Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, Bigred3588 said:

Thought this would be interesting. The first stat line is Trey Galloway's freshman season. The second is the stat line from another 6'4 wing with whom you're all familiar. Can you guess who it is?

MPG: 19.6; FG% 41.7; 3P% 18.2; FT% 73.7; REB 1.9; AST 1.6; BLK 0.0; STL 0.4; TO 1.0; PTS 3.6

MPG: 17.1; FG% 45.0; 3P% 24.3; FT% 68.3; REB 2.1; AST 1.5; BLK 0.1; STL 1.0; TO 1.4; PTS 3.3

Michael Jordan? 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I just don’t really see it. No offense to Trey, but players like him are a dime a dozen. We can land players who have those same intangibles but also have more talent. He was a 3 star recruit ranked outside the top 150. If things go well for him then he could play that role as a senior, but he doesn’t have the shooting or the raw athleticism that some guys who outplay their rankings have. 

Woody wants to win now, and with his age his shelf life at IU is about a decade more or less. Does he want to wait around and see if Galloway develops, or does he want to get as much talent as he can right now? When you’re a new coach coming in with the portal, your first worry is crap are all these guys going to leave? Now that that’s obviously not a problem, he can be picky. 

You also don't run off a kid who's dad is one of the top high school coaches in the state when it's your first year on the job. I get that Woody isn't just recruiting Indiana but you don't want to burn those bridges already. He's very Sheehey like and I'll take that off the bench any day. 

5 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Thought this would be interesting. The first stat line is Trey Galloway's freshman season. The second is the stat line from another 6'4 wing with whom you're all familiar. Can you guess who it is?

MPG: 19.6; FG% 41.7; 3P% 18.2; FT% 73.7; REB 1.9; AST 1.6; BLK 0.0; STL 0.4; TO 1.0; PTS 3.6

MPG: 17.1; FG% 45.0; 3P% 24.3; FT% 68.3; REB 2.1; AST 1.5; BLK 0.1; STL 1.0; TO 1.4; PTS 3.3

Coach Fife

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Woody wants to win now, and with his age his shelf life at IU is about a decade more or less. Does he want to wait around and see if Galloway develops, or does he want to get as much talent as he can right now?

I don't see Woody going 13 deep.  

Just now, ap2345 said:

You also don't run off a kid who's dad is one of the top high school coaches in the state when it's your first year on the job. I get that Woody isn't just recruiting Indiana but you don't want to burn those bridges already. He's very Sheehey like and I'll take that off the bench any day. 

Leal and Galloway are completely fine. They will find their minutes. I've mentioned before... but both won 4 sectionals in HS, like 2 regionals, 1 Semi state, 1 state... won like 85% of their games or more in HS. They are going to find minutes. "winning"... all they do is win, literally. 

I don't think they will play much this year, that is completely fine.. they should not have had to play much last year. But jesus.. both came out when they didn't even know who their coach would be and said "I'm a Hoosier for life".. now we are assuming we can do better? Nahh. 

6 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Coach Dane Fife

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Leal and Galloway are completely fine. They will find their minutes. I've mentioned before... but both won 4 sectionals in HS, like 2 regionals, 1 Semi state, 1 state... won like 85% of their games or more in HS. They are going to find minutes. "winning"... all they do is win, literally. 

I don't think they will play much this year, that is completely fine.. they should not have had to play much last year. But jesus.. both came out when they didn't even know who their coach would be and said "I'm a Hoosier for life".. now we are assuming we can do better? Nahh. 

I completely agree. Hunter is who I could see leaving more than anyone. Doubt he'd like a minutes reduction and I don't know were his minutes would come from with Kopp, Brooks, and Geronimo all needing minutes. Not to mention Race will get some time at the 4. I just don't see it plus he's awful on defense and doesn't do much except be a streaky shooter. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don’t want to get into a pissing match about this but we absolutely can do better, which is why we went out and got Xavier Johnson and Tamar bates. I love Galloway and Leal and their commitment to IU. It’s awesome to see and doesn’t happen much anymore. But I’m also trying to be realistic. These guys are not getting minutes on a final four type team where we want to be. You always have to look for talent upgrades on your roster. If they’re fine being end of the bench guys then that’s great. It really is. I just don’t see us winning in the future if they’re getting many minutes.

Just now, VO5 said:

I don’t want to get into a pissing match about this but we absolutely can do better, which is why we went out and got Xavier Johnson and Tamar bates. I love Galloway and Leal and their commitment to IU. It’s awesome to see and doesn’t happen much anymore. But I’m also trying to be realistic. These guys are not getting minutes on a final four type team where we want to be. You always have to look for talent upgrades on your roster. If they’re fine being end of the bench guys then that’s great. It really is. I just don’t see us winning in the future if they’re getting many minutes.

Ok. I think you are completely wrong, but that's fine. I don't think either will play this year, I am glad we got XJ and TB.. we needed them. We can't have a team full of Galloways, but you have to have 1 or 2. Roles matter. Fit matters. But again.. you want winning right? Well those two have won more than anyone on our roster. You absolutely cannot draw those conclusions from the FR year... especially from a team as dysfunctional as ours. 

