Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

7 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Is that something that’s common for college coaches to do? Because no offense to managers and grad assistants, they’re valuable people, but they aren’t the people I’d necessarily pick to develop D1 basketball players. 

In some case grad assistants will depending on what they are working on. They are assistants after all. Managers well that’s another story. That shouldn’t happen.

22 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

In some case grad assistants will depending on what they are working on. They are assistants after all. Managers well that’s another story. That shouldn’t happen.

Yes, it's not rare that graduate assistants are a part of helping out in development of college players....assistants do end up on the road a lot recruiting.  While they probably aren't the primary ones developing, why have them around if they don't provide a service?

29 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

If  Miller had the managers and graduate assistants being primarily in charge of developing the players it would explain a lot of the last 4 years. It would also make me that much happier that he is no longer the coach.

Well before Miller was fired, I had heard something along the lines of Miller himself rarely if ever directly coached players, and that it was all delegated to assistants. And if Miller had specific instructions for players, it was relayed through an assistant who would then talk to a player. Which I think is even worse than grad assistants being tasked with skills development, but fits with this sort of delegating down mentality

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yes, it's not rare that graduate assistants are a part of helping out in development of college players....assistants do end up on the road a lot recruiting.  While they probably aren't the primary ones developing, why have them around if they don't provide a service?

They can help out. But responsibility has to fall on the coaches.  

I think it’s fair for coaches to recommend certain drills that the grad assistants can monitor/run. Especially individual stuff. Even team stuff that focuses on skill development. 

team related stuff relative to offense/defense should be head coaches/assistants to prevent confusion.  

4 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Well before Miller was fired, I had heard something along the lines of Miller himself rarely if ever directly coached players, and that it was all delegated to assistants. And if Miller had specific instructions for players, it was relayed through an assistant who would then talk to a player. Which I think is even worse than grad assistants being tasked with skills development, but fits with this sort of delegating down mentality

If true, this may explain the lack of connection felt by fans between Archie and his players.  The players will allways better respect someone in the foxhole with them.  Individual talks, instruction, man to man. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

It had to be true. The results are proof. Fundamentals were a failure. Shooting was a failure. Foul shooting was a failure.
No sustained improvement for 4 ugly years.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

It does, regardless is delegated elsewhere.

Primarily in charge doesn’t seem like them taking responsibility.  Not after 3 years of it not working. You don’t set by and watch them fail for 3 years if you are taking responsibility 

Combo forward of interest entered the portal today:  Corey Walker Jr. of Tennessee.  6'8" freshman who was ranked #81 in the 2020 recruiting class on the 247 composite and 12th best power forward.  Didn't play this past year for Tennessee as he started in covid protocol and then had a foot injury.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Primarily in charge doesn’t seem like them taking responsibility.  Not after 3 years of it not working. You don’t set by and watch them fail for 3 years if you are taking responsibility 

I was agreeing with you.  If a coach chooses to delegate something out and it fails, its the coaches fault, not who he delegated it to.

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

I was agreeing with you.  If a coach chooses to delegate something out and it fails, its the coaches fault, not who he delegated it to.

Exactly. As a manager, I delegated a lot of things. I always monitored the results and made corrections as needed. Delegating responsibility is how you discover and grow leaders. Delegating is not the problem, following up is. I like CMW's hands on approach and I think it can work because he is surrounding himself with capable people. He said in his introductory press conference that he is willing to listen to and learn from other coaches. The 'brain trust' will search the portal and find the best additions available.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Combo forward of interest entered the portal today:  Corey Walker Jr. of Tennessee.  6'8" freshman who was ranked #81 in the 2020 recruiting class on the 247 composite and 12th best power forward.  Didn't play this past year for Tennessee as he started in covid protocol and then had a foot injury.

We have any prior connection anyone k is of. ?

2 hours ago, PB1230 said:

Words to this effect are found in one of the returning players first interviews after withdrawing from the portal.  

11 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Exactly. As a manager, I delegated a lot of things. I always monitored the results and made corrections as needed. Delegating responsibility is how you discover and grow leaders. Delegating is not the problem, following up is. I like CMW's hands on approach and I think it can work because he is surrounding himself with capable people. He said in his introductory press conference that he is willing to listen to and learn from other coaches. The 'brain trust' will search the portal and find the best additions available.

Yep. Just today I delegated some things that should have been done by 1.  They didn’t get done.  They were single time oddball things but on Wednesday my first day back at work I have to follow up with the lead i delegated then to

1) Why didn’t this get done 

2) Why didn’t she notify the relevant stakeholders 

3) If the answer of either of those is IDK. Why didn’t you know?

I’m 99% sure I know the answer to these questions. But need to know if she knows before handling the situation. 

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Words to this effect are found in one of the returning players first interviews after withdrawing from the portal.  

There different ways to lead. I was involved with my people on a daily basis. I never talked about 'I' and 'you' in meetings. It was always about 'we'. That worked best for me. I asked them to commit to me and I committed to them. We were successful that way. I see a whole lot of that in CMW.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep. Just today I delegated some things that should have been done by 1.  They didn’t get done.  They were single time oddball things but on Wednesday my first day back at work I have to follow up with the lead i delegated then to

1) Why didn’t this get done 

2) Why didn’t she notify the relevant stakeholders 

3) If the answer of either of those is IDK. Why didn’t you know?

I’m 99% sure I know the answer to these questions. But need to know if she knows before handling the situation. 

Great example of what I meant. When something went wrong in my department I always said it was either a people problem or a process problem. Either way, I analyzed and fixed.

3 hours ago, PB1230 said:

This to me is just insane. The director of operations for my company a guy 4 levels above me in the Org.  He saw me do something and he pulled me aside and we talked for 40 minutes about the decision the rationale and on basic leadership philosophy.  

Feedback loses meaning each level it has to travel