Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Minnesota power forward Brandon Johnson enters the portal.  Averaged 8.9 points and 6.1 rebounds last year for the Gophers after playing at Western Michigan for three years.  His junior year at Western Michigan he averaged 15.4 points and 8.1 rebounds.

Gophers look to be really bad next year.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Minnesota power forward Brandon Johnson enters the portal.  Averaged 8.9 points and 6.1 rebounds last year for the Gophers after playing at Western Michigan for three years.  His junior year at Western Michigan he averaged 15.4 points and 8.1 rebounds.

Gophers look to be really bad next year.

Minnesota's struggles post Pitino leaving are where I wonder if folks like Goodman thought we might be heading with his who do you think you are comments.  The Gophers may have been right in moving on from Pitino but took a risky move in hiring their coach and it may be a long time before we know if it was the right move.  Indiana, on the other hand, may have take a slightly risky hire with Woodson but with the resources we have placed around him (Matta, Fife, Hunter and Yasir) combined with his own style have allowed him some early success.  

I think we as fans expected the success could happen with resources and the right person leading and hopefully on-court results will follow.  

18 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Minnesota's struggles post Pitino leaving are where I wonder if folks like Goodman thought we might be heading with his who do you think you are comments.  The Gophers may have been right in moving on from Pitino but took a risky move in hiring their coach and it may be a long time before we know if it was the right move.  Indiana, on the other hand, may have take a slightly risky hire with Woodson but with the resources we have placed around him (Matta, Fife, Hunter and Yasir) combined with his own style have allowed him some early success.  

I think we as fans expected the success could happen with resources and the right person leading and hopefully on-court results will follow.  

I think we’re going to look back in a couple years and realize that the one time transfer rule has made the best programs* even better (and the bag men of college bbal coughwillwadebrucepearlcough). The programs that recruit elite talent often have to deal with unexpected departures to the pros and being able to address it with an impact player in the spring will just make the rich richer and the Minnesota’s poorer.

*inexplicably does not include Coach Cal and UK, who have struck out so much so far but god am I laughing hard

I think we’re going to look back in a couple years and realize that the one time transfer rule has made the best programs* even better (and the bag men of college bbal coughwillwadebrucepearlcough). The programs that recruit elite talent often have to deal with unexpected departures to the pros and being able to address it with an impact player in the spring will just make the rich richer and the Minnesota’s poorer.
*inexplicably does not include Coach Cal and UK, who have struck out so much so far but god am I laughing hard

I get it, but who’s to say they won’t give transfers Money too?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

By the same token, some mid and low majors are going to see an influx of talent come in that they wouldn't have before as some players from P6 transfer to places where they are going to get more playing time.  Take a look at UNLV, for instance -- they are bringing in seven transfer, four of which are from the Big 12 (2 from Texas, 1 from Oklahoma, and 1 from West Virginia).  Stephen F. Austin is going to bring in players from Kansas and Texas A&M.  New Mexico will be bringing in players from Arizona State, Minnesota (Jamal Mashburn followed Pitino Jr), Kansas, and TCU.  I'm not sure that overall a conference like the Big Ten got better -- that is, I'm not sure the trasnfers in are any better than the group that left.  Minnesota, Iowa, and Penn State most definitely got worse.

5 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

Re: Coach Cal and UK -- they did bring in Kellan Gandy (Davidson;  has averaged over 17 ppg for four straight years and was a 4 star coming out of high school) and Oscar Tshiebwe (West Virginia) who averaged 10 and a half points per game and 9 rebounds over two seasons at West Virginia and was also a four star.  That's a couple of nice gets and I'd take the two of them over the two they lost through transfer (Devin Askew, a five star who was incredibly underwhelming last year -- 29 minutes/game, 6.5 points on 34.5% shooting, and Cam'ron Fletcher, who was dismissed/quit the team early on  after not being good enough to get on the floor).  So don't think the transfer market has really hurt them.

14 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Re: Coach Cal and UK -- they did bring in Kellan Gandy (Davidson;  has averaged over 17 ppg for four straight years and was a 4 star coming out of high school) and Oscar Tshiebwe (West Virginia) who averaged 10 and a half points per game and 9 rebounds over two seasons at West Virginia and was also a four star.  That's a couple of nice gets and I'd take the two of them over the two they lost through transfer (Devin Askew, a five star who was incredibly underwhelming last year -- 29 minutes/game, 6.5 points on 34.5% shooting, and Cam'ron Fletcher, who was dismissed/quit the team early on  after not being good enough to get on the floor).  So don't think the transfer market has really hurt them.

Kentucky has 0 point guards on its current roster. It’s a glaring hole right now, especially after the decommitment of Nolan Hickman. They are desperate for a PG and haven’t landed one yet.

21 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

Kentucky has 0 point guards on its current roster. It’s a glaring hole right now, especially after the decommitment of Nolan Hickman. They are desperate for a PG and haven’t landed one yet.

I’m glad they haven’t.  What s funny is that was the complaint last year by pUKe fans — that they didn’t have a point guard and had a miscast high ranked 5 star playing there — and he transferred.

22 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I’m glad they haven’t.  What s funny is that was the complaint last year by pUKe fans — that they didn’t have a point guard and had a miscast high ranked 5 star playing there — and he transferred.

My guess is that with Antigua and the other new asst. coach from Illinois they'll be able to induce a PG to come to Lexingburg.  

7 minutes ago, ramadden13 said:

Wheeler cuts his list to 4.

