Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

After reading all that on Johnson... pass. 

Disagree, I think Johnson is the best guard in the portal and I think Woody is a good enough players coach to get him to buy in. Also have no issue with players getting a technical every now and then, love to see some fire.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just now, Bobman1 said:

Disagree, I think Johnson is the best guard in the portal and I think Woody is a good enough players coach to get him to buy in. Also have no issue with players getting a technical every now and then, love to see some fire.

Agreed, you have a talk with him about this being his last chance, then if he acts up you sit him. But still go after him if he fits what we want. 

4 minutes ago, Bobman1 said:

If your coach has to say something like that in a post game interview? Pass. 

I coach, I get it. Fire is different then being a punk. Yapping at the other teams bench enough to get a tech? Pass. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I coach, I get it. Fire is different then being a punk. Yapping at the other teams bench enough to get a tech? Pass. 

I would give a standing ovation if one of our players got a technical for chirping at the other team’s bench next year. IU basketball needs a total culture change. Our players are too nice. They’re too polite. We need some dogs who aren’t afraid to taunt a little bit and talk their talk.   

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I take it you weren't a Will Sheehey fan? Different strokes I guess. I miss our guys having that kind of fire. Sure you might get burned here and there, but it's better than the alternative.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would give a standing ovation if one of our players got a technical for chirping at the other team’s bench next year. IU basketball needs a total culture change. Our players are too nice. They’re too polite. We need some dogs who aren’t afraid to taunt a little bit and talk their talk.   

Sure. There is about a 1000 different ways to be "dog" and not be a punk to the extent that your coach has to call you out in a post game press conference. Taunting is for the weak. Duke doesn't taunt, Gonzaga doesn't taunt, Nova doesn't taunt. They just shut up a play. The rest is just weak a** s***. All the stuff you mentioned is fluff, it isn't what a program is built on. 

Now... there's always a line and I don't expect ANY of our kids to back down, but to be called out in a post game interview.. for one it's ungodly embarrassing or should be for Johnson and for two you can see how bad his behavior must have been. 

Just now, FightFor6 said:

I take it you weren't a Will Sheehey fan? Different strokes I guess. I miss our guys having that kind of fire. Sure you might get burned here and there, but it's better than the alternative.

I loved Will Sheehey. I don't ever remember Crean having to comment on his behavior after a game? 

I for sure want some guards with some more attitude, just not this one. I don't even have a problem with yapping (at times) I get that it happens and there are different ways people play ball. No issue with that. I still can't get over Capel having to say that though. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I loved Will Sheehey. I don't ever remember Crean having to comment on his behavior after a game? 

I hear you, but I wouldn't necessarily shut the door on a talented kid that plays with passion because of an off-the-cuff comment from a coach that hasn't coached a winning team in 6 years. He was still playing 30mpg and had a 30% usage rate (1st in ACC). Capels actions don't match his words in this instance.

Woody needs to do some vetting here to be fair, but more evidence points to Johnson being a big positive to this team than the opposite.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sure. There is about a 1000 different ways to be "dog" and not be a punk to the extent that your coach has to call you out in a post game press conference. Taunting is for the weak. Duke doesn't taunt, Gonzaga doesn't taunt, Nova doesn't taunt. They just shut up a play. The rest is just weak a** s***. All the stuff you mentioned is fluff, it isn't what a program is built on. 

Now... there's always a line and I don't expect ANY of our kids to back down, but to be called out in a post game interview.. for one it's ungodly embarrassing or should be for Johnson and for two you can see how bad his behavior must have been. 

LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world and he taunts. He does it all the time. Steph Curry taunts after almost every made three.  Do I want our players doing it to the point that they have to be called out in the postgame? No. But I’d rather try to reign in a kid who had to be in the past than have a player who shows zero emotion and let’s the other team punk them. Rutgers punked us in the second half at their place this year. Jerome Hunter was the only player who looked like he cared. The rest acted like they didn’t give a ****. Give me someone like Johnson every day of the week over the alternative. He’s not going to stand there and let himself and his team get punked.  

