Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Michigan State - 3/11/21 @ 6:30 - B1G Tournament

That might be the worst I have seen the team play all year. You had control of the game at halftime and let them back in with maybe the worst quarter I have seen team play outside of Illinois game Inexcusable. 

Someone needs to yell at Teri Moren. They have now had the double bye four times and this will be the third time they fall in the first game. We can talk about the men struggling, but a big part of that is the struggle in the program.

Moren has had issues in Big Ten Tourney after great regular seasons and there is ZERO excuse for it and always losing to inferior teams.

The collapse against Purdue cost us an NCAA Tournament a couple yrs ago. Fortunately, we earned our way to a top four seed in NCAA this yr, but this collapse is going to cost us a seed line probably to four seed and make Sweet 16 rather than Elite 8 the ceiling. I would be thrilled with Sweet 16 for first time ever but this is a huge missed opportunity and Moren needs to explain why her team always comes out flat in Big Ten Tourney. Its a massive issue. 

So disappointing after how the season as a whole has gone.  MSU simply dominates the 2nd half and gets a 69 - 61 win.  Now we wait to see how the NCAA treats us for seeding purposes.

Reb:  Holmes 9; Berger 7; C-H 4

Assts:  Patberg 6               

We committed 17 TO and we were just 2-10 on 3s and 11-18 FT.  We had no answer for Nia Clouden who finished with 30 for the game; 27 coming in the 2nd half.

Like I said this loss is less costly than many Moren has produced in Big Ten Tourney, but at some point she needs to explain why her team is always unprepared for this. She has done so much right (including a couple NCAA tourney wins) but the Big Ten Tourney is an ugly issue on her resume 

Fortunately, she has hit expectations in NCAA Tourney so we should make at least Sweet 16 run. 

Guess Women did not want to take spotlight from baseball's big series this weekend;). Huge missed opportunity for some weekend exposure.  

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

That second half was pitiful. We'd better bring it in our next game or it could be our last. 

Uh no. As a 3 or 4 seed you will play a bad mid-major and could play 5x worse than tonight and still win.

We could certainly get knocked out in second round with the same effort, as MSU about on level of team we will play in second round. 

Fortunately, in two NCAA tournament appearances Moren has hit her ceiling with a 1st round win and a hard fight with a top seed before losing in second round. Following that logic we will get to at least Sweet 16. NCAA Tournament has never been a Moren problem. Only Big Ten Tourney a problem for her.  

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Surprising to me. Fully expected a W. Had them where we wanted them.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Same. IUWBB is much better than MSU. Just was an off night. Patberg and Gulbe played way to awful to play 36 & 38 minutes respectively. Moren did nothing with substitution patterns to reign them in or give someone else a chance to contribute. 

12 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Same. IUWBB is much better than MSU. Just was an off night. Patberg and Gulbe played way to awful to play 36 & 38 minutes respectively. Moren did nothing with substitution patterns to reign them in or give someone else a chance to contribute. 

There is no one to substitute. That is the one issue with this team.

They have arguably the best starting lineup in the Big Ten, but the bench might be the worst. The only halfway decent substitutes are Kiandra Browne who is a freshmen and is going to be a good player but is incredibly raw now, and Kiana Warthen who as a senior is what she is and can provide you a minute here or there for depth but lacks the talent to play constantly at this level. 

As bad as the starters were last night they give you the best chance to win and their is a reason they play 35-40 min a game. 

12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

They have arguably the best starting lineup in the Big Ten, but the bench might be the worst. The only halfway decent substitutes are Kiandra Browne who is a freshmen and is going to be a good player but is incredibly raw now, and Kiana Warthen who as a senior is what she is and can provide you a minute here or there for depth but lacks the talent to play constantly at this level. 

As bad as the starters were last night they give you the best chance to win and their is a reason they play 35-40 min a game. 

Makes sense and makes Penn’s quitting the team that much more puzzling/frustrating. 

41 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Makes sense and makes Penn’s quitting the team that much more puzzling/frustrating. 

Agreed but even with Penn your depth was not terribly better.

Nicole Cardano Hillary really did not thrive until moving into the starting lineup when Penn opted out and she has been better than Penn since then. When Penn was here you had a decent bench player with NCD, but starting lineup was weaker with Penn and even one good bench player is not great depth. 

56 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I’ve been concerned about depth of talent coming off the bench.  Having 2 players opt out hurts depth. I really like Browne but I believe she’s also dealing with a hip injury.  Let’s hope the starters refocus and make a run in the tournament.

11 minutes ago, LockdownD said:

I’ve been concerned about depth of talent coming off the bench.  Having 2 players opt out hurts depth. I really like Browne but I believe she’s also dealing with a hip injury.  Let’s hope the starters refocus and make a run in the tournament.

Depth was an issue BEFORE the opts out.

Nicole Cardano Hillary was not the player she has become until she replaced Penn in starting lineup. Cardano Hillary was an OK bench player before Penn opted out, but one contributing bench player does not equal a lot of depth and starting lineup overall is better with NCD than Penn and that lineup change is not made without the opt out.

Danielle Patterson was a massive disappointment before she opted out and was not a quality depth player. Probably why she is no longer playing.