Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, Chris007 said:

Someone is going to leave before the start of next season on their own because they are going to realize they are not going to play much. 

I could definitely see that, and if that is the case then full steam ahead.

11 minutes ago, madmax said:

The problem is that Brooks coming would almost certainly cause drama because it would necessitate the encouraged departure of one of our current players. If one of them leaves under their own volition, so be it. But I hate to see a talented player get pushed out the door for a player whose likely going to be a 1 year rental.

You know, it's funny. For all the talk about making the program more insular, being a family, establishing culture, we have an awful lot of people who are ready to kick one of our kids to the curb just to get a slightly better player(Not directed at you @WayneFleekHoosier). These two things don't really seem to jive.

I strongly disagree that Brooks is only a “slightly better player” than Trey Galloway. Anyway, I don’t see the two as mutually exclusive. You build a good culture but you’re still looking to maximize your talent. No one is irreplaceable and the players know that. Plus, Keion Brooks is very good friends with our best player. The culture would be fine. 

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Only have 2 incoming recruits.  You want Bates on campus as soon as possible. That leaves Duncomb.   I think you will  need his center backup minutes next year. If a recruit goes the prep route you open up the option of him reopening his commitment plus you move your scholarship problem from this year to the next year 

I agree with the argument of the possibility of losing a recruit. That’s not what anyone wants to see happen.  I was thinking about the honest conversation between Woodson and Duncomb about the skills Logan would need to develop to play at this level at Indiana.  As I recall, Logan was appreciative of the constructive evaluation and looked forward to working on his game.  Maybe those skills could be addressed at a prep school. 
Whatever happens, I totally support Coach Woodson. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I strongly disagree that Brooks is only a “slightly better player” than Trey Galloway. Anyway, I don’t see the two as mutually exclusive. You build a good culture but you’re still looking to maximize your talent. No one is irreplaceable and the players know that. Plus, Keion Brooks is very good friends with our best player. The culture would be fine. 

Ok. Even still. What is better for the program? 1 to 2 years of Brooks or 3-4 years of Galloway? I'd argue that Galloway with proper development would be far, far more valuable to the program. It's not just about 2021-2022, it's about the next few years after that too.

12 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Nope, you have me confused with someone else, I never said I was done with IU, although I did hate the hire.

Also, not saying it's MY honeymoon- talking about Woodson's. Things have gone well his first few weeks and everyone seems happy with the direction of the program, right? = Honeymoon. 

Finally, I've always thought Brooks was a mediocre headcase, not just now. 

You're welcome. 

Great leaders of young people can fix the "head cases".   Woodson could be just that.  

1 hour ago, iu eyedoc said:

I am indifferent to the Brooks to IU talk, but a thought about why if he wants to transfer to IU he hasn't announced it yet.

He is a student in Lexington KY, that has already ruffled the feathers of UK fans with his Rupp comments, to announce you are going to transfer to a hated rival with months left in the semester would turned him into a pariah at best and a target of hate by many.

Imagine TJD tweeting, " Bob Knight was a whip carrying racist...oh, and I am entering the portal to transfer to Purdue. Boiler Down!!"

Yup...and the UK semester ends on May 13th. Ya think maybe an academic all-conference player who may be transferring but wants to attend classes until the semester is over might wait until then? If May 20th passes silently then it's officially a dead issue.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

Ok. Even still. What is better for the program? 1 to 2 years of Brooks or 3-4 years of Galloway? I'd argue that Galloway with proper development would be far, far more valuable to the program. It's not just about 2021-2022, it's about the next few years after that too.

The portal isn’t just a one way street. Loyalty from players is going to be less than it has been in the past because if they’re not playing much they can transfer to another school and play immediately. That’s going to impact coaches’ decisions moving forward. Galloway is ok with his position right now, but will he still be ok with it after a year of riding the bench? Will he be ok with Coach Woodson bringing in more guys who will play over him? You never know. It’s going to be harder to count on guys being ok with not playing much in years 1 and 2 and then hopefully contributing in years 3 and 4 when they can leave and play immediately. So, give a year or two of Brooks every time. We know he can contribute right now. 

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I believe you are right.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already tbh.  

Sometimes you have see it with your own eyes or just waiting for the semester to end. I'm guessing after some open gyms when everyone is here in June you will see something

37 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Sounds good for someone to voluntarily become a walk-on for numbers sake but not many examples where it has been done especially at IU.   McDermott did it when he played at Creighton for his senior year but his dad was coach.   There is a couple other examples but I would have to dig them up 

Didn't Zach McRoberts willingly transfer in as a walk-on?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Sometimes you have see it with your own eyes or just waiting for the semester to end. I'm guessing after some open gyms when everyone is here in June you will see something

I think we’ll see a guard leave. No clue who it will be, but I have a guess. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Someone is going to leave before the start of next season on their own because they are going to realize they are not going to play much. 

I think Galloway and Leal already realize that this is likely the case for them next year....so the logical possibility is that if Brooks came and Galloway left, you STILL would have another player leaving before the year started because they wouldn’t see much playing time.  In essence, you could be looking at two players leaving for Brooks coming.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Didn't Zach McRoberts willingly transfer in as a walk-on?

He gave up with scholly to come to IU first just as a student.   He was done with basketball.   After being on campus for a while Crean convinced him to join the team as a walk-on 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He had a chance to play for Archie Miller. I can’t blame any recruit for not jumping on that chance. Now he has the chance to play for Mike Woodson. Kids commit to the coach more than anything. 

Yup. Quotes from the Noah Clowney article on peegs verify this. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He had a chance to play for Archie Miller. I can’t blame any recruit for not jumping on that chance. Now he has the chance to play for Mike Woodson. Kids commit to the coach more than anything. 

I see what you´re saying. and agree

2 hours ago, ap2345 said:

You also don't run off a kid who's dad is one of the top high school coaches in the state when it's your first year on the job. I get that Woody isn't just recruiting Indiana but you don't want to burn those bridges already. He's very Sheehey like and I'll take that off the bench any day. 

He isn't the athlete that Sheehey was.  Also, Woody didn't recruit him.  Kids have the option to transfer when a coach leaves for this very reason.  This is his team now.  His a%* is on the line and he has the right to build the team he wants.   I can tell you first hand what it's like when a new college coach comes in that didn't recruit you.  You can either sit at the end of the bench and get the silent treatment or go to where you are wanted.    

It may make Dad mad, but Woody has plenty of Indiana support and winning will get him all the support he needs.