Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

13 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They really got lucky with Allen. He’s amazing and I’m really glad they went with him, but man that was a big risk. 

The crapshoot is why I’m such a big pusher of Thad Matta. I’d rather take a risk on a guy like him being healthy than take a risk on a mid-major guy being able to coach. If Matta is healthy, we know what he can do. I don’t trust them to be able to find the right up-and-comer. Archie checked all the boxes and he was still a massive flop. 

He didn’t check all the boxes. His Dayton teams played some terrible games. They had games where they scored in the 40’s and low 50’s. His offense was a question mark before he ever arrived. His success at Dayton was after the A10 lost its top teams to another conference. He benefitted greatly from conference realignment. IU would be  in first if the top 9 teams all went to the ACC/SEC, that’s essentially what happened at Dayton. We also didn’t know how he would recruit at a high major level as the head coach.  The warning signs were there  

During that search period I remember debating those who wanted Archie as the top candidate. He was on my list but he was down in the 5-10 range. To be fair my number one choice turned out to be a tool and is unemployed last I looked, Gregg Marshall. 

13 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Big risk, but big reward.  I don't think they got lucky.  Allen took his opportuinty and made the most out of it.  Just hope he sticks around for a long time (assuming he keeps it up).  Most coaches crap the bed.  

These hires at these salaries are always a risk but TA showed many signs of leadership, ability to turn a program and the ability to recruit.

TA was not an accident.