Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

This is a problem with a lot of coaches. The ego is too big to consider that someone else might have something to offer. That same ego will not allow them to accept responsibility when something goes wrong. We have seen that, I believe, with our last four coaches to varying degrees. I get a sense that is not the case with CMW. I think we have our guy.

Yes, a paradox of the profession is you can’t make it w/o some self-belief but if you buy into your own genius you’ll get passed.

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe Izzo can convince ADMIN to replace him at MSU.  Lol. Wouldn’t that be great. 

I know Izzo didn't want him replaced here.

I also think the mentorship had very little to do with it.

9 hours ago, Southside said:

Not saying Crean should have said any of that, but KDJ was a mess up. He had eligibility issues coming in (IIRC went to Hargrave to improve his chances), and missed 10 games last season due to grades. A lot of rumors about behavior as well. Overall, UGA isn't as bad as some SEC programs, but they have a decent history of program challenges. 

The article I read in the local paper made it sound like there were still a ton of kids on the roster even with so many leaving. Big classes, a lot of Jucos and portal transfers are inbound too. In short, sounded like a roster crunch. 

If anyone could have a roster crunch while having as many players transfer out as UGA has, it's Crean.

Dushawn London - Virginia Tech decommit Michael Durr has heard from Oklahoma State, Penn State, Indiana, Pitt, Wake Forest, Depaul among others since reopening his recruitment source tells @247Sports.  Averaged 8.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2021/5/10/22429952/virginia-tech-basketball-7-footer-michael-durr-backs-off-pledge-to-the-hokies-acc-basketball

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-durr-1.html

34 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Dushawn London - Virginia Tech decommit Michael Durr has heard from Oklahoma State, Penn State, Indiana, Pitt, Wake Forest, Depaul among others since reopening his recruitment source tells @247Sports.  Averaged 8.8 points and 7.9 rebounds.

https://www.gobblercountry.com/2021/5/10/22429952/virginia-tech-basketball-7-footer-michael-durr-backs-off-pledge-to-the-hokies-acc-basketball

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/michael-durr-1.html

Not to scout the stat line too closely, but a 7 footer playing 25 mins a game in the AAC and shooting 45% from 2 and averaging less than a block a game sounds......underwhelming. But, experienced post depth is nothing to sneeze at. Highly doubt a kid used to playing close to 30 mins is gonna view playing 15 mins backing up Jackson-Davis as his best option.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Looking for some to lean on a big when we face one.

George Leach-like option would be nice.

I agree, love me some post depth along with 2yrs of eligibility.

What confuses me is why did Brunk leave then? This guy looks like a pretty traditional back-to-the basket big.....like Brunk. Did the staff nudge him to go? Did he yearn to reunite with Holtzman? I don't get it why he'd leave if there are clearly minutes available. Hard to believe he wasn't a good team-mate. 

Have we gotten a good read on who initiated that move? 

8 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

I’m lowkey pretty glad Crean isn’t here for the expanded Transfer Portal world. Seems like a very bad fit.

It's going to be interesting. I know he did land a pretty good portal transfer. 

A buddy of mine who is an old school UGA fan, has said the last two years that UGA need a good purging. I think he actually said it when they hired Crean. Well, maybe now he'll be happy lol.

9 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

A roster crunch with 9 players transferring out.  Even by Crean standards that's kind of impressive.

It's really interesting at minimum. I've become more curious about their situation. I've heard buzz from folks and they're all over the place. Maybe I'll dig in and look at the numbers. 

Nah... 

11 minutes ago, Southside said:

It's going to be interesting. I know he did land a pretty good portal transfer. 

A buddy of mine who is an old school UGA fan, has said the last two years that UGA need a good purging. I think he actually said it when they hired Crean. Well, maybe now he'll be happy lol.

It's really interesting at minimum. I've become more curious about their situation. I've heard buzz from folks and they're all over the place. Maybe I'll dig in and look at the numbers. 

Nah... 

Creans already purged the roster 2 or 3 times. If your friend thinks it’s the players you need to get your friend help.  Friends don’t let friends listen to Tom Crean