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world and he taunts. He does it all the time. Steph Curry taunts after almost every made three.  Do I want our players doing it to the point that they have to be called out in the postgame? No. But I’d rather try to reign in a kid who had to be in the past than have a player who shows zero emotion and let’s the other team punk them. Rutgers punked us in the second half at their place this year. Jerome Hunter was the only player who looked like he cared. The rest acted like they didn’t give a ****. Give me someone like Johnson every day of the week over the alternative. 

Congrats to those guys. Johnson is about 100 times worse than them. Apples to oranges. I agree, I'd rather have to reign a kid in it. I coach, a lot, I get it. I also don't want cancers. You can't win with them. 

2 minutes ago, FightFor6 said:

I hear you, but I wouldn't necessarily shut the door on a talented kid that plays with passion because of an off-the-cuff comment from a coach that hasn't coached a winning team in 6 years. He was still playing 30mpg and had a 30% usage rate (1st in ACC). Capels actions don't match his words in this instance.

Woody needs to do some vetting here to be fair, but more evidence points to Johnson being a big positive to this team than the opposite.

No way of knowing that. And yes, of course vetting. If he brings him in, I'll be supporting Johnson to the end. On the outside, I would have little interest though. 

There's also different T's in basketball. Hitting a shot and getting a technical because you mouthed off to the other teams bench is just an AWFUL one to get. lol AWFUL.

Your teammate drives down the lane and gets his d*** knocked stiff going up for a dunk and you come over and chuck that guy into the 3rd row, that's a good technical in my book. Zero issue with that. Two dudes banging down low and they get into each others faces.... double T's. No issue with that. 

Having to yap after you make a play because you want attention on yourself? Nahh. Soft. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Congrats to those guys. Johnson is about 100 times worse than them. Apples to oranges. I agree, I'd rather have to reign a kid in it. I coach, a lot, I get it. I also don't want cancers. You can't win with them. 

You said “taunting is for the weak.” Some of the best players in the world taunt. They talk trash all game long. They chirp constantly. It’s not a necessity. Some guys like Tim Duncan didn’t do it. But I’m not refusing a talented player because he talks trash and gets T’d up sometimes. Justin Smith was a cancer too until he went to Arkansas and wasn’t. There he was a starter on an elite 8 team. Read this article and tell me he’s  not a player who’s going to work his *** off every day. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2020/01/10/pitt-panthers-basketball-xavier-johnson-bishop-oconnell-virginia-dmv-acc-team-takeover/stories/202001100028

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's also different T's in basketball. Hitting a shot and getting a technical because you mouthed off to the other teams bench is just an AWFUL one to get. lol AWFUL.

Your teammate drives down the lane and gets his d*** knocked stiff going up for a dunk and you come over and chuck that guy into the 3rd row, that's a good technical in my book. Zero issue with that. Two dudes banging down low and they get into each others faces.... double T's. No issue with that. 

Having to yap after you make a play because you want attention on yourself? Nahh. Soft. 

Lol, that’s not a terrible technical at all. I’d love for us to be blowing out Purdue at assembly hall and have a player nail a three and then mouth off to Purdue’s bench. Assembly Hall would erupt. We’ve been bad for so long that some have forgotten how fun it is to watch IU beat a team down and then let them know about it. We’ve spent four years watching our players act like zombies. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You said “taunting is for the weak.” Some of the best players in the world taunt. They talk trash all game long. They chirp constantly. It’s not a necessity. Some guys like Tim Duncan didn’t do it. But I’m not refusing a talented player because he talks trash and gets T’d up sometimes. Justin Smith was a cancer too until he went to Arkansas and wasn’t. There he was a starter on an elite 8 team. Read this article and tell me he’s  not a player who’s going to work his *** off every day. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2020/01/10/pitt-panthers-basketball-xavier-johnson-bishop-oconnell-virginia-dmv-acc-team-takeover/stories/202001100028

I had no information on Justin Smith to tell whether he was a cancer or not. He wasn't a 3 though, that's the only issue I had in regards to him. 

As far as the rest.. I guess. I have seen about 40000 AAU games in my life. Coached about as many games... certainly understand how basketball and trash talk works. If you can't see the different in trash talk/yadda yadda and getting T'ed up because you can't keep your mouth shut long enough as you get back on defense to not hurt your team? Idk what to tell you. 

This really isn't that deep for me. Using LeBron and Curry as examples are flat out silly though.