Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the floor is absolutely Zeisloft. I don't think Zeisloft would have scored 3500 points at any level in college and I loved NZ. 

Probably not but scoring a ton of points at the NAIA level isn’t guaranteed to translate to production in high level D1 hoops. NZ played 2 years of D1 mid-major ball before IU. This kid may very well contribute at or above the level that NZ did. But saying that is his floor is NZ seems a bit of a stretch and quite frankly, another questionable expectation level our fan base is setting. 

Just now, btownqb said:

100% what is being said. I think his elite shooting will make people have to crowd him so much that it make his ability to drive and finish or create seem much better than it actually is. 

So confused why race is involved in this discussion at all. 

If you don’t think stereotypical comparisons happen, idk what to tell you. It’s not like I’m in here calling people racist or something. I just think Mangas’ floor is being sold short because he’s much more dynamic than Zeisloft was. I don’t see the comparison in the slightest. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

If you don’t think stereotypical comparisons happen, idk what to tell you. It’s not like I’m in here calling people racist or something. I just think Mangas’ floor is being sold short because he’s much more dynamic than Zeisloft was. I don’t see the comparison in the slightest. 

The minimum is what were saying would be Zeisloft. I hold NZ in very high regard because of how perfectly he fit with that championship team we had. I stated I think he could avg 12p 3r 3a and start. I guess I don't see how that's selling him short. 

3 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Probably not but scoring a ton of points at the NAIA level isn’t guaranteed to translate to production in high level D1 hoops. NZ played 2 years of D1 mid-major ball before IU. This kid may very well contribute at or above the level that NZ did. But saying that is his floor is NZ seems a bit of a stretch and quite frankly, another questionable expectation level our fan base is setting. 

Did you see NZ's #s his first two years? NZ found a fit at IU. I think Mangas will have that fit here and MORE. 

Hey—let’s suppose we’re adding a player who

1) plays with ball in his hands,

2) is a high volume scorer,

3)shoots it really well 

4) constantly gets to the rim against his current competition, and

5) turns it over quite a bit (avg 3/game)

6) is a great rebounder for his size

Who does that most describe? Zeisloft, Parker, maybe Vic? RoJo? Maybe DeVonte but a little taller?

And...I’m not underselling Zeisloft at all! Nick played in control at all times and was a great catch and shoot guy. That’s just not this guy’s game.

Tamar Bates isn't truly in the transfer portal but this is where the discussion about him has been so I'll add this from Alec Lasley that isn't behind the Rivals paywall.

Indiana has one class of 2021 commit in Logan Duncomb, but new head coach Mike Woodson is keeping tabs on a new name in four-star guard Tamar Bates.

Bates is ranked the No. 57 prospect in the class of 2021.

The Kansas native transferred from Piper (KS) High School to national-power IMG Academy (FL) ahead of his senior year. As a junior, Bates averaged 22.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game. He also shot 58 percent from the field and 44 percent from three. This year, he helped lead IMG to GIECO Nationals.

Bates recently re-opened his recruitment after decommitting from Texas following the departure of head coach Shaka Smart to Marquette.

"After a lot of careful consideration and conversation with my family I have decided to request a release from my letter of intent with the University of Texas Men’s Basketball team," Bates said.

Since then, he has heard from numerous programs. Oklahoma State, Missouri, Pitt, Marquette and Indiana are some that are receiving most of the interest now.

"We are looking for adults that we can trust to be more concerned with Tamar’s continued character development rather his basketball skill development," Bates' father Tyrone told TheHoosier.com. "Opportunity to be able to compete for significant minutes that allow him to play right away."

The rest of the story is behind the paywall.

Mangas has a skill set and size that is far more closely described as comparable to Parker Stewart, albeit at a much lower level.
Zeisloft averaged 16.3 ppg HIS SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL and Zeisloft’s highest collegiate ppg was 6.6.  But yes, in my opinion he is being compared to Nick Zeisloft and Duncan Robinson primarily (entirely) because of his ethnicity.

I made the comparison. Race isn’t a factor. Not sure why that is even in the conversation at all.

BtownQ explained the comparison well.

Most people like player comps, and I think Ziesloft is a close enough one to project impact.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Did you see NZ's #s his first two years? NZ found a fit at IU. I think Mangas will have that fit here and MORE. 

