Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I was only piggybacking off of what others were posting. The focus came from them and I only replied to it.

With that stated, I’d love to see improvement with how the team executes. A lot of people are stating these improvements as a foregone conclusion. I’m in the position of being cautious.

Tempo and shooting are two areas being discussed often. Many are attributing a more free flowing offense to better percentages. That can go both ways. A more open offense can lead to an abundance of turnovers. We’ve seen our returning players have issues with turnovers and that’s probably a big reason why we slowed down as much as we did under Archie. X Johnson has had similar issues in the past. Further, we had players completely missing (bricks and air balls) wide open looks over the past several years. There’s more to that than blaming an outgoing coaching staff.

What I’m saying is we, as a collective, love the next shiny thing and KNOW it will be better than what we previously had. I’m cautiously optimistic that it can work but not ignorant it could go wrong. Time will tell and HOPEFULLY all of our players put in the time and effort to greatly improve.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Good points (since I agree!) and a wise perspective. Woodson may be a good coach, but he's not a magician. 

Although I wasn't.....let's say "thrilled" with Woodson's hire, he deserves some time to get his program installed. These aren't his guys and it might take a season or two. That doesn't mean this upcoming season is a wash or he gets a pass either. There is some talent here and he should be able to win some games in a softer conference. Still, I'll try not to panic if the first year isn't all I hope. Show some progress. Winning record in conference and a NCAA bid are enough for me in year 1. 

9 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Good points (since I agree!) and a wise perspective. Woodson may be a good coach, but he's not a magician. 

Although I wasn't.....let's say "thrilled" with Woodson's hire, he deserves some time to get his program installed. These aren't his guys and it might take a season or two. That doesn't mean this upcoming season is a wash or he gets a pass either. There is some talent here and he should be able to win some games in a softer conference. Still, I'll try not to panic if the first year isn't all I hope. Show some progress. Winning record in conference and a NCAA bid are enough for me in year 1. 

I think scheduling will be huge. Not a fan of cupcakes but I think we should schedule a few, then have a couple of tough nonconference games, then the Big Ten season. The Big Ten is not as tough as years past will help too. I think we can get to 20 wins

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think scheduling will be huge. Not a fan of cupcakes but I think we should schedule a few, then have a couple of tough nonconference games, then the Big Ten season. The Big Ten is not as tough as years past will help too. I think we can get to 20 wins

The only non-con games set up so far are the Crossroads and ACC Challenge, right? I think we're near our quota for the Gavitt Games already and there are a few schools that need to catch up. Unless there's an announcement of another Thanksgiving 'classic' we don't know about, there's a lot of wiggle room to ease Coach Woodson into the job.

He took an official visit to Michigan St. Don’t think Fife was the lead recruiter but may at least have some knowledge of him. 

Yeah according to 247, Stephens was the main recruiter. Doesn’t mean fife never had contact so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I was always under the impression that non-conference games were, for the most part, scheduled a few years in advance. Is that not the case? 

Maybe I'm remembering all the Home-and-Home series we used to have with schools like Notre Dame and KY.

Just now, T White said:

I was always under the impression that non-conference games were, for the most part, scheduled a few years in advance. Is that not the case? 

Maybe I'm remembering all the Home-and-Home series we used to have with schools like Notre Dame and KY.

I think a few years ago that was the case in some games but with COVID I think we have a pretty open schedule. We have ND, We have the ACC/BT challenge and that might be it so far. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

For this season and this season alone, I’m fine with a few more cupcakes than normal just so Woodson can get a better feel for his guys and so the team can get a feel for how Woodson likes to play. Practice is great, but games are where things come together. 

49 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Any word on the Gavitt Games or has that run its course?

48 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I can't remember if we fulfilled our number of years in that or not. If not that would be one more game on the schedule

Article from last offseason. https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020/05/iu-mens-basketball-to-compete-in-2020-gavitt-games

If they keep the arrangement originally scheduled, we'll be in the Gavitt Games. If the conferences/TV added a year due to last year's cancellation, there will be games through 2023 with IU definitely playing once more from 2021-2023 perhaps twice. The Gavitt game will likely be away and the ACC game should be at home.

If we go with a softer schedule, I hope it is filled with more teams in that 150 range then down in the low 200's and 300's.  I think you want some competition before conference and those teams that Crean used to schedule are just too far down the list to be of much value.

1 hour ago, LIHoosier said:

Article from last offseason. https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020/05/iu-mens-basketball-to-compete-in-2020-gavitt-games

If they keep the arrangement originally scheduled, we'll be in the Gavitt Games. If the conferences/TV added a year due to last year's cancellation, there will be games through 2023 with IU definitely playing once more from 2021-2023 perhaps twice. The Gavitt game will likely be away and the ACC game should be at home.

Spitballing here, but I wonder if the squad would get sent to DC to play Ewing's Georgetown team - lots of fun television storylines b/w two former players, current coaches who are rebuilding historically elite programs..who am I kidding...'Nova here we come!  

Is there any way we can have a foreign trip prior to rhe season starting and play some National teams, ie Canada or Europe?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, sweetpain said:

Is there any way we can have a foreign trip prior to rhe season starting and play some National teams, ie Canada or Europe?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I love it. That’s what happen before the 87’ season started.... tour the world, reflect, refuel, come home and win it all..!!!!

Let do it! Lol