Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

27 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

If he makes the final four with this team he should be made president of the world...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No kidding there is -472% chance of IU making the Final Four. I will be amazed if they make the Final Four....of the B1G tourney, let alone THE FF. 

6 hours ago, Rico said:

Meh, Michigan's "culture" has been in place for a while.

Agree to disagree.

It’s far from a given that a culture will be maintained when a head coach leaves.

What happened when Dean Smith left, John Thompson left, Bear Bryant left,  etc etc., etc. A lot of times the “culture” is not maintained by the subsequent coach and many predicted that Howard would drop the ball. My main point, however, was that I thought he did a good job seeing that he needed guards and brought in 2 grad transfers that are heavy contributors while we have been complaining about guard play for four years but not filling a couple of roster spots.

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Agree to disagree.

It’s far from a given that a culture will be maintained when a head coach leaves.

What happened when Dean Smith left, John Thompson left, Bear Bryant left,  etc etc., etc. A lot of times the “culture” is not maintained by the subsequent coach and many predicted that Howard would drop the ball. My main point, however, was that I thought he did a good job seeing that he needed guards and brought in 2 grad transfers that are heavy contributors while we have been complaining about guard play for four years but not filling a couple of roster spots.

Meh, Howard took over an elite program at their height of eliteness.  Don't cherry pick on me Gene Bartow.

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

You realize that Howard was viewed as an excellent X’s and O’s guy in NBA circles before he took the Michigan job right? Martelli was brought in to be a mentor and help guide Howard through the NCAA rule book. I’m sure Martelli as a mentor has an influence on Howard but the guy can coach and recruit. 

I’ve also read he was a good X’s and O’s guy and never quite knew why there were assumptions that he didn’t know what he was doing. All I know is they were picked to be 9th or so in the Big Ten, have looked very good in a number of games (the Illinois loss surprised me) and he has 2 five star and 3 four star guys coming in next year. It’s early in his tenure, and too soon to wave a victory flag, but I’d be very happy so far if I was a UM fan.

Just now, DChoosier said:

I’ve also read he was a good X’s and O’s guy and never quite knew why there were assumptions that he didn’t know what he was doing. All I know is they were picked to be 9th or so in the Big Ten, have looked very good in a number of games (the Illinois loss surprised me) and he has 2 five star and 3 four star guys coming in next year. It’s early in his tenure, and too soon to wave a victory flag, but I’d be very happy so far if I was a UM fan.

They're a basketball school now. 

If IU gets punked by Purdoo does Archie hang around through the conf tourney one and done formality? 

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Meh, Howard took over an elite program at their height of eliteness.  Don't cherry pick on me Gene Bartow.

I didn’t mention Bartow but now that you mention him.....:)

And Smith was one of my examples. In his last 5 years UNC was in the second round twice and final four 3 times (ie they were at a higher level of eliteness  than Michigan under Beilien) but UNC went down the tubes. It’s not a given that the culture will be maintained under a new coach. In any case, my main point was more that Howard filled a need, right away, while Archie kept open roster spots. I prefer Howard’s approach.

46 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

They're a basketball school now. 

If IU gets punked by Purdoo does Archie hang around through the conf tourney one and done formality? 

I think there is a 0% chance he is gone before the off-season and to be honest it’s probably only 10% he is gone at all this year. 

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Chris007 has mentioned several times about the financial impact the pandemic has had and will have on IU.  This from Osterman - Indy Star and keep in mind, this is for the fiscal year 7/1/19 - 6/30/20 and we'd only seen the tip of the iceberg at that point.

IU reported reduced annual revenue to the NCAA for the first time in at least 15 years in 2020, a dip of more than $6.6 million from 2019. 

That’s according to the athletic department’s annual financial report, obtained via records request by IndyStar. Member institutions are required to submit a copy of the report annually to the NCAA.

Indiana’s latest report — which covers the fiscal year from July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020 — outlines the initial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on bigtime college athletics. In many ways, however, it represents the tip of a much larger financial iceberg. 

Among the biggest revenue reductions reflected in IU’s 2020 report were an $800,000-plus loss in ticket revenue, a dip of nearly $5.5 million in contributions and a loss approaching $3 million in NCAA distributions. That final number is a direct result of the canceled 2020 NCAA men’s basketball tournament, which forced the association to scale down membership distributions from $600 million to $225 million. 

IU did report an increase in expenses of about $5.5 million, after reporting a reduction in expenses from FY18 to FY19. 

The increase in department expenditures — due in large part to increased salary payouts and a reported $2.22 million in bowl expenses — will have been heavily influenced by the cost of IU’s recent football success. Those bowl expenses covered the Hoosiers’ appearance in the 2020 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., after two years without playing in the postseason. And Tom Allen’s fresh contract, following the success of an 8-4 2019 campaign, plus bonuses and raises spread across his staff, accounted for much of the increase in coaching salary expenses. 