Thinking he CAN have that impact or even more is fine. I don’t disagree with that. My issue is saying that is his floor. Unless we are saying that his floor is what he CAN do, but there is also a basement or even an underground bunker option to his possible production expectations. 

Zeisloft is a 6'4/6'5.. a D1 athlete. He could hammer a basketball. 
The comparison is fairly simple to see: essentially the same height and build, they are both elite shooters, both rigleht handed, both a tick slow footed. The "same type of player" would be what we all think Mangas can be at the D1 level, which is a pretty much a guy you flat out cannot leave. Believe Mangas has more facets to his game though.. even if it's at the NAIA level. Zeisloft made a few nifty passes in his day, as well. The race of the two is completely irrelevant to me. 

Yes and thank you.

Don't really see the Zeisloft comparison as the two play completely different games. However, if he could provide Zeisloft numbers - 7 ppg on 42+ percent from 3 in ~20 mpg - that'd be an excellent addition. 

Zeisloft is a 6'4/6'5.. a D1 athlete. He could hammer a basketball. 
The comparison is fairly simple to see: essentially the same height and build, they are both elite shooters, both rigleht handed, both a tick slow footed. The "same type of player" would be what we all think Mangas can be at the D1 level, which is a pretty much a guy you flat out cannot leave. Believe Mangas has more facets to his game though.. even if it's at the NAIA level. Zeisloft made a few nifty passes in his day, as well. The race of the two is completely irrelevant to me. 

The other connection, is both would be transfers from a lower level of basketball.

Thinking he CAN have that impact or even more is fine. I don’t disagree with that. My issue is saying that is his floor. Unless we are saying that his floor is what he CAN do, but there is also a basement or even an underground bunker option to his possible production expectations. 

That’s all good. It’s my OPINION of his floor. I could be grossly wrong. But to me, it appears his skillset would translate like Zeislofts did. Same size. Similar speed. Maybe better handles. Can shoot it. Shooting translates. Again, hence the Zeisloft comp.

3)shoots it really well 
Who does that most describe? Zeisloft, Parker, maybe Vic? RoJo? Maybe DeVonte but a little taller?
And...I’m not underselling Zeisloft at all! Nick played in control at all times and was a great catch and shoot guy. That’s just not this guy’s game.

Would Zeisloft have done those things at Indiana Wesleyan where he would likely be their best player?

Will Mangas project to be our primary ballhandler and highest volume shooter?

Context is also important.

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

3)shoots it really well 

A poor mans damon Bailey perhaps

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Would Zeisloft have done those things at Indiana Wesleyan where he would likely be their best player?

Context is essential 

18 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Plus...other than them both being white, where is the Zeisloft comparison coming from? Could Zeisloft even dunk? They aren’t the same type of player at all. 

I've seen the highlight videos.  I don't see D1 footspeed.  Has nothing to do with his color.  I see a player getting to the hoop due to good body control and looks like a decent leaper.  But I didn't see a guy who is going to beat D1 defenders off the dribble.  But I do see an ability to shoot plus a quick release and an ability to shoot when guarded plus an ability to create his own perimeter shot.  So his most translatable skill is being a 6'3" guard who can shoot.

Check Duncan Robinson's stats from his year at Williams College (D3).  The thing that translated from D3 to D1 was his perimeter shot.  He was a guy who was a shot blocker at the D3 level and he went became a player at the D1 (he had more blocks in 27 games at Wiliams college than he did in 115 at Michigan) level who was getting 70% of points off of threes.  At Williams College it was 40%.  

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Zeisloft never averaged 17 points a game in high school, so I doubt he would’ve been a high volume scorer in NAIA ball.

At the end of the day Mangas would likely be somewhere between a Zeisloft type of player and a Stewart type of player. He wouldn't be the same kind of player at IU that he is at IWU. His role would have to change just like it will when he starts his professional career. It's the same way that Duncan Robinson's game had to change. Either way Mangas would be a great option imo if the staff really decides that they want him at IU.  

Also, I’m not trying to infer in anyway that people are making some kind of racial judgment!
I completely agree that Zeisloft and Mangas look like each other!
It’s just that their games aren’t necessarily all that similar.

My original comment said Floor Zeisloft. I didn’t say they were the same player. I think the size, speed, shooting translates. The things Mangas does more/better may or may not translate. That was all. Then it became a race thing for absolutely no reason.