Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The transfer list now stands at 1,369 names, 288 of them coming out of the six basketball power conferences.  Was at 730 names on this day last year.

Over 700 now in the women's portal.

Those numbers are mind boggling. I listened to Dakich yesterday, and Seth Greenburg was one of the guests. Greenburg expected there would be a second wave in the transfer portal after August (if NCAA doesn't set a cutoff date) when teams go through summer training/practices. Some kids would find they don't like about their new homes and would be ready to jump ships again. 

Just now, akumanina said:

Those numbers are mind boggling. I listened to Dakich yesterday, and Seth Greenburg was one of the guests. Greenburg expected there would be a second wave in the transfer portal after August (if NCAA doesn't set a cutoff date) when teams go through summer training/practices. Some kids would find they don't like about their new homes and would be ready to jump ships again. 

Agree.....There has to be a official cut off. Sort of like, ....if you miss it, you are officially on the team and no more transfer privileges.If not, it will be an absolute cluster ----.

Considering the number of seniors with an extra year of eligibility transferring, I wouldn't be surprised if not every transfer finds a spot at a D1 school. I expect there will be lots of transfers in years to come but maybe not as many as this year which is kind of an anomaly with the extra year of eligibility given. 

1 hour ago, akumanina said:

The rule has now passed (or is even closer to doing so) and there is a cutoff. This year it is July 1 and and going forward it will be May 1.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/14/ncaa-transfers-rule-change-football-basketball

From the article:

"The new rule would allow all athletes to move freely at least once, though it includes some stipulations. Athletes must submit to their school a notification of transfer by certain dates to be immediately eligible at their next location. Fall- and winter-sport athletes would have to notify their schools by May 1, and spring sport athletes would have until July 1. However, because of the timing of the Council’s decision, the fall and winter sports’ notification date will be pushed this summer to July 1—a quasi-deadline day in the college sports world similar to those in professional leagues."

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think Johnson is going to have the second biggest impact on this team after TJD. 

Any numbers right now on the number of players in the transfer portal who have not committed yet?  Seems like lately they number of players in the portal who are committing compared to those who are just entering is leaning heavy toward those committing.

De'Vion Harmon, 6'2" guard from Oklahoma, enters the portal.  Second leading scorer for the Sooners, averaged 13 points, 3 1/2 rebounds, and 2 assists.  Shot 48% from the field and 33%.  Team mate Alondes Williams also joined the transfer pool; averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds in 19 minutes.  6'5" wing -- not known for shooting.

JSHoosier said: 'Kentucky listed twice, are they pulling a Tom Crean telling him they're thinking about him a lot lately?"

Kentucky has twice the chance of landing Harmon as anyone else. 

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Guess we are truly going after another SG.

Staff must really lack faith in our guards.

We have Leal, Galloway, Phin, Lander, Stewart, XJ. 6 guards already.

I guess we should prepare for 3 guard lineups.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I think Woodson is going to want to get up and down the floor but also push everyone on the roster. You don't want to give it your all? Then there is someone behind you that will and we won't miss a beat. I'm 100% fine if Leal and Galloway dont play much. We have 4 more years of them. 

I think Woodson is going to want to get up and down the floor but also push everyone on the roster. You don't want to give it your all? Then there is someone behind you that will and we won't miss a beat. I'm 100% fine if Leal and Galloway dont play much. We have 4 more years of them. 

I really hope that with a fast paced offense, we could see more full court pressure. Like after every made basket, press immediately. That’s just me. I love when team press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Most teams play three guard lineups.  Anyway, Woodson has said he wanted to add a shooting guard and a combo forward.  If that occurs, our frontcourt would be TJD, Duncomb, Hunter, Race, Geronimo, and TBD.  

Leal, IMO, is as much of a small forward as he is a guard.  Same for Galloway.  Neither are going to be asked to handle the ball that much.  Stewart will likely be in alongside two other guards sometimes and he's 6'5"....big enough to handle the SF position.

Most teams play three guard lineups.  Anyway, Woodson has said he wanted to add a shooting guard and a combo forward.  If that occurs, our frontcourt would be TJD, Duncomb, Hunter, Race, Geronimo, and TBD.  
Leal, IMO, is as much of a small forward as he is a guard.  Same for Galloway.  Neither are going to be asked to handle the ball that much.  Stewart will likely be in alongside two other guards sometimes and he's 6'5"....big enough to handle the SF position.

I guess.

I’d rather a Geronimo (Troy Williams) type player be our 3. A TJD be our 4 or 5, and another similar player to TJD be our 5. Then give me 2 guards that are triple threats.

Playing Leals or Galloways at the 3 isn’t ideal. I really soured on Galloway last season. Can’t shoot at all. Nice driver, but that doesn’t work well at his size and skills against B1G quality players. Leal, at least, might be able to shoot it consistently. But lacking that much size and athleticism at your 3 spot especially when neither guy has an elite skill isn’t a recipe for success.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have some early concerns with the whole portal thing, development Vs chasing portal players. 
Guys like Galloway (shooting needs development), Hunter (develop D), etc. have maybe a shorter timeline to develop. Do want to see team improvement through the portal, don’t want to see NBA-style trade market.

A guy like Vic couldn’t shoot early, shot like in the 20’s from deep, junior year shot plus 40 percent from the arc. Any reference to Vic is kind of the outlier because of his huge strides in development, but the signs were there, elite athleticism and D to go with good free throw form and steady development, lots of promise.

Vic is an outlier but there are lots of guys with high level talent and upside that can get passed over in this shiny new thing approach to team building. 
Galloway is an exceptional player with a strong work ethic, really good floor vision and downhill skill. Absolutely needs to develop a shot, but really should have that opportunity on what he has shown as a player before running into the portal, imo - long rant but seeing early signs of a shiny new thing instead of development approach

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Bring in some one that can help right away and Red-shirt one or two of these guys for the future. If they aren't gonna play, why not?