Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

21 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me the biggest hurdle with Mangas would be that he's already played four years of NAIA ball. I just read the NAIA to NCAA transfer guidelines, and it seems that like any other transfer who has already played four years, he would only have one year of eligibility at IU.

Do we really want to invest in a player who is moving up to D1 for the first time and only has one year of eligibility?

I guess it depends on the alternatives. If Tamar Bates comes knocking, then no, but most of the other 'meh' guys on the list, why not?

All I know about this guy I learned on a 2 minute highlight video this morning, but he appears dynamic. I vote for the shiny thing! 

1 hour ago, jbeaman9 said:

Supposedly IU has reached out to this kid according to some on HSN.

The Duncan Robinson effect in action. Illinois took a D3 transfer last spring. IU looking at an NAIA kid. 5 years ago that just didn’t happen much. Now it’s pretty amazing how many low level kids are finding their way to D1.

30 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For me the biggest hurdle with Mangas would be that he's already played four years of NAIA ball. I just read the NAIA to NCAA transfer guidelines, and it seems that like any other transfer who has already played four years, he would only have one year of eligibility at IU.

Do we really want to invest in a player who is moving up to D1 for the first time and only has one year of eligibility?

Flipping to the positive version, we take no risk if it is only for one year. Unless we can get an absolute game-changer (e.g., Bates or Bryce Thompson), I am all for it and we would have the scholarship available again next year.

With the new rules, we may want to look into developing "feeder" relationships with schools like IWU in the state of Indiana/Midwest. It might become a great way to fill in the roster after players turn pro unexpectedly/transfer after a season.

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't see the problem. He could help fill a need to help with shooting and he's a winner that can bring in some leadership. He only fills the scholarship for 1 year which would help with class balance for recruits moving forward. Yes, I know the new transfer rules make class balance tougher but it still allows for more flexibility. 

15 minutes ago, Demo said:

The Duncan Robinson effect in action. Illinois took a D3 transfer last spring. IU looking at an NAIA kid. 5 years ago that just didn’t happen much. Now it’s pretty amazing how many low level kids are finding their way to D1.

Mangas has put up absolutely monster numbers at the NAIA level.  If he came in and was a Nick Zeisloft type of player, that would definitely be a get. 

In terms of why he didn't go D1, an article from his freshman year said that colleges didn't think he passed the 'eye test' in terms of his body type -- he's not real defined and was thought of as just a shooter.  FWIW, he was an Indiana All-Star as a senior.  

9 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I don't see the problem. He could help fill a need to help with shooting and he's a winner that can bring in some leadership. He only fills the scholarship for 1 year which would help with class balance for recruits moving forward. Yes, I know the new transfer rules make class balance tougher but it still allows for more flexibility. 

I would say taking a flyer on a player with 1 year of eligibility is better than taking a flyer on one with 2.  If the extra spot is there, it doesn't cost anything the following year.

Something tells me he'll jump at the chance if we truly offer.  

Kyle Mangas helps Indiana Wesleyan basketball stay an NAIA powerhouse (indystar.com)

“It’s kind of hard sometimes because you want to play the comparison game. I’m an IU basketball fan. So I’m watching games sometimes and I’m like, ‘How could I fit out there? How could I help them?’ But I don’t want to fall into that trap because it can play with your mind. I love it at IWU. I wouldn’t change a thing.”

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm not sure that many kids are going to stay at a school more than 1 or 2 years the way the rules are now.

14 minutes ago, madmax said:

Why the heck not?

Why not give the kid a chance? It’s a 1 year experiment. Worst case scenario he doesn’t play but helps build culture and a love for the program. Best case he contributes and helps our shooting.

He appears to be a pretty good shooter...from deep.  Jimmy Rayl would approve.  LOL

Edited by rayl456

Interesting trivia from Kent Sterling -  Weird stat of the day! With 300 points next season, Cathedral graduate Jalen Coleman-Lands will become the first college basketball player ever to score 1,700 points without scoring more than 630 at a single school.

OK,here is my absolute dream scenario: Yasir Rosemond works his magic in the "grey area" and delivers Tamar Bates and Langston Wilson. We then announce him as the third assistant. Then we add Kyle Mangas as a preferred walk-on. Mangas comes off the bench and hits 6 3's and we knock off Purdue in Mackey and keep them from winning the Big Ten title. Boom Baby(RIP Slick)

2 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

OK,here is my absolute dream scenario: Yasir Rosemond works his magic in the "grey area" and delivers Tamar Bates and Langston Wilson. We then announce him as the third assistant. Then we add Kyle Mangas as a preferred walk-on. Mangas comes off the bench and hits 6 3's and we knock off Purdue in Mackey to win the Big Ten title outright. Boom Baby(RIP Slick)

Slight fix... :)

1 hour ago, mike vannice said:

OK,here is my absolute dream scenario: Yasir Rosemond works his magic in the "grey area" and delivers Tamar Bates and Langston Wilson. We then announce him as the third assistant. Then we add Kyle Mangas as a preferred walk-on. Mangas comes off the bench and hits 6 3's and we knock off Purdue in Mackey and keep them from winning the Big Ten title. Boom Baby(RIP Slick)

I am sure if he wanted, he could/can be a preferred walk at any time.