Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Huge difference.  Galloway was recruited, offered, and accepted a scholarship.  And cutting players loose like that in the long run can cause damage, especially with kids in state.  Certainly would make some coaches think twice about advising their players to go to IU if they feel they aren't going to honor the scholarship.

I agree wholeheartedly to that last part. 100%.

But, we have no idea at this point whether Galloway (or any other player) is being Creaned or leaving on their own accord.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, JHoosier914 said:

I agree wholeheartedly to that last part. 100%.

But, we have no idea at this point whether Galloway (or any other player) is being Creaned or leaving on their own accord.

If Galloway were to leave, there is no other conclusion that can be drawn than he was forced out.  That has been clear from everything that he has said as well as his family.

28 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I like Galloway and what he brings to the team. His shot may or may not improve but he brings a lot of other things to the table and most importantly, he has been IU through and through.

whether Brooks is better or not, not convinced but can see the argument. Regardless, I don’t see either being a starter next year so why push out the loyal kid for one that could have been a Hoosier coming out of high school, could have come after his freshmen year, could have come when IU was trying to fill our roster over the last month but waited and waited and waited until our roster was set and remained to this day with our slimy rival. 

I like the 13 that bleed IU. I don’t want him. I’ve said my peace. Here is to hoping we see the 13 we currently have when the ball tips for our first exhibition game

Because at the end of the day Coach Woodson is trying to get IU back to national prominence and we need high-level players to do that. Keion hasn’t lived up to his rankings but the staff must see something there (assuming these rumors are true). 

I completely see where you’re coming from man. If I’m being honest, I wasn’t a fan of it when I first heard the rumors either. Keion’s recruitment left a bad taste in my mouth. He had his chance to come here and he scorned us for UK instead. But at the end of the day, coaches aren’t going to see it the same way that fans do. None of our coaches were even here when IU was recruiting Keion. I’m still skeptical that he’ll be at IU, but if he is I think he will help us win games. 

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Perhaps, so when IU had 4 scholarships open for weeks... where was he then?

Oh my goodness. If Keion Brooks comes to IU, do you really think it would be a spur of the moment decision after no interaction until this week ...  just because we don’t know about it?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh my goodness. If Keion Brooks comes to IU, do you really think it would be a spur of the moment decision after no interaction until this week ...  just because we don’t know about it?

Thanks.  We have heard rumblings for weeks about this possibility. He and TJD are friends. 

Just now, JHoosier914 said:

Before better players came in to eat minutes. Circumstances fluctuate all the time

It was just today that the family was tweeting that Trey is in it for the long run.  That's not happening if he had any uncertainity.

14 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

No offense to this logic of thinking, truly, but I want to play for IU and I have never wavered on that. As a kid, I used to dream that being able to play for IU would be my last wish from the genie in Aladdin. Doesn’t mean that (in this hypothetical situation) that I should be playing for IU and/or fans/the staff can’t want/try to recruit a better athlete or player.

I get that.

For instance, I had no issue with Archie giving Gelon the boot. I guess I should have also said that I think Trey has the potential to be a really, really  nice player by his junior year... I’d hate to see him go elsewhere and succeed just because we want instant gratification.

If Galloway were to leave, there is no other conclusion that can be drawn than he was forced out.  That has been clear from everything that he has said as well as his family.

Possibly. But if I was ranking IU's top 13 scholarship players for next year, I would probably have Galloway ranked either 12 or 13 along with Leal. Of the guards, he's behind XJ, Stewart, Lander, Kopp, and Rob.

It's nice that he is a good passer and plays hard, but he brings very little to the offense and won't until he becomes at least an average shooter. I'll be a bit surprised if he plays regularly this year. If he has been told that and wants to go somewhere he can get minutes, that would make sense. If he sees all these things and still wants to stay at IU but gets cut, then I would feel a bit bad about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that.
For instance, I had no issue with Archie giving Gelon the boot. I guess I should have also said that I think Trey has the potential to be a really, really  nice player by his junior year... I’d hate to see him go elsewhere and succeed just because we want instant gratification.

I also do not care for instant gratification. It’s what I attempt to teach my students against in all things.

With the one time transfer rule, I believe we will be seeing a lot more instant gratification in the form of players moving and making immediate impacts on different teams. If Brooks had to sit out a year and we were only gaining him for 1-ish years (let say), I would be more in the Galloway camp.