Every talented offensive player we get... Galloways value increases that much more. 

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I don't know that. I just know I'm told as soon as he enters the portal he will be a Hoosier. I've been told that twice now. Me personally I'm almost to the point of being over Brooks. 

I think as soon as CJ Fredrick transfers to UK, this happens. They don't play the same position but that probably bumps Keion to the bench at UK. I have a feeling they start Oscar and the freshman Collins at the 4 and 5 spots. Keion I think would be a very a good addition. He's not as bad as some think . He would start obviously. I'm just not on high on him as I was two years ago.

Hypothetically looking at the depth chart if this happens, minute wise this would hurt Hunter but I think in a way it hurts Lander's minutes too. Think the lineup would be Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Brooks, TJD. Rob and Bates IMO are the top two guards off the bench. I think Lander is really going to be on himself this offseason and get better. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think as soon as CJ Fredrick transfers to UK, this happens. They don't play the same position but that probably bumps Keion to the bench at UK. I have a feeling they start Oscar and the freshman Collins at the 4 and 5 spots. Keion I think would be a very a good addition. He's not as bad as some think . He would start obviously. I'm just not on high on him as I was two years ago.

Hypothetically looking at the depth chart if this happens, minute wise this would hurt Hunter but I think in a way it hurts Lander's minutes too. Think the lineup would be Johnson, Stewart, Kopp, Brooks, TJD. Rob and Bates IMO are the top two guards off the bench. I think Lander is really going to be on himself this offseason and get better. 

I think UK is also going after the transfer from Vandy who is a 4 and would 100% start. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I honestly never was that high on him. He's a very solid player, but he isn't this Mcdonald's AA he was touted to be. He just isn't. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I think there is a lot of assumption in this thread that if Keion Brooks came to IU Trey Galloway would be the one leave.

I'm not sure why that would necessarily be so. No reason to believe it would be so.

Agree. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. I think you are completely wrong, but that's fine. I don't think either will play this year, I am glad we got XJ and TB.. we needed them. We can't have a team full of Galloways, but you have to have 1 or 2. Roles matter. Fit matters. But again.. you want winning right? Well those two have won more than anyone on our roster. You absolutely cannot draw those conclusions from the FR year... especially from a team as dysfunctional as ours. 

Every talented offensive player we get... Galloways value increases that much more. 

I respect that opinion. Probably just something to agree to disagree on. I like having those guys on the roster as culture builders and that can’t be understated. I’m just talking from a talent perspective that I don’t think those guys will be getting any sort of extended minutes past this season. I do want to win and it’s always great to have winners on the roster but high school wins don’t always translate to college. Lots of these D1 guys were big winners in high school. Doesn’t always translate. Give me more of the Bates types in that sweet spot of the rankings and we can be more like a Villanova or a Virginia. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think there is a lot of assumption in this thread that if Keion Brooks came to IU Trey Galloway would be the one leave.

I'm not sure why that would necessarily be so. No reason to believe it would be so.

Chris said that’s what he was told, I believe 

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

And for those that don’t want Brooks for two years, did you feel the same way about Zeisloft? Oh? It’s because Nick wasn’t from a rival?

How ‘bout the one year of Bielfeldt, UM traitor that he was? Kopp? He has bled purple for three years.

My personal feeling is that the guys that are here I want to stay. If a spot opens up because a guy wants to move on, fine, bring on Brooks, but suddenly having a playing time conversation with a player to nudge him out the door for Brooks, esp with an old school 80's middle part Hoosier for life type would be sort of a buzz kill for the party that has been IU basketball the last month.

These through thick and thin guys are what make a program great. Creaning either would be a disappointment.

4 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I respect that opinion. Probably just something to agree to disagree on. I like having those guys on the roster as culture builders and that can’t be understated. I’m just talking from a talent perspective that I don’t think those guys will be getting any sort of extended minutes past this season. I do want to win and it’s always great to have winners on the roster but high school wins don’t always translate to college. Lots of these D1 guys were big winners in high school. Doesn’t always translate. Give me more of the Bates types in that sweet spot of the rankings and we can be more like a Villanova or a Virginia. 

But teams still need roles players regardless of what's on the front of the jersey. I wanted Bates in bunches... we flat out needed him, and by all accounts he is going to be awesome for us, on and off the court. We've seen teams with awful balance in recent years. TG going to make practice hell on TB. That's a good thing. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But teams still need roles players regardless of what's on the front of the jersey. I wanted Bates in bunches... we flat out needed him, and by all accounts he is going to be awesome for us, on and off the court. We've seen teams with awful balance in recent years. TG going to make practice hell on TB. That's a good thing. 

I agree with you. All I’m saying is I just don’t see them getting many minutes now or in the future. I like having them on the team and wish nothing but the best from them. Just talking about actual playtime and talent. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don't get me wrong, I would like a player of Brooks ability as well as being from Indiana...... On the other hand, Trey Galloway may not have the shooting ability BUT, he exudes the grit, hustle and desire to represent IU basketball every second he is on and off the floor.