Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

I only bring this up because I haven't heard any news about him at all to this point but does anyone know if Kenya Hunter recruited Tre Mitchell while he was at UCONN since UCONN was viewed as the favorite until UMASS hired his high school coach to be an assistant?

Rabjohns has stated Mitchell is following an assistant and it isnt even worth pursuing. Also I know Garcia isn’t in the portal but even if he was that was an Ostrom connection so I doubt we’d have much chance there anymore

34 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Unpopular opinion.. 

You are very focused on making one-to-one comparisons of the individuals on the roster.  Do you not believe that a change in staff can/will improve how they execute as a team?

9 minutes ago, triple said:

You are very focused on making one-to-one comparisons of the individuals on the roster.  Do you not believe that a change in staff can/will improve how they execute as a team?

I certainly hope so!

I was only piggybacking off of what others were posting. The focus came from them and I only replied to it.

With that stated, I’d love to see improvement with how the team executes. A lot of people are stating these improvements as a foregone conclusion. I’m in the position of being cautious.

Tempo and shooting are two areas being discussed often. Many are attributing a more free flowing offense to better percentages. That can go both ways. A more open offense can lead to an abundance of turnovers. We’ve seen our returning players have issues with turnovers and that’s probably a big reason why we slowed down as much as we did under Archie. X Johnson has had similar issues in the past. Further, we had players completely missing (bricks and air balls) wide open looks over the past several years. There’s more to that than blaming an outgoing coaching staff.

What I’m saying is we, as a collective, love the next shiny thing and KNOW it will be better than what we previously had. I’m cautiously optimistic that it can work but not ignorant it could go wrong. Time will tell and HOPEFULLY all of our players put in the time and effort to greatly improve.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Unpopular opinion..

With Brunk not returning, we're back to 3 new players, right now.  Duncomb and Brunk have similar games with most of their scoring around the rim.  Brunk had experience in the Big 1.0 and didn't count against the scholarship numbers.  It would have been nice to keep him for another year for his leadership and for spot minutes as a backup.

Stewart replaces Franklin and is now the "shooter" on the team.  However, his best numbers weren't as good as Franklin's shooting numbers as a sophomore.  I know many feel we got better in this position but I don't see it.  It would have been ideal to keep both of them.

Johnson replaces Durham and is now the "point/attacker" on the team.  While I agree he is better getting to the rim, finishing or dishing to teammates than Durham was he's not a shooter.  We lacked shooters last season in a major way.  Durham > Johnson from deep.  We took a step back here in terms of shooting.

I get the excitement and HOPE we'll be a more balanced team next season but with the replacements I don't see it just yet.  I feel like there is a ton of projecting going on and not much based in facts.

On top of current players taking leaps in development, especially shooting, we need to find a wing shooter and a stretch 4 in the portal to round out this team.  TJD can man the 5 for the majority of the game with Race and Duncomb rounding out the minutes there.  We need to be better shooting this coming season or teams will just pack the paint and dare us to shoot over them, again.

Very valid points . And on paper, I agree. But the unknown factor that is hard to quantify is the change in coaching staff and how that will impact the players and their style of play. Hopefully, it works to the positive.

This program feels like it finally has some positive momentum for the first time in several years. Sure, there is more roster movement than normal, but every program is experiencing that this year. If we as fans are aware of the glaring holes in the roster, I can assure you that the coaching staff is on it.

And maybe it's just me, but If we can't replace the Joey Brunks and Al Durhams of the world, then our beloved program is worse off then any of us could possibly imagine. Don't get me wrong, I like both of these guys, but they really aren't game changers for the direction of our program. Franklin hurts, I agree with that 100%.I really hated to see him go. But I have no doubt the coaching staff will reload. That's why they are paid the big bucks. 

That tweet does not say that he's in the transfer portal.
A non-starter until he's in the portal IMO.

Waiting on the "it's a message board, so they can talk about them being a possibility if they want" mantra in response to this quote

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Waiting on the "it's a message board, so they can talk about them being a possibility if they want" mantra in response to this quote

Of course we can!

unless that was your passive aggressive response—in that case :

tenor.gif?itemid=6077302

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

Rabjohns has stated Mitchell is following an assistant and it isnt even worth pursuing. Also I know Garcia isn’t in the portal but even if he was that was an Ostrom connection so I doubt we’d have much chance there anymore

I know what Rabby said. People think Mitchell will go wherever Tony Bergeron gets a job since he's the reason Mitchell went to UMASS in the first place. The problem is I haven't seen Bergeron's name brought up at all which makes me think that he's not gaining any traction for any assistant coaching jobs. 

26 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

It’s a message board, I can choose whether I want to respond to his post with a Mantra or not. 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Former 5* McDonalds all American who would have 4 years left of college. Big-time scorer in high school. 

Interesting. Wonder why he didn’t get much run at Kansas

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Former 5* McDonalds all American who would have 4 years left of college. Big-time scorer in high school. 

He took an official visit to Michigan St. Don’t think Fife was the lead recruiter but may at least have some knowledge of him. 

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Unpopular opinion..

With Brunk not returning, we're back to 3 new players, right now.  Duncomb and Brunk have similar games with most of their scoring around the rim.  Brunk had experience in the Big 1.0 and didn't count against the scholarship numbers.  It would have been nice to keep him for another year for his leadership and for spot minutes as a backup.

Stewart replaces Franklin and is now the "shooter" on the team.  However, his best numbers weren't as good as Franklin's shooting numbers as a sophomore.  I know many feel we got better in this position but I don't see it.  It would have been ideal to keep both of them.

Johnson replaces Durham and is now the "point/attacker" on the team.  While I agree he is better getting to the rim, finishing or dishing to teammates than Durham was he's not a shooter.  We lacked shooters last season in a major way.  Durham > Johnson from deep.  We took a step back here in terms of shooting.

I get the excitement and HOPE we'll be a more balanced team next season but with the replacements I don't see it just yet.  I feel like there is a ton of projecting going on and not much based in facts.

On top of current players taking leaps in development, especially shooting, we need to find a wing shooter and a stretch 4 in the portal to round out this team.  TJD can man the 5 for the majority of the game with Race and Duncomb rounding out the minutes there.  We need to be better shooting this coming season or teams will just pack the paint and dare us to shoot over them, again.

Probably closer to the truth than the optimism that springs eternal this time of year. But..,

The upside lays with coaching and more specifically accountability. Durham is my least favorite player since the Crean years. He’s the definition of “score 2, give up 3. “ Except he didn’t just give up points on the defensive end so much as he just completely let mental mistakes derail things at both ends. Archie hardly ever held him accountable.  

This team isn’t exactly under talented of the goal is competing in the B1G and making the tourney. It is a wreck in terms of identity and accountability. It’s biggest missing piece is high level coaching.  

I think we see what Franklin does at uva and regret losing him; Brunk not so much.