What Indiana’s FY20 report largely does not reflect is a) the overwhelming bulk of the financial losses Indiana, like its sister departments across Division I athletics, will suffer as a result of the pandemic, and b) most of IU’s mitigatory efforts in response.

Much of the COVID-related impact felt in the FY20 report is the result of forces that balanced against one another, like a loss in ticket sales offset by a decrease in team travel expenses due to canceled seasons. 

The effects of the ongoing pandemic — effects Indiana is weathering right now — will be spelled out in far greater detail in next year’s report. 

That’s where departments are expected to outline a large-to-near-total loss in gameday revenues (tickets, concessions, parking, sponsorships, etc.), in in-person and interpersonal efforts like fundraising and contributions, and in any losses suffered at the conference or NCAA level in media revenues or other distributions. 

Since last spring, Indiana has done what it can to soften that blow, the impact of which could still stretch as high as $60 million in lost revenue, according to department estimates. 

Starting with a series of cost-saving measures enacted before the transition from Fred Glass to Scott Dolson as athletic director, IU has tightened its belt in non-essential travel, recruiting expenses and other discretionary areas. Multiple coaches have donated money back to the department, and all employees have been required to take a furlough period from work. 

Those efforts will still likely leave an eight-figure hole in the department’s budget, a hole Dolson told IndyStar in an interview last year he will consider all options in attempting to fill. Thus far, the department has not opted to cut any of its 24 varsity sports, or to follow the lead of some other Power Five-conference athletic departments in borrowing against future revenues (largely television/media revenues) to cover the oncoming loss. 

Still, what’s reflected in this year’s financial report — the department’s first year-over-year revenue decrease in the Big Ten Network era — only represents the beginning of the extensive financial pain Indiana will feel as a result of COVID-19.

And if memory serves, Archie did give money back to the school. 

Plus, what hasn’t been talked about (or if it has I missed it and thus apologize), is how many times can the university realistically go back to the well (boosters) for the same problem over and over before the boosters basically say “Hey, we’ve bought out every coach pretty much since Knight. Exactly when does this school plan on making intelligent hires and negotiating smart contracts because we’re getting tired of bailing out bad hires and dumb contracts?”

I mean, if I were a booster, and while I wouldn’t mind assisting my alma mater in times of real need, I’d like my money too and would prefer to keep it in my pocket, rather than foolishly pay buyouts every time a coach doesn’t work out. This doesn’t necessarily rise to the level of “real”need, and I even want Miller gone myself. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

I think there is a 0% chance he is gone before the off-season and to be honest it’s probably only 10% he is gone at all this year. 

I agree with the 0% chance, but I think your 10%  is up around 75%

When we lose out, it will be around 93.5%

13 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

The buyout isn't upfront!  That is a really big deal!

That’s not the point of what I was trying to say. Sooner or later, people will tire of giving their money frivolously because something didn’t work out. No matter if it’s all up front or whatever. Bad decisions are bad decisions no matter how they’re packaged. At some point, Indiana (and everyone else) will have to suck it up and live with what they bought, whether it’s Miller or someone on down the line. The house of cards will eventually crumble, and athletics as we know it is a house of cards right now whether realized or not. My interest will be in seeing what (if any) business adjustments come out of this pandemic.

4 minutes ago, hoosierfan84 said:

That’s not the point of what I was trying to say. Sooner or later, people will tire of giving their money frivolously because something didn’t work out. No matter if it’s all up front or whatever. Bad decisions are bad decisions no matter how they’re packaged. At some point, Indiana (and everyone else) will have to suck it up and live with what they bought, whether it’s Miller or someone on down the line. The house of cards will eventually crumble, and athletics as we know it is a house of cards right now whether realized or not. My interest will be in seeing what (if any) business adjustments come out of this pandemic.

I'm more comfortable with Dolson as AD then I was with Glass.  I think Scott will make us all proud.

54 minutes ago, hoosierfan84 said:

Back to your original point.  People with disposable money will always have money to give.  I'm sure most donors already have a certain amount of money penciled in for IU every year.  They need to for tax purposes.  As far as extra donations, yes that could waiver if the administration keeps dicking up hire after hire!

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I wondered about that. Archie is a competitive sonofagun, so I would imagine walking away from something would eat at him. But at the same time, he cannot be enjoying this and I would hope is smart enough to see that for whatever reason, it's not working. And it's not gonna get any better. Still bums me out, though -- because for all the vitriol spewed toward him on these pages, I like him. When he was hired, I thought we had our coach for the next 10-15 years. 

So did I, I wonder where it went sideways and why he couldn't fix it?