Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball - March 5-7 - 2021 Season Opening Weekend

Believe the hype on McCade Brown! I was skeptical after he was so bad last couple years but Mercer has absolutely fixed him into a dominant pitcher.

Offense still a bit slow to get going but I expected that. Only negatives so far was Gabe Bierman Friday but am assuming he will be fine after being really good last couple years. Only other concern is Braden Scott who has been an absolute lockdown reliever last couple years in middle and late relief has looked awful in both his appearances last couple days out of pen and nearly gave both wins away before others saved him.

Other positives so far this weekend have been Hunter Jessee who continues to develop into what I think will be a terrific lineup player and got the game started tonight with a patient walk on a full count to get IU on the board in first after they nearly blew the inning. That follows a long HR yesterday. Also Sommer was terrific yesterday as a starter and Matt Litwicki as he was last year was great out of pen tonight to lock the game down. 

We still have plenty arms left for tomorrow against Minnesota one more time given the great starts by Sommer and Brown last couple games. Have no idea what to expect from Ty Bothwell tomorrow who is the starter as he pitched only very limited last year before the shut down so this will be a true wild card. Can't imagine Minnesota is in great shape pitching wise though after the 17-2 loss today and having a game before playing us tomorrow against Rutgers again. 

I had us at 2-1 right now but with loss to Minnesota last night and win twice over Rutgers. Yesterdays results just got flipped. I give IU a slight edge tomorrow in a high scoring game just because we have used a lot less pitching so far than Minnesota has.   

Game tomorrow night is at 7pm as the last game of day. 

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

7 pm start on a Sunday? Only during Covid, I guess. 

Its because there are three games today that are happening and four teams playing at the site. This is happening a couple times throughout yr where four teams are at one home teams site and you will see different than usual starting times as a result.  

Minnesota killed Rutgers so hopefully like yesterday with the Scarlet Knights they got all their offense out of their system before playing us. Still absolutely no idea what to expect out of Bothwell but I am sure Minnesota is down to their last starter and has used a lot more bullpen guys. Could see a lot of runs.

First pitch pushed back to 720pm after aforementioned Minnesota Rutgers game ran long. 

Underway. IU in their "Sunday Red's" for first time.  No Hunter Jessee tonight. Colopy back in after the HR last night in RF. Third new LF of weekend for IU in some guy named Bobby Whalen.

IU on top Early! Two out double into the LF corner by Barr and then a 2-run HR to LF that barely cleared the short wall by Toetz. 2-0 IU after 1/2 inning. 

Ashley single to LF, Richardson a smash to deep CF of the low part of the high wall, scoring Ashley to make it 3-0. Nothing more though as Minny pitcher retires next 3 batters. To the bottom of the 3rd.

Bothwell rebounds after a mound visit and got a K to end inning. Actually got a K for the other two outs as well but the in between was a problem and pitch count getting up there. Fortunately our bullpen should be well rested after being little used first 3 games. 3-1 IU to 4th inning.

IU gets a couple more in 5th. Double by Richardson to CF that was nearly caught but actually got trapped. Single by Barr to CF to move runner to 3rd. Than an RBI groundout to SS by Toetz, before Fucci with a 2 out single to right center. 5-1 halfway home! 

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Underway. IU in their "Sunday Red's" for first time.  No Hunter Jessee tonight. Colopy back in after the HR last night in RF. Third new LF of weekend for IU in some guy named Bobby Whalen.

Has Ethan Vercrumba appeared in a game this weekend?

Just now, Chris007 said:

Has Ethan Vercrumba appeared in a game this weekend?

No. Crowded outfield already with Richardson, Jessee and now Colopy and Murrison ahead of him both of who show promise. That does not even bring up Bobby Whalen who I had never heard of before he started tonight. Vecrumba appears far down depth chart right now.