Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are coaches allowed to do with portal players? Could a coach bring a kid in for an open gym with the current team? Because that'd be a quick way to get a read on how he does against D1 competition. 

Well for starters Mangas isn't a portal player. The coaches shouldn't have a problem evaluating him based on who he played against at IWU. There would be a dip in production obviously but he'd still be a capable rotation player at minimum. 

I’m all aboard the Mangas train.

He’s the type of kid that another school would have picked up over the last 20 years and have a career day against us. Not saying it’ll work, but I love to at least try to take a prolific kid from a lower level and see if it works.

Jamal Mashburn Jr. will transfer and play for New Mexico, a source told @Stockrisers. Over the last two days the Lobos add two skilled backcourt additions in Mashburn and Arizona State transfer Jaelen House. Richard Pitino also working on recruiting UC’s Mason Madsen.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Jamal Mashburn Jr. will transfer and play for New Mexico, a source told @Stockrisers. Over the last two days the Lobos add two skilled backcourt additions in Mashburn and Arizona State transfer Jaelen House. Richard Pitino also working on recruiting UC’s Mason Madsen.

Would've loved to have him at IU, kid has lots of potential to be a great player

16 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

With a floor of Nick Zeisloft, how you could you only be kinda happy?! That’s the type of player that Archie failed to consider over the past 4 years that could’ve done wonders for IU.

I’m admittedly tough to please.  Jabari Smith would make me ecstatic, so would Dawson Garcia.  Keion Brooks would make me happy.  A few others as well.  

Mangas would have a lot to prove but I really like what I see.  Therefore, kinda happy.  If my Nick Ziesloft comparison is strong it would be a very nice addition.  Honestly, he looks better than Nick to me.  

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m admittedly tough to please.  Jabari Smith would make me ecstatic, so would Dawson Garcia.  Keion Brooks would make me happy.  A few others as well.  

Mangas would have a lot to prove but I really like what I see.  Therefore, kinda happy.  If my Nick Ziesloft comparison is strong it would be a very nice addition.  Honestly, he looks better than Nick to me.  

So, I likely have unrealistically high expectations since the 3 I named aren’t even available.  Lol

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, I likely have unrealistically high expectations since the 3 I named aren’t even available.  Lol

Fit is wildly underrated when we talk recruits and transfers. Mangas would "fit" on paper. We need another wing threat and he is that in bunches. Plus.. to shoot 39% from 3 with the difficulty of the shots he was taking.. very impressive. I think it's possible he could shoot 42%+ from 3 with XJ, PS, and TJD around him. Certainly not going to average in the 20s... but I think he could avg 12p 3r 3a and shoot 40+ from 3. 

I think we can all agree we would take that in spades if that were the case with all things considered. 

37 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

With a floor of Nick Zeisloft, how you could you only be kinda happy?! That’s the type of player that Archie failed to consider over the past 4 years that could’ve done wonders for IU.

I think this is where we get a little ahead of ourselves. We see a 2 minute highlight package (which by nature is all the best things that can be captured on video) and think we might have the next Duncan Robinson. I’m not accusing you specifically of saying that. But his floor is not Nick Zeisloft. His floor is a player that excelled at the NAIA level but gets overwhelmed by the athleticism and physicality of the Big Ten and is stuck at the end of the bench for his one year at IU. That very well may not happen. But his floor is not Nick Zeisloft. 

8 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I think this is where we get a little ahead of ourselves. We see a 2 minute highlight package (which by nature is all the best things that can be captured on video) and think we might have the next Duncan Robinson. I’m not accusing you specifically of saying that. But his floor is not Nick Zeisloft. His floor is a player that excelled at the NAIA level but gets overwhelmed by the athleticism and physicality of the Big Ten and is stuck at the end of the bench for his one year at IU. That very well may not happen. But his floor is not Nick Zeisloft. 

I think the floor is absolutely Zeisloft. I don't think Zeisloft would have scored 3500 points at any level in college and I loved NZ. 

9 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Plus...other than them both being white, where is the Zeisloft comparison coming from? Could Zeisloft even dunk? They aren’t the same type of player at all. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

Plus...other than them both being white, where is the Zeisloft comparison coming from? Could Zeisloft even dunk? They aren’t the same type of player at all. 

Mangas is a great shooter and that is his skill that is most likely to translate. Plus he's also 6'4. That's why it's been mentioned that Zeisloft is the floor. 

2 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Zeisloft is a 6'4/6'5.. a D1 athlete. He could hammer a basketball. 

The comparison is fairly simple to see: essentially the same height and build, they are both elite shooters, both rigleht handed, both a tick slow footed. The "same type of player" would be what we all think Mangas can be at the D1 level, which is a pretty much a guy you flat out cannot leave. Believe Mangas has more facets to his game though.. even if it's at the NAIA level. Zeisloft made a few nifty passes in his day, as well. The race of the two is completely irrelevant to me. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

Mangas is a great shooter and that is his skill that is most likely to translate. Plus he's also 6'4. That's why it's been mentioned that Zeisloft is the floor. 

He’s infinitely more athletic than Zeisloft. That translates. 

I love Zeisloft. He was amazing, but he was a spot-up shooter. Mangas has much more to his game than that. 

3 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Mangas has a skill set and size that is far more closely described as comparable to Parker Stewart, albeit at a much lower level.

Zeisloft averaged 16.3 ppg HIS SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL and Zeisloft’s highest collegiate ppg was 6.6.  But yes, in my opinion he is being compared to Nick Zeisloft and Duncan Robinson primarily (entirely) because of his ethnicity and looks

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Mangas has a skill set and size that is far more closely described as comparable to Parker Stewart, albeit at a much lower level.

Zeisloft averaged 16.3 ppg HIS SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL and Zeisloft’s highest collegiate ppg was 6.6.  But yes, he is being compared to Nick Zeisloft primarily (entirely) because of his ethnicity.

Absolutely not. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

He’s infinitely more athletic than Zeisloft. That translates. 

I love Zeisloft. He was amazing, but he was a spot-up shooter. Mangas has much more to his game than that. 

I personally think he will be able to do a lot of different things and not just shoot. I think people were just stating what the minimum production would likely be. 

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

I personally think he will be able to do a lot of different things and not just shoot. I think people were just stating what the minimum production would likely be. 

100% what is being said. I think his elite shooting will make people have to crowd him so much that it make his ability to drive and finish or create seem much better than it actually is. 

So confused why race is involved in this discussion at all.