Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IU Baseball - March 5-7 - 2021 Season Opening Weekend

Hoosiers open the season with a doubleheader in Minneapolis on Friday.  At 4:00, they'll face Rutgers and at 8:00 Minnesota.  On Saturday at 9:00 p..m., they'll play Rutgers for a second time and on Sunday at 7:00 p.m., they'll play Minny.  All of the games will be played in U.S. Bank Stadium.

Live Stats for the Rutgers' games at:  https://scarletknights.com/sidearmstats/baseball/summary

Live Stats for the Minneosta games a:  https://gophersports.com/sidearmstats/baseball/summary

All 4-games will be broadcast on BTN+ ($)

My thought: The attempt to turn this from a football to a baseball field is half @$$. Baseball lines are harder to see than football lines in infield and are faded. Outfield has no lines at all and just the walls but all the football lines are still there and burn bright. 

I get it since this is used by the Vikings 99% of time but still among the worst line jobs for a multi use facility I have ever seen.

We made nothing of a leadoff Drew Ashley single to start game in top of 1st.

In Bottom half Bierman had no command and walked first two guys. Then got into a 3-1 count with third batter. Ump called ball 4, strike 2 on a borderline pitch which got Bierman going as he struck the guy out with a nasty pitch. Then an easy flyout and a terrific catch by Ashley in RF got us out of inning. We were this close to giving up a big inning but the help of the ump and Ashley allowed us to barely scrape by.

0-0 after 1. 

Nothing again from us in top half of 2nd. Bierman really struggled again giving up a long HR to start inning and could of been a lot worse with 2 additional base runners but got K to end it. 

Bierman looked good last yr as ace before season was cancelled from the get go but incredibly rusty today. 

Hopefully we make Rutgers regret getting 1 run in the first couple innings instead of the 4 or 5 they should of had.

1-0 Rutgers after 2. 

Ashley walked in 3rd but nothing came of it. Bottom half Rutgers got a single but ran themselves out of an inning on a bad attempted steal decision and a HR was foul by a few inches. Again Rutgers fails to score.

Still waiting for IU to make Rutgers pay for not jumping on IU when they should of. 

1-0 Rutgers still after 3. 

IU ties it up in top 4 with two out magic. Toetz had a two out single than Sam Murrison hit one of the very high RF wall for an RBI Triple. That wall gives me bad shades of an equally high wall in LF at Michigan. Would of been a HR elsewhere.

1-1 after 3.5 innings.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

My thought: The attempt to turn this from a football to a baseball field is half @$$. Baseball lines are harder to see than football lines in infield and are faded. Outfield has no lines at all and just the walls but all the football lines are still there and burn bright. 

I get it since this is used by the Vikings 99% of time but still among the worst line jobs for a multi use facility I have ever seen.

You brought it up somewhere else??? and I wondered how it would look. Your post makes it worse than I imagined. 

This isn't in response to your posts; if you're gonna have a pinstripe uni, just have the IU trident on the left chest and not the full script Indiana similar to the Yanks, Cubs, ChiSox, etc.

Bierman still looks worse than I have ever seen allowing the first 2 batters to reach via walk and wild pitch. A very poor sac bunt saved IU a run as they were able to get the lead runner at third so the subsequent single only got 1. From there Bierman got a strikeout and pop out to end it.

Rutgers up 2-1 after 4 and should be a lot worse as Bierman for the first time I have ever seen him pitch has no command of his pitches.

IU brings in a new frosh and he kills it with 2 strikeouts and a 1-2-3 inning. 

Still 2-1 after 5. If IU can chase Rutgers ace Rutkowski who is their one decent pitcher, their bullpen is really bad. 

Absolutely nothing in sixth for either team. 

2-1 to Seventh and Rutkowski is out. Now is IU's big chance as none of the other Rutgers pitchers are very good. 

To the 8th and still nothing happen. 2-1 Rutgers. Bright spot has been John Mudungo who has been stellar for three innings out of the pen and shut Rutgers down. Maybe should get a starting spot with this attrition. 

The Bierman situation is the one that bears watching. Inexcusable for your ace to give up two runs in four innings and constantly get in trouble with walks and no command and should of given up a lot more if not for some good luck from defense and poor Rutgers base running. Rutgers is one of the worse teams we will see and if he wants to be your lead guy has to be a lot better like he was last year.

Also Mr. All American Grant Richardson is 0-4 today but offense always starts slow in baseball. Its Bierman to me that is them major concern when he is expected to lead our staff.

To the bottom of the 8. IU 3 outs from a very disappointing loss.

Our so called stars on offense have still done nothing but as I said a lot more of this to me goes on Bierman as quite frankly we are lucky this game is 2-1 and not 6-1 with the way he pitched. 

Mudungo another terrific inning. He has been the one positive this game and saved the rest of the bullpen which is the huge for the four games. He should be the third or fourth starter with the way he looks but the one redeeming factor today.

Last chance time for IU. 

Absolutely inexcusable loss to a bottom feeder to open season. Fortunately its a long season with 44 game so not the end of the world.

Absolutely unacceptable though by Bierman as the lead pitcher. Also, being shut down by Rutkowski for six innings I get, but the performance against their terrible bullpen was NOT OK. Literally were flailing at one pitch after another with extreme impatients against terrible pitchers. Offense needs to wake up but I expect most of what happened in a season opener there. What Bierman gave needs to be given extreme extreme scrutiny and if it happens again he needs to be yanked from the lead rotation spot.

Positive: We found another terrific arm in that Mundungo guy for long relief and a starter down the road.