Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also missing the tournament, terrible basketball (no defense, 25 turnovers, crazy subs) p*ssing off everyone in the athletic department all played a role too. 

The fact that he stopped landing recruits played a major role in the losing part of things. It didn't cause all of his problems though. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m sorry, but the whole “burning bridges by making coaches mad” thing is overblown. Do you think John Calipari worries about ‘burning bridges’? He pushes out 5 stars and reloads every year. Do you think Coach K worries about burning bridges?

Say Keion comes in next year and helps IU win a Big Ten title or make a tournament run. Do you really think the good that would do to recruiting would be outweighed by the bad from making one coach mad? Because I certainly don’t. Big 10 basketball is the big time. You always need to be looking for ways to improve your roster or else you’re going to get passed up by other teams. Especially now that the transfer portal is going to be permanent. 

He doesn't recruit Kentucky. Indiana is not Kentucky. You can't compare the two. How many major programs go to Kentucky to land recruits? Not many. How many come to Indiana? A ton. It's not overblown. Winning would help fix the problem but it wouldn't be a good look for someone that's trying to fix Indiana basketball. This is a dumb argument though because Brooks won't be at IU and it's all pointless. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’m sorry, but the whole “burning bridges by making coaches mad” thing is overblown. Do you think John Calipari worries about ‘burning bridges’? He pushes out 5 stars and reloads every year. Do you think Coach K worries about burning bridges?

Say Keion comes in next year and helps IU win a Big Ten title or make a tournament run. Do you really think the good that would do to recruiting would be outweighed by the bad from making one coach mad? Because I certainly don’t. Big 10 basketball is the big time. You always need to be looking for ways to improve your roster or else you’re going to get passed up by other teams. Especially now that the transfer portal is going to be permanent. 

If Calipari and Coach K ran programs in states that produce the level of talent Indiana produces on a regular basis, they would probably think twice about alienating coaches within the state.

5 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

He doesn't recruit Kentucky. Indiana is not Kentucky. You can't compare the two. How many major programs go to Kentucky to land recruits? Not many. How many come to Indiana? A ton. It's not overblown. Winning would help fix the problem but it wouldn't be a good look for someone that's trying to fix Indiana basketball. This is a dumb argument though because Brooks won't be at IU and it's all pointless. 

Really a good point you brought up about Galloway possibly going to LN or BS. I had never thought about that, it could absolutely happen. 

Although.. I would assume BS is Coyle's to lose. 

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure where I stand on this but basically what I'm hearing is fans are happy with us not really using scholarships 12 and 13 for a couple of years. I put Galloway at 12, Leal at 13. Neither should be really playing on a team that is trying to compete to win a Big Ten title. But since they love IU and want to be here, we're ok with them riding the bench, getting better, and hoping they can contribute something in their senior year. If that is the stance I guess I'm OK with it. If you get anything before then it's a bonus. 

Not sure your point, every teams 12th and 13th man just rides the pines. Almost every team only goes 8 or 9 deep for over 5 min/G PT. Leal and Galloway could easily be a12 and 13 on a B1G and NCAA championship team. If one leaves for Brooks, someone else will move down a notch and  lose PT to  Brooks or Brooks won't get the PT he wants and that is the guy that will most likely be an unhappy teammate.

I see a bigger potential problem with Hunter going from 20 min/G to 12-17 or Rob Phin 27 to 15ish. Galloway has to see the reduced minutes coming, but it will be a much harsher reality for an upperclassman to except graciously.

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

Calipari recruits Indiana and hasn’t struggled to pull top talent out of the state despite pushing players out. We see it differently and that’s fine. If we get Brooks then awesome. If not, I’m happy with the team that we have. We’ll see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Really a good point you brought up about Galloway possibly going to LN or BS. I had never thought about that, it could absolutely happen. 

Although.. I would assume BS is Coyle's to lose. 

It is a good point because it would never happen. Neither school is going to hire someone his age. Not sure what the staff at LN is like but I know South well and he wouldn't be top 3 maybe top 5 on the list at South. South has two former head coaches on staff, with Criss Beyers also being a long-time assistant. 

3 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not sure your point, every teams 12th and 13th man just rides the pines. Almost every team only goes 8 or 9 deep for over 5 min/G PT. Leal and Galloway could easily be a12 and 13 on a B1G and NCAA championship team. If one leaves for Brooks, someone else will move down a notch and  lose PT to  Brooks or Brooks won't get the PT he wants and that is the guy that will most likely be an unhappy teammate.

I see a bigger potential problem with Hunter going from 20 min/G to 12-17 or Rob Phin 27 to 15ish. Galloway has to see the reduced minutes coming, but it will be a much harsher reality for an upperclassman to except graciously.

