s when football players come and go.  Not sure how they completely navigate that.

IU football is the type of school that I think could get hit hard in football by the transfer portal rules.  Below average to middle of the road P5 program, where a late bloomer may want to move on to a high major program to highlight his skills if he thinks it may increase pro prospects, but also a good enough program that low PT guys could move to lesser programs to increase PT.

Bama, UF, LSU OSU, CLEM only have guys leaving to move down or to get more PT elsewhere, while Akron, Coastal Carolina, La Tech and the like  are likely to loose just players that can upgrade exposure.

 

Should become very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mdn82 said:

No it doesn’t after spring semester.  

So do all players academically finish the semester? Is it case by case? If they don't finish the semester, do they then count against the team APR?

It could get uncomfortable for players, esp if they are transferring intraconference. Brunk not so much because he is a nonessential grandpa type, but had Armaan gone to UI, or if a star player would transfer to UK or PU, things could be pretty prickly around campus for 2-3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

IU football is the type of school that I think could get hit hard in football by the transfer portal rules.  Below average to middle of the road P5 program, where a late bloomer may want to move on to a high major program to highlight his skills if he thinks it may increase pro prospects, but also a good enough program that low PT guys could move to lesser programs to increase PT.

Bama, UF, LSU OSU, CLEM only have guys leaving to move down or to get more PT elsewhere, while Akron, Coastal Carolina, La Tech and the like  are likely to loose just players that can upgrade exposure.

 

Should become very interesting.

I see this the opposite way. Perhaps before this season that would be the case but for now at least we are a hot commodity and kids seem to want to be here. I could see strong mid major kids or perhaps kids who went P5 big programs looking at us as a team on the rise. 
 

I don’t know if we can sustain this momentum but for now I expect us to be a magnet for the portal. Now if we drop back to a .500 team then I would agree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not IU related, but this just shows how wild college hoops is these days. The Syracuse women's team had 11 players enter the transfer portal. Didn't have a coaching change and in fact, just five years ago, they were in the NCAA title game. ... Crazy. 

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/syracuse-coach-hillsman-11-players-061856016.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penn State guard Izaiah Brockington re-entered the NCAA transfer portal Thursday morning, sources told 247Sports. As a junior during the Nittany Lions' 2020-21 season, Brockington averaged 12.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in 29.7 minutes over 25 games (24 starts).

The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder initially made a portal entry March 16. He ended up withdrawing his name after a "good talk" with Micah Shrewsberry, the new PSU head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Penn State guard Izaiah Brockington re-entered the NCAA transfer portal Thursday morning, sources told 247Sports. As a junior during the Nittany Lions' 2020-21 season, Brockington averaged 12.6 points and 3.9 rebounds in 29.7 minutes over 25 games (24 starts).

The 6-foot-4, 200-pounder initially made a portal entry March 16. He ended up withdrawing his name after a "good talk" with Micah Shrewsberry, the new PSU head coach.

If my math is correct, that leaves the Nittany Lions with eight scholarship players currently on the roster for next season - fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

If my math is correct, that leaves the Nittany Lions with eight scholarship players currently on the roster for next season - fun!

8 is actually not that bad comparing to Crean's UGA. He's got an uphill battle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see Brooks ending up at IU. We have a full roster and I don't think CMW is the kind of person who forces someone out after convincing them to stay. If he does, then I have misjudged him. Someone will have to seek another opportunity on their own for there to be a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I don't see Brooks ending up at IU. We have a full roster and I don't think CMW is the kind of person who forces someone out after convincing them to stay. If he does, then I have misjudged him. Someone will have to seek another opportunity on their own for there to be a spot.

Yeah.  I cant see that happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×