Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, pumpfake said:

Personally, I hate this new "free agency" transfer/portal/BS, even though we probably benefited greatly from it this off-season.  Especially in the case where a player throws their name in the NBA draft, puts his college team in limbo for a month or more, then withdraws and decides to enter the portal.  I fear CBB will become like the NBA - players dog-piling to form super teams.  Jerry Seinfeld's line about "rooting for laundry" then becomes applicable to college ball.

I'm with you. We were never going back to the good old days again, but I expect college football and basketball will be completely unrecognizable in a few years between the transfer portal and NIL. 

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I'm with you. We were never going back to the good old days again, but I expect college football and basketball will be completely unrecognizable in a few years between the transfer portal and NIL. 

I'm curious the direction that it is taking but I'm afraid you are correct my friend

On 7/7/2021 at 7:19 AM, Stuhoo said:

They're also bringing in a University of Indy 16.0 ppg, 3 point shooting forward, and McGowan's five star brother is an instant major upgrade. Their best big, Derrick Walker is there and healthy for a full season. Blanton ended up coming off the bench by the end of the season; while he was talented he's not a huge loss.

'Huge loss' is a relative term.  He was Nebraska's third leading scorer and even coming off the bench he was getting his minutes.  Walker has been healthy before.....at Tennessee, where he was nothing more than bench fodder.  The guy they added is basically the Tamar Bates that we added........as a freshman, I think IU is certainly counting on him to be a contributor but Nebraska needs their five star to be a focal point on offense.  

The Big Ten will be down next year, but I would be surprised if Nebraska gets more than 6 or 7 wins in conference.

7 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Personally, I hate this new "free agency" transfer/portal/BS, even though we probably benefited greatly from it this off-season.  Especially in the case where a player throws their name in the NBA draft, puts his college team in limbo for a month or more, then withdraws and decides to enter the portal.  I fear CBB will become like the NBA - players dog-piling to form super teams.  Jerry Seinfeld's line about "rooting for laundry" then becomes applicable to college ball.

That said.......how often does a coach recruit a player to a team because he fits their system only to immediately leave for a bigger payday and leave the recruit high and dry?  IMO, we don't have to like it, but college kids transfer schools ALL the time......not sure why we think athletes should be any different.

13 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Twin brothers Cameron and Zameron Boozer (former Duke player Carlos' sons) are both transferring from Jacksonville.

They aren't very good, but think about how Zameron feels when they gave his brother a real name and left him with a made up one just because it rhymed with Cameron.

Lance Stephenson’s brother Lantz probably has feelings on this matter. 

Travis Branham - This week marks the start of the transfer portal season as the first wave of conference tournaments finish up. There are currently 142 names on the transfer list dating back to the start of the season. This time last year, there were already more than 240 names on the list.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Travis Branham - This week marks the start of the transfer portal season as the first wave of conference tournaments finish up. There are currently 142 names on the transfer list dating back to the start of the season. This time last year, there were already more than 240 names on the list.

Time to dig thru the bargain bin  at Menards and hopefully find a pair pliers that works for a year or two .