If UK loses out on another guard to Will Wade’s “strong *** offer”, Rupp Rafters is going to be apoplectic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK is about to get #21 composite ranked pg TyTy Washington. Wheeler would likely be better initially, but Wheeler is limited with his size and lack of outside shot.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

UK is about to get #21 composite ranked pg TyTy Washington. Wheeler would likely be better initially, but Wheeler is limited with his size and lack of outside shot.

They could use two PG imo. They are really thin as far as ball handlers.

2 hours ago, ramadden13 said:

They could use two PG imo. They are really thin as far as ball handlers.

Talked to a friend at work that’s a pUKe fan yesterday, he said they are worried. Their is no one on the roster that can truly handle the pg position. 

Chris Vogt (formerly of Cincinnati) commits to Wisconsin.  Strange career and I'm not sure how he fits with Wisky.

7'1" player started his career at North Kentucky.  Was pretty much a stiff there, playing under 50 minutes as a freshman.  Averaged 13 minutes/game as a sophomore, averaging 4.5 points and 3.7 rebounds.  Transferred to CIncinnati and was immediately eligible and had an unexpected breakout year as a junior -- in 29 minutes per game and against better competition, averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds in 29 minutes/game, shooting 64% from the field.  Last year returned to stiff status, averaging 19 mpg, 5 points, and 3 1/2 boards.  One of the worst free throw shooters in D1 -- has made 110 of 242 free throws in his career.  Zero outside game.

Seems kind of like the anti-wisconsin big man -- no perimeter game, can't hit free throws.  For his 7.1" size, not that great of a shot blocker.

Both Gach becomes Minnesota's TENTH player to exit via the transfer portal.  Gach averaged 15 ppg in non-conference play last year before he struggled in Big Ten (partially due to a foot injury) and ended the season averaging 7 points and 3.7 rebounds.  

The only player the Gophers retain is Isaih Ihnen, who averaged 2.8 points and 3.5 rebounds.  

They have added six players, mostly from low D1 teams.  It will be interested to see how they play....it's basically a group that played decently at a lower level of ball but I think come big ten time, they are going to have a lot of trouble.

Parker Fox 6'8" power forward (although some sources list him as just 6'6") averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds......but at the D2 level (Northern State).

Jamison Battle (George Washington) is probably the best of the group, 6'6" forward who averaged 17 and 5 for a pretty bad George Washingotn team.

Luke Loewe (William and Mary) averaged 16 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists....but that was a big spike over what he had previously been doing and he did not shoot the ball well for a guard (Under 30% from three).

E.J. Stephens (Lafayette) averaged 16 points and 5 rebounds.

Sean Sutherlin (New Hampshire), 6'5" wing who can't shoot but is a hard nosed rebounder.  Averaged 13 points and 9 rebounds.

Payton Willis (Charleston), 6'4" guard,  Played at Vanderbilt from 2016-8, transferred to Minnesota, played for the Gophers for a year after sitting out his transfer year, averaged 9 points, transferred to Charleston, averaged 13 and a half points per game.  Is known as a shooter.

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Both Gach becomes Minnesota's TENTH player to exit via the transfer portal.  Gach averaged 15 ppg in non-conference play last year before he struggled in Big Ten (partially due to a foot injury) and ended the season averaging 7 points and 3.7 rebounds.  

The only player the Gophers retain is Isaih Ihnen, who averaged 2.8 points and 3.5 rebounds.  

They have added six players, mostly from low D1 teams.  It will be interested to see how they play....it's basically a group that played decently at a lower level of ball but I think come big ten time, they are going to have a lot of trouble.

Parker Fox 6'8" power forward (although some sources list him as just 6'6") averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds......but at the D2 level (Northern State).

Jamison Battle (George Washington) is probably the best of the group, 6'6" forward who averaged 17 and 5 for a pretty bad George Washingotn team.

Luke Loewe (William and Mary) averaged 16 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists....but that was a big spike over what he had previously been doing and he did not shoot the ball well for a guard (Under 30% from three).

E.J. Stephens (Lafayette) averaged 16 points and 5 rebounds.

Sean Sutherlin (New Hampshire), 6'5" wing who can't shoot but is a hard nosed rebounder.  Averaged 13 points and 9 rebounds.

Payton Willis (Charleston), 6'4" guard,  Played at Vanderbilt from 2016-8, transferred to Minnesota, played for the Gophers for a year after sitting out his transfer year, averaged 9 points, transferred to Charleston, averaged 13 and a half points per game.  Is known as a shooter.

We get the Minnesota double-play this year, right?!

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

We get the Minnesota double-play this year, right?!

Don't know.....I do know that right now they are only bringing in one recruit (a 130ish big man).  So I think right now they have 8 scholarship players...6 transfers in, one returning player for was bench fodder last year, and a big man who normally wouldn't be asked to do much as a freshman.

That said, they still might be better than Penn State and Northwestern next year.

31 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Don't know.....I do know that right now they are only bringing in one recruit (a 130ish big man).  So I think right now they have 8 scholarship players...6 transfers in, one returning player for was bench fodder last year, and a big man who normally wouldn't be asked to do much as a freshman.

That said, they still might be better than Penn State and Northwestern next year.

I feel like Northwestern might be kinda good next year. Buie, Aldrige, Nance, Beran, Young, and Berry are all back, and Barnhizer should be a contributing freshman.

So, so very much better than Minnesota.