My point is IU fans seem to be happy with keeping kids who would be 12 or 13 and not taking someone who would come in a be a top 6 rotation guy this year. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It is a good point because it would never happen. Neither school is going to hire someone his age. Not sure what the staff at LN is like but I know South well and he wouldn't be top 3 maybe top 5 on the list at South. South has two former head coaches on staff, with Criss Beyers also being a long-time assistant. 

Could happen at LN for sure. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I just mentioned those as hypothetical situations. You never know when a coach could move on to a job that could impact your recruiting going forward. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm well educated on the BS staff. 

Yes, you said Coyle, I hope he gets it myself since I like him the best, but not sure it hasn't been promised to Kyle too. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But crap.. 3 years ago he was a 5 STAR!!!! 

And this past season he outscored and out rebounded our returning 4 in fewer minutes per game. 

9 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

If Calipari and Coach K ran programs in states that produce the level of talent Indiana produces on a regular basis, they would probably think twice about alienating coaches within the state.

Woody has a great personality. You don’t get praise from so many former players of his without one. He’s the opposite of Crean in that department. Do you legitimately believe that forcing out an Indiana kid he never recruited would keep top Indiana talent away from IU if we’re consistently top 4 or 5 in the conference?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Yes, you said Coyle, I hope he gets it myself since I like him the best, but not sure it hasn't been promised to Kyle too. 

From coaching against them/other interactions... it certainly appears Coyle is the guy now. I really don't know though. I think they do an excellent job. 

I am indifferent to the Brooks to IU talk, but a thought about why if he wants to transfer to IU he hasn't announced it yet.

He is a student in Lexington KY, that has already ruffled the feathers of UK fans with his Rupp comments, to announce you are going to transfer to a hated rival with months left in the semester would turned him into a pariah at best and a target of hate by many.

Imagine TJD tweeting, " Bob Knight was a whip carrying racist...oh, and I am entering the portal to transfer to Purdue. Boiler Down!!"

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

And this past season he outscored and out rebounded our returning 4 in fewer minutes per game. 

Woody has a great personality. You don’t get praise from so many former players of his without one. He’s the opposite of Crean in that department. Do you legitimately believe that forcing out an Indiana kid he never recruited would keep top Indiana talent away from IU if we’re consistently top 4 or 5 in the conference?

I want Brooks on our team. I by no means think he is the "missing piece" or whatever. 

Portal is open all year long.  Just because someone took his name out of the portal doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t do it again when things change.  Brockington from Penn St came back after talking to the new coaching staff, then weeks later put his name back in.   Speculation is all anyone has.   Fact is until Brooks officially puts his name in the portal it doesn’t matter.  Players have their own choice to make on what will make them stay or leave.  My own opinion is with the new transfer rules it’s going to be hard for programs to convince kids to stay in the program with little playing time early and offering growing and developing  and by junior or senior years producing.   Even if some players stay on as the 12 or 13th guy within programs chances are the next year they are probably moving on to a different program.   Different landscape moving forward 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

My point is IU fans seem to be happy with keeping kids who would be 12 or 13 and not taking someone who would come in a be a top 6 rotation guy this year. 

My point is there is typically a very sharp line at about 8-10 with players getting more than 5 min/G. I see Galloway and Leal being more accepting of the limited minutes roll than, say Geronimo or Hunter. I see a potential problem more with the 8-10 slot guys staying happy with lesser minutes. Galloway's minutes from last year have realistically  already been given to other players, Brooks would be knocking someone else out of PT that may not be accepting of such a thing.   I think that is where things need to be worked out.

21 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Portal is open all year long.  Just because someone took his name out of the portal doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t do it again when things change.  Brockington from Penn St came back after talking to the new coaching staff, then weeks later put his name back in.   Speculation is all anyone has.   Fact is until Brooks officially puts his name in the portal it doesn’t matter.  Players have their own choice to make on what will make them stay or leave.  My own opinion is with the new transfer rules it’s going to be hard for programs to convince kids to stay in the program with little playing time early and offering growing and developing  and by junior or senior years producing.   Even if some players stay on as the 12 or 13th guy within programs chances are the next year they are probably moving on to a different program.   Different landscape moving forward 

Yep, beyond the top 8 to10 rotation, turnover is going to be immense. That is why finding 3 star guys like Leal and Galloway that bleed Hoosier Cream and Crimson will become more valuable. If not it will just become musical chairs on the bottom half of college rosters.

I would really like basketball to take on the college baseball model:

Players are eligible for the Major League Baseball draft out of high school. However, if a player attends a four-year university, they are not eligible for the draft again until after their junior year of college.

If players know they have to stay for 3 years they will be more accepting of "earning" PT. At least, I think it will help.