Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

FYI -- probably splitting hairs here, but Mike Davis was not fired. He resigned. Would he have been fired? Who knows? But he said later on he knew he wasn't the right fit, so he thought it was best to move on at that point. 

Regardless, had we hired Beilein then -- when we should have -- we would've never been in this mess now. Not necessarily advocating for Beilein now -- just sayin'. 

28 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Wow, IU had the gall to fire someone based on performance in a season where they made the tournament.

He resigned. About one to two weeks before the BTT. We were not an NCAA tourney team when he resigned. Maybe I can teach an IU basketball class for a lot of people on here if Stuhoo or others let me. 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He resigned. About one to two weeks before the BTT. We were not an NCAA tourney team when he resigned. Maybe I can teach an IU basketball class for a lot of people on here if Stuhoo or others let me. 

To be fair, his job was on the line for poor performance.  Then with his job on the line he called in sick against Steve Alford's Iowa team.  It was over for him at that point, so he "resigned"

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Professor Chris, the floor is yours.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Chris, I've worked in sports and now work in gov't. I know when guys 'resign' because they want to leave vs. given the friendly way out. As a person, Mike Davis is a nice guy but wasn't ready for IU. He admitted it in that BTN coaches' circle show back when but at the same time making what he probably made at IU against what he got at UAB is worlds apart.

I remembered davis resigned but can't recall who the coach was to finish the season. Also davis wasn't fired but the fans were definitely being hard on him. I went to a couple games and fans were screaming to fire him while walking out. I feel the fans were more hateful to him than they are archie now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I remembered davis resigned but can't recall who the coach was to finish the season. Also davis wasn't fired but the fans were definitely being hard on him. I went to a couple games and fans were screaming to fire him while walking out. I feel the fans were more hateful to him than they are archie now.

He resigned but was able to finish the season as head coach. Fans were more hateful towards him than any other coach we have ever had and I think most of us know why. 

He resigned but was able to finish the season as head coach. Fans were more hateful towards him than any other coach we have ever had and I think most of us know why. 

He let me and a couple of IU buddies in AH for one of his practices. The IU job is not easy, but he did seem to be a nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Didn't want to wade into that pond but not going to argue the point. There was still a lot of animosity over Knight's firing and the circumstances surrounding Davis being hired. All of which has led to this point. At least, that's how I remember it. (This is where I play the old man card if I'm wrong.)

1 minute ago, cthomas said:

Didn't want to wade into that pond but not going to argue the point. There was still a lot of animosity over Knight's firing and the circumstances surrounding Davis being hired. All of which has led to this point. At least, that's how I remember it. (This is where I play the old man card if I'm wrong.)

You're correct about people not happy about the firing, also about Davis being hired but you're being a little naive if you don't think certain fans didn't like him for reasons I mentioned. Especially when we live in Indiana. 

I thought he was referring to the fact most the fan base was furious over the way they zero tolerance knight out and the fact we went from a guy who demanded discipline to a guy who smiled no matter how dire the situation was at the time lol.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

You're correct about people not happy about the firing, also about Davis being hired but you're being a little naive if you don't think certain fans didn't like him for reasons I mentioned. Especially when we live in Indiana. 

I wasn't disagreeing with your point at all. I was just saying that it was THAT and all the other factors that made the job very difficult for him.

4 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I thought he was referring to the fact most the fan base was furious over the way they zero tolerance knight out and the fact we went from a guy who demanded discipline to a guy who smiled no matter how dire the situation was at the time lol.

Yes you are correct. I misread it

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I wasn't disagreeing with your point at all. I was just saying that it was THAT and all the other factors that made the job very difficult for him.

My bad I misread your post. You are 100% correct

For me it was when he blamed the fans for the losses.  As the team was in a free fall, and fans were growing angry, he said something to the effect of "you fans don't understand what you're doing to this team".  For a coach that was on the hot seat to seemingly blame the fans and then to call in sick....it was over.  

As to what you're alluding, I want Archie fired too.  I couldn't care less about that other stuff.

Looking back I think Davis was actually a better coach than Archie. Davis was treated unfairly due to his speaking ability and other reasons. He struggled with the media and it didn’t help that he followed a legend. I’m not sure there’s a coach in America, other than a home run hire , that could’ve followed Robert Montgomery Knight.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

For me it was when he blamed the fans for the losses.  As the team was in a free fall, and fans were growing angry, he said something to the effect of "you fans don't understand what you're doing to this team".  For a coach that was on the hot seat to seemingly blame the fans and then to call in sick....it was over.  

As to what you're alluding, I want Archie fired too.  I couldn't care less about that other stuff.

Anecdotal evidence of people that didn't like Davis purely from a basketball standpoint doesn't make the other sad reality less true.

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

But 15 years later we're still having some of the same problems. How many times do fans tweet a player after a loss telling them how bad they are, or go after a recruit when they pick another school? IMO we as fans don't do a very good job supporting the players and coaches of the team we supposedly love.