Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, cthomas said:

Great example of what I meant. When something went wrong in my department I always said it was either a people problem or a process problem. Either way, I analyzed and fixed.

Yep.  She’s actually a great leader.  But she’s working closely on a project with a terrible leader. That persons an anchor her trying to help her realize that on her own. But Wednesday might have to be the blunt convo 

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

We have any prior connection anyone k is of. ?

From the list I saw when he was getting recruited, no.  He had huge freaking list of suitors when he was in high school including several Big Ten teams (Illinois and Rutgers I know were).

10 hours ago, cbp4iu said:

The only thing is.... Why hasn’t anyone in the Brooks family (Especially Keion)with all these rumors coming out just tweet he’s staying or say the rumors are false. That’s why I believe they actually may be true. Multiple tweets and verified accounts are constantly posting he leaving so why just come out and say he it’s not true or he’s committed to their program. 

Brooks Sr did an interview and flat out said the plan was to test the NBA waters (good luck with that, bro) and “go from there, but if he’s coming back to college it will be at Kentucky”. He aint comin here and that’s perfectly fine with me

13 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Hope not, I don't want Brooks. He doesn't fill a need as I see it and I think he (&/or his family) are drama queens. I want him to leave UK to create more chaos and sadness for the in-bred, big-blew bunch, but hope he goes to Louisville or anywhere besides IU. 

One has to think Woodson knows had to deal with personalities, so not really worried about that stuff.

IMO, he does feel a need at the 4, especially if we're running a real 41 O, and TJD is the "in" or 5. Brooks would absolutely be an upgrade to Race at 4.

I would be surprised if IU lands any additional top tier talent from the transfer portal. IU's hiring of Woodson looks good now to Hoosier Nation. But to the rest of basketball world all we've done is add one good player to a team that went 12-15 this past season while losing the 2nd best player. The main reason Xavier Johnson picked IU is the assistant coach, Kenya Hunter. Without Hunter it is doubtful IU would have even been in the running. IU's problem is Hunter doesn't have the same close relationship with any of the other targets.  It also seems unlikely that Keon Brooks will transfer to IU. This rumor seems to be driven by wishful thinking.

29 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I would be surprised if IU lands any additional top tier talent from the transfer portal. IU's hiring of Woodson looks good now to Hoosier Nation. But to the rest of basketball world all we've done is add one good player to a team that went 12-15 this past season while losing the 2nd best player. The main reason Xavier Johnson picked IU is the assistant coach, Kenya Hunter. Without Hunter it is doubtful IU would have even been in the running. IU's problem is Hunter doesn't have the same close relationship with any of the other targets.  It also seems unlikely that Keon Brooks will transfer to IU. This rumor seems to be driven by wishful thinking.

I think you may have some valid points here. Hopefully, I’m correct in my opinion that this team is capable of so much more than they have shown. If that is the case and the coaching staff is able to take this team and make it a tournament team, the recruits will come.

bigrod said: 

I think you may have some valid points here. Hopefully, I’m correct in my opinion that this team is capable of so much more than they have shown. If that is the case and the coaching staff is able to take this team and make it a tournament team, the recruits will come.

________

I agree. There is every reason to be optimistic. The potential on this team was mostly unrealized under Archie. I believe the talent, including at least one likely NBA player, will blossom under Woodson.  TJD will be All American 1st or 2nd team. Johnson will be the alpha player on the floor the team has been missing (Phinisee is too passive; Lander too green). Jerome Hunter is poised to be the offensive player everyone thought he would be when he arrived. Stewart will be a steady 3-point shooter. And, the depth will allow the team to remain fresh in games and throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

We have actually added 2 players if you are going on our record.  Parker had nothing to do with our record.  So we have 2 new players.  Both seem like they will help.

mookied39 said: We have actually added 2 players if you are going on our record.  Parker had nothing to do with our record.  So we have 2 new players.  Both seem like they will help.

____

I agree. I was talking perception outside of Indiana.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

You may be right in the end but it is too early to tell right now. We did only pull in one new player but we also got most of our primary portal players back.  Plus we pulled an associate HC from a BT rival who may have contacts.  Lastly, if rumors of the final assistant is true and he is able to talk with kids not even in the portal then we just don’t know how it will end. 

personally I hope we grab a lower ranked kid who has been out performing his ranking but needs a change a scenery vs a former 5* kid who has underperformed.  

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I would not be surprised when IU lands additional talent from the transfer portal.  Really depends on how one defines top talent, though.

Indiana basketball and Indiana University have a lot to attract the student/athletes. Everyone knows that IU was really close in many games to winning.  Everyone knows why IU didn't win those games.  Corrective actions are taking place.  Plus, if the prospective transfer wants to play against the best in the B1G, IU provides that.  

If one is a shooter, he will likely start.  If one is a stretch 4 that can shoot, then he will likely start.  

I think that there are so very many coaches and teams that pursue the top talent that it would be difficult to get one of the very top talents regardless.

More important to me is the development of the players.  Reflecting on what Race did before last year to get ready, that is what I envision our players doing in the off-season.  Correcting shooting including the free throws are really important.  Putting some beef on some of the players so that they can handle the rigors of B1G play is important. 

I just wonder if Brunk can see the court again.   I wonder if IU really has a PG that is one of the best in the B1G.  I yearn for shooters and some wings that can create and hit 3's.   I hope TJD finds his right hand and jumper.  I hope that the new players and the coaches make the players get motivated to improve in all aspects of the game.

If we really believe that we can land a Dean Garrett or a 6'8 AJ Moye....yeah, right.  But then again we could.

Edited by Dave from Dayton

We've got a lot of playing time up for grabs. We have potentially the best player in the Big 10 on our team. We have a head coach with 20+ years of NBA experience who was coaching for the New York Knicks a couple weeks ago. We have a ton of tradition and a giant fan base to play in front of. Sure we were a 12-15 team last year, but I still think we're an attractive destination for transfers out there. We're bringing back most of our team and we brought in two new starting guards. We're not going to be in a rebuilding year. Woody is in win now mode, and recruits can see that.