Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, jumpshot53 said:

I was really shocked to read some Ohio State forums where people were so down on Coach Holtman.  They disliked Brunk coming to Ohio State and blamed it on Holtman's awful recruiting.

I was surprised, but I was reading pretty much the same thing.  It filled their last roster spot and they basically said that it showed his 'failure to land Efton Reid' (top 25 2021, 6'11" center).  While I know the sentiment of a fan base to think they are going to get the recruits they want, I think a little slack needs to be given to Holtmann by them because he HAS succeeded.

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I was surprised, but I was reading pretty much the same thing.  It filled their last roster spot and they basically said that it showed his 'failure to land Efton Reid' (top 25 2021, 6'11" center).  While I know the sentiment of a fan base to think they are going to get the recruits they want, I think a little slack needs to be given to Holtmann by them because he HAS succeeded.

It’s always interesting to see it from a fans perspective what everyone’s definition of success is.   I believe he has done a solid job since he as been there but an argument could be made by some that he hasn’t succeeded as much as he could have.   Hasn’t been past the second round and lost to a 15 seed this year.   Recruiting has been up and down.   He brought in a solid national ranked class that had  most of them transferring or seeking professional route.  I think he is really good coach but I can’t blame their fans for wanting more then a second round finish.   They should be preseason top 10 next year so he will have an opportunity to silence them 

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

That O$U job is a fishbowl, fans with unrealistic expectations and will jump on a coach for the smallest things. 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It’s always interesting to see it from a fans perspective what everyone’s definition of success is.   I believe he has done a solid job since he as been there but an argument could be made by some that he hasn’t succeeded as much as he could have.   Hasn’t been past the second round and lost to a 15 seed this year.   Recruiting has been up and down.   He brought in a solid national ranked class that had  most of them transferring or seeking professional route.  I think he is really good coach but I can’t blame their fans for wanting more then a second round finish.   They should be preseason top 10 next year so he will have an opportunity to silence them 

Interestingly, his best year there was his first year and he hasn't gotten close to that again. 25-9 and 15-3 in the conference. He's only gone 31-30 in the Big Ten over the past three seasons, along with the meh tournament results as you described. I'd take their past four years in a heartbeat over our past four obviously, but I can see why their fans are getting antsy. He has big shoes to fill with how well Matta did at OSU before him. 

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

image.jpeg.8e91284e20c86b6417aade9fe0c54d76.jpeg

I think you understand that Holtmann didn’t want the IU job, and those were his reasons. I’ve always said, O$U is way worse and will can their most successful coach ever where you get to live in mediocrity at IU for years before being canned

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I think you understand that Holtmann didn’t want the IU job, and those were his reasons. I’ve always said, O$U is way worse and will can their most successful coach ever where you get to live in mediocrity at IU for years before being canned

Yeah but the difference is despite the noise by some of their  fans his job is no where near in jeopardy with those results despite not making it past the second round.  He will probably get an extension if he hasn’t already.   Majority of Ohio st fans are worried about the spring game then they are about getting beat by Oral Roberts    
Of course fans on their basketball message boards are upset but I’m guessing that’s a small number compared to their football forum that probably has 20 threads about the new quarterback 

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Going to have to agree to disagree if you think the Ohio State basketball job brings more pressure than the Indiana job.  Ohio State would never fire a coach who was one year removed from a Big Ten title or two titles in five years.