Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, Gnet550 said:

From watching Kopp a few times the big difference to me is he stays under control. Jerome can make a big shot for you and get hot, as can Kopp.

Kopp however isn’t going to chuck a bad shot just because

Maybe the way to look at it is that he may be a better Leal than Hunter.  Kid scored 11 pts a game in the BT doing what Leal needs to learn to do. So maybe worst case is he is a strong shooting guy who lets us slowly develop Leal

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Kopp did shoot 39% from three a couple years ago on over 5 attempts per game. Last year was a bit of a down year for him but he can stroke it. 

He did -- I'd say after three years he's pretty established as a 36% three point shooter.  That's okay, but I don't see that much else in his game.  He doesn't rebound well, he's not a great defender, he's not going to create much for himself.  He's a decent player for a lower division Big Ten team but I don't see him being a major cog on an team hoping to be an upper division.  Indiana did catch fire with Nick Zeisloft and he ended up being a really, really good shooter for IU but he still was more of a bench player coming in to shoot;  that's the maximum role I would see for Kopp.  If he were to come in and the get the minutes at IU that he got at Northwestern, it would be because players we have who I think should be playing ahead of him weren't panning out.

Let me put it this way:  statistically, was his best year any better than Al Durham's year last year?

10 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Maybe the way to look at it is that he may be a better Leal than Hunter.  Kid scored 11 pts a game in the BT doing what Leal needs to learn to do. So maybe worst case is he is a strong shooting guy who lets us slowly develop Leal

I have no problem with that.  He certainly would add depth.  I just don't see him as being a stretch four unless we were really having to defend a really small lineup.

6 minutes ago, Jam said:

Top of the wish list

100% agree.  He's at the tippy top.

Unrealistic list of mine.

get one of these. 

1. Jabari Smith

2. Dawson Garcia

3. Tre Mitchell

4. Keion Brooks

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.  welp that's my list.

then get a shooting guard if you really want.  

I only bring this up because I haven't heard any news about him at all to this point but does anyone know if Kenya Hunter recruited Tre Mitchell while he was at UCONN since UCONN was viewed as the favorite until UMASS hired his high school coach to be an assistant?

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That tweet does not say that he's in the transfer portal.

A non-starter until he's in the portal IMO.

I think we're bringing him and Keion Brooks in along with Brad Stevens as the 3rd assistant as a package deal.

11 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Unpopular opinion..

With Brunk not returning, we're back to 3 new players, right now.  Duncomb and Brunk have similar games with most of their scoring around the rim.  Brunk had experience in the Big 1.0 and didn't count against the scholarship numbers.  It would have been nice to keep him for another year for his leadership and for spot minutes as a backup.

Stewart replaces Franklin and is now the "shooter" on the team.  However, his best numbers weren't as good as Franklin's shooting numbers as a sophomore.  I know many feel we got better in this position but I don't see it.  It would have been ideal to keep both of them.

Johnson replaces Durham and is now the "point/attacker" on the team.  While I agree he is better getting to the rim, finishing or dishing to teammates than Durham was he's not a shooter.  We lacked shooters last season in a major way.  Durham > Johnson from deep.  We took a step back here in terms of shooting.

I get the excitement and HOPE we'll be a more balanced team next season but with the replacements I don't see it just yet.  I feel like there is a ton of projecting going on and not much based in facts.

On top of current players taking leaps in development, especially shooting, we need to find a wing shooter and a stretch 4 in the portal to round out this team.  TJD can man the 5 for the majority of the game with Race and Duncomb rounding out the minutes there.  We need to be better shooting this coming season or teams will just pack the paint and dare us to shoot over them, again.

This opinion is one of the most unpopular I have ever seen in B-Town history. :-) I'm not going to read it a 2nd time and have it get me down