Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I agree with you. All I’m saying is I just don’t see them getting many minutes now or in the future. I like having them on the team and wish nothing but the best from them. Just talking about actual playtime and talent. 

We as fans don't have to see it. We think Lander is someone that is going to help us down the road because of some silly ranking that was given to him when he was 14, but he is BEHIND. 2 years from now.. I will be pretty surprised if TG and AL aren't in our top 8 or 9. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure where I stand on this but basically what I'm hearing is fans are happy with us not really using scholarships 12 and 13 for a couple of years. I put Galloway at 12, Leal at 13. Neither should be really playing on a team that is trying to compete to win a Big Ten title. But since they love IU and want to be here, we're ok with them riding the bench, getting better, and hoping they can contribute something in their senior year. If that is the stance I guess I'm OK with it. If you get anything before then it's a bonus. 

I agree I love both but I don’t know about you but I want to start winning right away and if that is getting rid of the future I think I’m ok with it because our staff is doing amazing right now in recruiting.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure where I stand on this but basically what I'm hearing is fans are happy with us not really using scholarships 12 and 13 for a couple of years. I put Galloway at 12, Leal at 13. Neither should be really playing on a team that is trying to compete to win a Big Ten title. But since they love IU and want to be here, we're ok with them riding the bench, getting better, and hoping they can contribute something in their senior year. If that is the stance I guess I'm OK with it. If you get anything before then it's a bonus. 

Right now, correct. 

29 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

You also don't run off a kid who's dad is one of the top high school coaches in the state when it's your first year on the job. I get that Woody isn't just recruiting Indiana but you don't want to burn those bridges already. He's very Sheehey like and I'll take that off the bench any day. 

His dad coaches at Culver Academy. Other than Trey, how many guys have we gotten from there? None come to mind. Woody came in and landed a top 25 guard from IMG Academy in a matter of weeks. I don’t think he’s worried about a bad relationship with one Indiana high school coach dooming his recruiting. With his NBA resume, if he succeeds here he will have elite players fighting over spots. Besides, this is different from recruiting a player and then pushing him out. Woody never recruited Trey. 

We want to be a blue blood, well that’s how blue bloods operate. John Calipari has run off players far better than Trey Galloway and he’s recruiting just fine. I’m not even saying that I hope Trey gets pushed out. But if the chance to get Keion is there, and Trey is the cost, it’s a no brainer. We’re a top 25 team and a legit conference contender next year if that happened. That’d be a helluva outcome after where we were a month ago. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I like guys that have a track record of winning to fill out the roster. Then beyond that if they develop and contribute as juniors and seniors then great. If not then they can be guys that play spot minutes and won't kill you. That's what you need at the end of the bench. Also Baylor won the national championship and had their last 2-3 scholarship players on their roster that had lower recruiting rankings/grades than Galloway and Leal. So yes you can win with them being your last two scholarships. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

His dad coaches at Culver Academy. Other than Trey, how many guys have we gotten from there? None come to mind. Woody came in and landed a top 25 guard from IMG Academy in a matter of weeks. I don’t think he’s worried about a bad relationship with one Indiana high school coach dooming his recruiting. With his NBA resume, if he succeeds here he will have elite players fighting over spots. Besides, this is different from recruiting a player and then pushing him out. Woody never recruited Trey. 

We want to be a blue blood, well that’s how blue bloods operate. John Calipari has run off players far better than Trey Galloway and he’s recruiting just fine. I’m not even saying that I hope Trey gets pushed out. But if the chance to get Keion is there, and Trey is the cost, it’s a no brainer. We’re a top 25 team and a legit conference contender next year if that happened. That’d be a helluva outcome after where we were a month ago. 

Sorry but you don't make one of the top coaches in the state mad. Say he moves to another job in a couple years at say LN or Bloomington South for example. That would be a problem and is always possible. You don't burn bridges especially in Indiana. It would impact more than just getting guys from Culver but if you've never coached high school or AAU in the state you wouldn't understand that. 

For argument’s sake, let’s say it would be Hunter leaving instead. Would Brooks be an upgrade? I don’t know a lot about his game, but from what I gather he’s a worse shooter but better rebounder and defender. Is that accurate?

Just now, kottke said:

For argument’s sake, let’s say it would be Hunter leaving instead. Would Brooks be an upgrade? I don’t know a lot about his game, but from what I gather he’s a worse shooter but better rebounder and defender. Is that accurate?

I think Brooks+Kopp > Kopp+Hunter..... I also would say Brooks+Hunter> Kopp+Hunter. I think this because Brooks skill set compliments the other two... where I see Kopp and Hunter closer to the same player than Brooks. 

13 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Sorry but you don't make one of the top coaches in the state mad. Say he moves to another job in a couple years at say LN or Bloomington South for example. You don't burn bridges especially in Indiana. It would impact more than just getting guys from Culver but if you've never coached high school or AAU in the state you wouldn't understand that. 

IIRC, burning bridges in Indiana played a bit of a role in Crean's departure didn't it?

3 minutes ago, kottke said:

That's accurate plus Brooks is a much better athlete and actually has better shooting form than Hunter. Brooks will actually put pressure on the defense were as Hunter has never really done that. 

6 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I like guys that have a track record of winning to fill out the roster. Then beyond that if they develop and contribute as juniors and seniors then great. If not then they can be guys that play spot minutes and won't kill you. That's what you need at the end of the bench. Also Baylor won the national championship and had their last 2-3 scholarship players on their roster that had lower recruiting rankings/grades than Galloway and Leal. So yes you can win with them being your last two scholarships. 

Leal came from Bloomington South. JR Holmes has won there for 40 years. Not like Leal made them a winner or something. I understand what your saying but Leal just doesn't fit that. But I do agree about having winning players and winning attitudes on the team. 

14 minutes ago, kottke said:

That's my impression as well, and it doesn't really make sense to swap Hunter for Brooks if the previous poster was right about Woodson not wanting to play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Leal came from Bloomington South. JR Holmes has won there for 40 years. Not like Leal made them a winner or something. I understand what your saying but Leal just doesn't fit that. But I do agree about having winning players and winning attitudes on the team. 

Leal not as much as Galloway but it's still a kid that has grown up in a winning culture. That's something that IU needs more of. You have to have talent but also guys that know how to fill a role and what it takes to win. 

5 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Sorry but you don't make one of the top coaches in the state mad. Say he moves to another job in a couple years at say LN or Bloomington South for example. That would be a problem and is always possible. You don't burn bridges especially in Indiana. It would impact more than just getting guys from Culver but if you've never coached high school or AAU in the state you wouldn't understand that. 

I’m sorry, but the whole “burning bridges by making coaches mad” thing is overblown. Do you think John Calipari worries about ‘burning bridges’? He pushes out 5 stars and reloads every year. Do you think Coach K worries about burning bridges?

Say Keion comes in next year and helps IU win a Big Ten title or make a tournament run. Do you really think the good that would do to recruiting would be outweighed by the bad from making one coach mad? Because I certainly don’t. Big 10 basketball is the big time. You always need to be looking for ways to improve your roster or else you’re going to get passed up by other teams. Especially now that the transfer portal is going to be permanent.