Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I feel like Northwestern might be kinda good next year. Buie, Aldrige, Nance, Beran, Young, and Berry are all back, and Barnhizer should be a contributing freshman.

So, so very much better than Minnesota.

Will be interested to see Barnhizer’s career arc. Only watched 1 of his games and he looked like a mid-major kid all day. Didn’t like the stroke, the handle, the athleticism. Lateral movement seemed like an issue. Did nothing for me. But have been told by someone I respect that his game grows on you and they think he’s going to have a productive career. Hope that’s true. I’d like to see NW competitive yearly.

And, Minny, wow. Johnson might be a coaching savant, but the results are not gonna bear it out.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Will be interested to see Barnhizer’s career arc. Only watched 1 of his games and he looked like a mid-major kid all day. Didn’t like the stroke, the handle, the athleticism. Lateral movement seemed like an issue. Did nothing for me. But have been told by someone I respect that his game grows on you and they think he’s going to have a productive career. Hope that’s true. I’d like to see NW competitive yearly.

And, Minny, wow. Johnson might be a coaching savant, but the results are not gonna bear it out.

Yup--for me it's not so much about "NW with top shelf players." It's much more about Minny, Wisconsin, Penn State, and maybe Iowa and Rutgers are hurting for talent.

Of all of those, Minny looks like a complete wasteland on P5 players. Possible that both Nebraska and NW crack the top ten of the B1G next year IMO. Nebraska's talent level and experience level is light years ahead of a few teams as they currently stand.   McGowens (+ his 5 star brother), Blanton and Walker is more than Wisky (Davison, Wahl, Davis) or Iowa (Bohannon, Murray, Toussaint) have returning from their primary rotation guys. Penn State has more returning than Iowa or Wisky too. 

Minnesota is in a whole different category. Like a year one Tom Crean at IU level of sadness.

56 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yup--for me it's not so much about "NW with top shelf players." It's much more about Minny, Wisconsin, Penn State, and maybe Iowa and Rutgers are hurting for talent.
Of all of those, Minny looks like a complete wasteland on P5 players. Possible that both Nebraska and NW crack the top ten of the B1G next year IMO. Nebraska's talent level and experience level is light years ahead of a few teams as they currently stand.   McGowens (+ his 5 star brother), Blanton and Walker is more than Wisky (Davison, Wahl, Davis) or Iowa (Bohannon, Murray, Toussaint) have returning from their primary rotation guys. Penn State has more returning than Iowa or Wisky too. 
Minnesota is in a whole different category. Like a year one Tom Crean at IU level of sadness.

I think you mean “current Tom Crean at UGA level of sadness”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

I think you mean “current Tom Crean at UGA level of sadness”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YIkes! Didn't care for his coaching style or the weird kind of vibe about him, but hoped he would do well at his next stop.

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

YIkes! Didn't care for his coaching style or the weird kind of vibe about him, but hoped he would do well at his next stop.

Same. I have nothing against him and wished him the best but his program has absolutely been rocked by transfers this Spring.

Crean’s best player leaves today. This is the NINTH player Crean has lost to the portal this offseason. And none of them are coming back. And they are all players that were recruited to UGA by Tom Crean.

Crean’s response? Throw the departing player under the bus:

“Given the standards and expectations of Georgia Basketball, we wholeheartedly agree with K.D.’s desire to seek a new program,” Crean said. “We certainly wish him the best and really hope he finds success in all areas moving forward.”

Tom Crean needs to give up on coaching and go back to announcing.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Crean’s best player leaves today. This is the NINTH player Crean has lost to the portal this offseason.

“Given the standards and expectations of Georgia Basketball, we wholeheartedly agree with K.D.’s desire to seek a new program,” Crean said. “We certainly wish him the best and really hope he finds success in all areas moving forward.”

Well you certainly can’t accuse him of not being consistent. 

What’s insane about the way coaching works is even after he gets fired next offseason he will eventually find work making 7 figures somewhere 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well you certainly can’t accuse him of not being consistent. 

What’s insane about the way coaching works is even after he gets fired next offseason he will eventually find work making 7 figures somewhere 

Not so sure he will this time.

Mark Fox failed at UGA just before Crean and the best he could do was Cal Northridge (where he failed too). Crean has had more success, but this time it looks pretty ugly. The wins/losses are terrible—the player relations are worse.

Because football staffs are larger there’s a place for a coach like Crean who has mixed results as a head man. He’d be a great offensive coordinator somewhere,  maybe (re-)learn some things about program management, trusting his staff, delegating, media relations, and player relations, then get another shot.

Kinda think Archie should do a version of this. Go coordinate the defense as an assistant somewhere for two years, watch the head man develop players offensively and show some humility to consider other systems on both sides of the ball, and get another head gig somewhere PAC-12, AAC, a-10, WCC

Just now, lillurk said:

Because football staffs are larger there’s a place for a coach like Crean who has mixed results as a head man. He’d be a great offensive coordinator somewhere,  maybe (re-)learn some things about program management, trusting his staff, delegating, media relations, and player relations, then get another shot.

Kinda think Archie should do a version of this. Go coordinate the defense as an assistant somewhere for two years, watch the head man develop players offensively and show some humility to consider other systems on both sides of the ball, and get another head gig somewhere PAC-12, AAC, a-10, WCC

Maybe Cal wants to have a version of Saban's analysts in non-recruiting roles. The Miller bros could do it

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Not so sure he will this time.

Mark Fox failed at UGA just before Crean and the best he could do was Cal Northridge (where he failed too). Crean has had more success, but this time it looks pretty ugly. The wins/losses are terrible—the player relations are worse.

Maybe Izzo can convince ADMIN to replace him at MSU.  Lol. Wouldn’t that be great. 

10 minutes ago, lillurk said:

He couldn’t do that, his defense takes 3 years to learn

53 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Crean’s best player leaves today. This is the NINTH player Crean has lost to the portal this offseason. And none of them are coming back. And they are all players that were recruited to UGA by Tom Crean.

He did the same thing speaking il of player's who stuck with the Georgia program when he took them over.....when asked late in the season if he would have done anything differently, he said that he 'wouldn't have kept so many of the players around.'

Honestly, Crean is a good (although creepy vibe) guy, but he has a huge flaw in saying things to the media that put blame on the players.

45 minutes ago, lillurk said:

show some humility

This is a problem with a lot of coaches. The ego is too big to consider that someone else might have something to offer. That same ego will not allow them to accept responsibility when something goes wrong. We have seen that, I believe, with our last four coaches to varying degrees. I get a sense that is not the case with CMW. I think we have our guy.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He did the same thing speaking il of player's who stuck with the Georgia program when he took them over.....when asked late in the season if he would have done anything differently, he said that he 'wouldn't have kept so many of the players around.'

Honestly, Crean is a good (although creepy vibe) guy, but he has a huge flaw in saying things to the media that put blame on the players.

He may be a good guy, but he's lacking something if all these young men aren't satisfied with their bb experience with him.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Not saying Crean should have said any of that, but KDJ was a mess up. He had eligibility issues coming in (IIRC went to Hargrave to improve his chances), and missed 10 games last season due to grades. A lot of rumors about behavior as well. Overall, UGA isn't as bad as some SEC programs, but they have a decent history of program challenges. 

The article I read in the local paper made it sound like there were still a ton of kids on the roster even with so many leaving. Big classes, a lot of Jucos and portal transfers are inbound too. In short, sounded like a roster crunch.