Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

41 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I like our roster as it is right now.  I don't want to see anyone move to make room, plus the dad is a potential issues from what I remember in the past.  We do not need that on this team.

Yeah, his dad comes off like a lightweight Mark Carlino. If Brooks ends up at IU, I don't want to see any complaints from those supporting the move when his dad starts popping off about Brooks not being the focal point of the team.

2 minutes ago, JJacks said:

He isn't the athlete that Sheehey was.  Also, Woody didn't recruit him.  Kids have the option to transfer when a coach leaves for this very reason.  This is his team now.  His a%* is on the line and he has the right to build the team he wants.   I can tell you first hand what it's like when a new college coach comes in that didn't recruit you.  You can either sit at the end of the bench and get the silent treatment or go to where you are wanted.    

It may make Dad mad, but Woody has plenty of Indiana support and winning will get him all the support he needs. 

Totally agree. My wife had this happen to her after her sophomore year. The new coach said you will sit at the end of the bench and life will be terrible or you can transfer. She thought it was a bluff so she stayed. She went from the 6th man to no playing time and being told to quit the other sport she was playing her junior year. Her senior year her athletic scholarship was taken away and was no longer part of the basketball team. She paid her own way her last semester and left the state of Kentucky for good. 

Coaches want their own people on staff and on the team. 

Just now, Bigred3588 said:

Yeah, his dad comes off like a lightweight Mark Carlino. If Brooks ends up at IU, I don't want to see any complaints from those supporting the move when his dad starts popping off about Brooks not being the focal point of the team.

To my knowledge, Keion Brooks Sr. has NEVER complained about his son not being the focal point of a team. Neither has Keion.

If I have missed something please link. If I haven't that post is a load of crap.

"Gimme 4 Race Thomspon's, 2 Parker Stewart's, and a TJD.  I'll win ya' a damn Semi-State."

-Coach Ralph Fontaine

(Bob and Tom Show)

10 minutes ago, JJacks said:

He isn't the athlete that Sheehey was.  Also, Woody didn't recruit him.  Kids have the option to transfer when a coach leaves for this very reason.  This is his team now.  His a%* is on the line and he has the right to build the team he wants.   I can tell you first hand what it's like when a new college coach comes in that didn't recruit you.  You can either sit at the end of the bench and get the silent treatment or go to where you are wanted.    

It may make Dad mad, but Woody has plenty of Indiana support and winning will get him all the support he needs. 

And honestly, it’s not like it’d be the end of the world for the player who gets pushed out. I don’t mean to make light of it because it does stink for them, but Trey is a legitimate D1 player, unlike a guy like Grant Gelon who got pushed out. Trey will still land at a good school, get a free education, and play college basketball.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I found out last night that athletes are not allowed to have academic scholarships thanks to @Brass Cannon. Leal's parents work at IU so he would qualify for half off tution. 

Way to go brass cannon, ruined academic scholarships for our athletes lol

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan22 said:

I wouldn’t mind Tre Mitchell

Is IU hiring Tony Bergeron? So that's a no. It will be interesting to see what happens with Mitchell but that's a strange situation. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure where I stand on this but basically what I'm hearing is fans are happy with us not really using scholarships 12 and 13 for a couple of years. I put Galloway at 12, Leal at 13. Neither should be really playing on a team that is trying to compete to win a Big Ten title. But since they love IU and want to be here, we're ok with them riding the bench, getting better, and hoping they can contribute something in their senior year. If that is the stance I guess I'm OK with it. If you get anything before then it's a bonus. 

Well no team play 13 players and usually have a rotation of 9 players so why not have a couple of guys at the end of the bench who wants to be at IU.

27 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Totally agree. My wife had this happen to her after her sophomore year. The new coach said you will sit at the end of the bench and life will be terrible or you can transfer. She thought it was a bluff so she stayed. She went from the 6th man to no playing time and being told to quit the other sport she was playing her junior year. Her senior year her athletic scholarship was taken away and was no longer part of the basketball team. She paid her own way her last semester and left the state of Kentucky for good. 

Coaches want their own people on staff and on the team. 

That is such a crock of sh!t, I hate hearing things like that.

2 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure your point, every teams 12th and 13th man just rides the pines. Almost every team only goes 8 or 9 deep for over 5 min/G PT. Leal and Galloway could easily be a12 and 13 on a B1G and NCAA championship team. If one leaves for Brooks, someone else will move down a notch and  lose PT to  Brooks or Brooks won't get the PT he wants and that is the guy that will most likely be an unhappy teammate.

I see a bigger potential problem with Hunter going from 20 min/G to 12-17 or Rob Phin 27 to 15ish. Galloway has to see the reduced minutes coming, but it will be a much harsher reality for an upperclassman to except graciously.

I agree and have been thinking (with zero inside knowledge) that Hunter would be more likely to move on.  I’m not saying that I want Hunter, or any of the other players, to leave but I would guess that towards the end of last year he assumed he would be a major minutes guy this season.  Major minutes are no longer assured, to say the least, and he might not accept that (I say “might not” because I have no idea what his mindset is).

One would think that Leal and Galloway have more of a “I’m not going to see a ton of minutes this year” mindset and, since they seem to really love IU, they might accept that. If they stay the unknown will be how long they remain happy if minutes continue to look bleak their junior and senior years. Who knows, but the portal will make things “interesting” every year.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Wish more people would realize this

Even if someone would leave the perception will be that they were pushed out to make room for Brooks.  I don't see why people worry so much about the 12th and 13th spot on the roster.  Look at the roster of our last championship team and see how many actually played any significant minutes.

Steve Alford SR G 6-2 22.0 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 3.6 Ast
Daryl Thomas SR F 6-7 15.7 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 0.8 Ast
Dean Garrett   C 6-10 11.4 Pts, 8.5 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Keith Smart   G 6-1 11.2 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 3.2 Ast
Rick Calloway   F 6-6 12.6 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 2.6 Ast
Steve Eyl JR F 6-6 3.0 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Joe Hillman SO G 6-2 2.5 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Magnus Pelkowski SO C 6-10 3.8 Pts, 1.9 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Kreigh Smith   G 6-7 1.5 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Tony Freeman   G 5-7 2.2 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 2.4 Ast
Brian Sloan SO F 6-8 2.1 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Todd Meier SR F 6-8 1.1 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 0.2 Ast