Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

On 3/22/2021 at 11:41 AM, Unexpectedflash said:

Seems like a guy Gonzaga gets and turns into an All american 

Sounds like you are going to get this one right.   I didn’t think he would go there but sounds like they are the favorite 

48 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

For the love of Pete people just because a player enters the portal it isn't a guarantee they are leaving. Especially in a scenario where they don't even know who the next coach is going to be.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It’s pretty rare players return. In this case we don’t have a coach so it’s mildly understandable but the timing is suspect, especially if we don’t make a quick hire. Armaan will get exploding offers and may not have the luxury of waiting to see who we hire. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The move is "exploratory"

He may or may not be gone. You're right though, he'll definitely have good teams 'recruiting' him.

Purdue, Ohio State, and Louisville are my guesses based off previous offers. What if IU gets a Beard or Beilein? Hard to believe he would leave then. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

He may or may not be gone. You're right though, he'll definitely have good teams 'recruiting' him.

I understand what the word means. Im also not a fool. He's looking for better options. They are going to come in waves. Unless we make a big splash, he's gone. If I was betting on this I'd go all in on him leaving. Don't blame him. A player his caliber deserves better opportunities to win. 

28 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This is going to be the new normal, I'm guessing.  Kids with professional aspirations will be continually evaluating their personal situation from year to year.  Transferring is easy...and a new piece to play in the recruiting game.

22 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I understand what the word means. Im also not a fool. He's looking for better options. They are going to come in waves. Unless we make a big splash, he's gone. If I was betting on this I'd go all in on him leaving. Don't blame him. A player his caliber deserves better opportunities to win. 

Dang man. Pretty sure you've called the program a f-ing joke in the toilet on a further downward spiral. Now our best players deserve better opportunities, before even knowing what kind of opportunity they'll have right where they are. I understand being concerned, but it may time to put down the ol' keyboard and back away from the message boards for a bit. 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but with Franklin in the portal I think it's now at 99.99%, if it wasn't already there, that TJD is leaving no matter who IU gets as coach. From what I recall they were pretty close and I'd assume TJD having a foot out the door influenced Franklin to pursue greener pastures. Next year just got a whole lot worse unless this new coach can win big on the transfer market.

48 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

It’s pretty rare players return. In this case we don’t have a coach so it’s mildly understandable but the timing is suspect, especially if we don’t make a quick hire. Armaan will get exploding offers and may not have the luxury of waiting to see who we hire. 

This year is different than past years in terms of the transfer portal....don’t think you can look at previous years.

Or the coach we hire sells him on being the focal point of the offense the next couple years and we won't get that opportunity at most other places. Could go either way and regardless it's not a bad decision for him to have options.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Purdue, Ohio State, and Louisville are my guesses based off previous offers. What if IU gets a Beard or Beilein? Hard to believe he would leave then. 

And either of those 2 could guarantee he leaves.  He may want Dan Dakich (god forbid).  We are driving ourselves over the cliff speculating on who the next coach should be with absolutely no consensus now that Stevens is off the board.  It's folly to start speculating on who the players want because there may not even be a consensus among them.

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

You could be right, but it's not foolish to think he also may be saying what he said, that's it's exploratory, while IU has no coach in place and that remains an unknown. If IU lands a big fish coach and/or he feels comfortable with the new coach, he could stay. That's not foolish or naive, it's the situation.

39 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

This is going to be the new normal, I'm guessing.  Kids with professional aspirations will be continually evaluating their personal situation from year to year.  Transferring is easy...and a new piece to play in the recruiting game.

Unfortunate, but true

50 minutes ago, rayl456 said:

In some ways, this is what Kentucky has seen happening the last few years.  Players unhappy about playing time and exposure leave.  But I can imagine we will see more of this from college players for similar reasons.  Obviously, Franklin's case is different than the Kentucky example.  I doubt there's unhappiness about playing time.

Edited by rayl456