It’s all a conversation in good fun. Nothing is anything but speculation at this point. Glad we’re able to have a fun conversation about it.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That’s my point... he knows more about Indiana basketball than any of the additions IU made over the last month. Those kids, when given the opportunity, jumped at the chance to come to IU. 

did Brooks just learn about the transfer portal? Why now, why wait 3 years, why wait until we filled every one of our scholarships? 

He’s not geeked to play at IU, if he was he would have come at a million different times when we had scholarships open for him to say “yes”

1 minute ago, madmax said:

I get that.

And IMO, it's just a marginal team improvement.  He's an athletic kid, good rebounder, guy who can play the 3/4, doesn't shoot well.  Jordan Geronimo is like that but probably has a higher ceiling on his ability to shoot.  Race Thompson put up 9 and 6 last year, Keion put up 10 and 7.  More Brooks means less Jerome Hunter....does it mean less Miller Kopp?  At best, IMO, it is a very marginal improvement for the team.  Miller Kopp might not be a better player than Brooks but he improved our team more because he provides more of a need we lack.

4 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Possibly. But if I was ranking IU's top 13 scholarship players for next year, I would probably have Galloway ranked either 12 or 13 along with Leal. Of the guards, he's behind XJ, Stewart, Lander, Kopp, and Rob.

It's nice that he is a good passer and plays hard, but he brings very little to the offense and won't until he becomes at least an average shooter. I'll be a bit surprised if he plays regularly this year. If he has been told that and wants to go somewhere he can get minutes, that would make sense. If he sees all these things and still wants to stay at IU but gets cut, then I would feel a bit bad about that.

Kopp's not a guard.  Bates is.  Galloway is a 2/3.  Regardless, if you fill 13 scholarships, someone is going to be 12 or 13.  Simply put, I'm not going to be convinced that the guys most willing to be 12th and 13th in minutes aren't Leal and Galloway....because if Brooks comes in and Galloway were to leave, then there are a lot of other guys that are losing minutes.

Anyway, just all conjecture.  I'm a Galloway guy because he chose to come here and he is currently wearing the uniform.

I would honestly rather keep Galloway over getting any player. If the number one player in the country Chet Holmgren or whoever decided that he wanted to come I would still rather keep Galloway. He wanted to here and has seemingly never wavered from that. If that’s the difference between a trip to the E8 or S16 and a first round exit so be it.

If I am Woody and Chet Holmgren calls telling me that he’s coming ONLY if Trey Galloway leaves, I am going to Trey’s apartment immediately and helping him pack his things.

10 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I’m not sold on XJ... seen some highlights .every one just pencils him in the starting rotation , somebody has to score on a bad team. His shot looks really funky...

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Don’t be surprised if he’s not a Hoosier by the end of the weekend. I just hope the name I’m hearing isn’t the one to leave to make room for Brooks. He’s a personal favorite of mine.

Ugh- if that happens it's the end of the honeymoon. Things have gone so well, this has the potential to really sour it. Kicking out someone that wants to be at IU for a mediocre head-case like Brooks? I really hope this is wrong or there is a lot more we don't know. DO NOT WANT BROOKS- open scholarship or not. But pushing someone out for him is crap. 

35 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

Before better players came in to eat minutes. Circumstances fluctuate all the time

Certain players, such as a 5-star Lander, might leave if they fear there will be a lack of playing time. These players likely expect playing time, and they know time is of the essence. A 3-star recruit likely doesn’t come to a program like Indiana if he expects immediate playing time. He more likely came here for the very reason he said he did (the school and the love he had for its historical basketball program) and to be a part of something he always dreamed of. Role players are crucial to most programs...the type of players who happily do whatever it takes for the team to win and cheer from the sideline whether or not they even see the court. They are there to be a part of something bigger than themselves. There are walk-ons at Indiana and other power conference schools, and most (if not all) could have gone to a much smaller school to play minutes. Galloway could have too. 

4 minutes ago, tomallenfan1 said:

If I am Woody and Chet Holmgren calls telling me that he’s coming ONLY if Trey Galloway leaves, I am going to Trey’s apartment immediately and helping him pack his things.

Which I understand, but we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Plus I don’t want any player here who wears a shirt with a picture of themself when they announce where they’re attending.(80% kidding... maybe 70%)

E6604921-DCFB-484F-884B-A4FE72AD6D4E.jpeg