Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

I thought Matta resigned, he got bought out?

When he left, it was a weird situation. It was decided that he would "no longer be the basketball coach at Ohio State." ... According to a story I saw, he was to be paid the final three years on his contract -- that period, presumably, has ended. So as of now, he has no income. Of course, when you were making $4 mil a year when you were working, and then $4M a year when you weren't working -- you can probably squeak by without an income. 

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I like that example. Mick did have a pretty solid history behind him with Cincinnati, and while Archie did some good things at Dayton I would easily have taken Mick’s body of work over his. Shoot, I would take Cronin tomorrow; he’s proven. It doesn’t have to be a guy with umpteen final fours, top 3 recruiting classes, etc. High level experience and consistent winning. Get a guy like that, give him the resources. Who that is right now, I don’t have many confident guesses. The allure we may have to coaches, probably like we had when Archie accepted the job, is the chance to be the guy who resurrected Indiana basketball. I hope players feel the same. Maybe a big reason why he took the UCLA job.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I wonder if the analog to Cronin moving from UC to UCLA would be something like IU looking at a Willard at Seton Hall or Cooley at Providence?  Both respected coaches with varying degrees of success.  Again, just spitballing here?

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

We would likely see some transfers but this is the one year a new coach could bring just as many transfers in that are immediately eligible. Lots of roster turnover isn't a great formula for immediate success, but you are right, the focus would not be on the short term. I've been wondering if the free agency thing would make it an even more appealing job if we were to make a change this offseason. 

I am curious to see how the glut of transfers impact APR scores across the country, hopefully the good folks in Indy have taken this into account...

27 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm guessing that in most coach "resignations" there's been buyout negotiations behind the scenes that culminated in an announced "resignation".

Yeah...I just googled it and saw that O$U payed him a $9M buyout after he resigned.  Weird stuff happening there.  

17 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I wonder if the analog to Cronin moving from UC to UCLA would be something like IU looking at a Willard at Seton Hall or Cooley at Providence?  Both respected coaches with varying degrees of success.  Again, just spitballing here?

I think Ed Cooley could do really well at IU.

Add him to my list.

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I will respectively pass on both.  Fine where they are, but I don't think it would work here!

But what the F*** do I know, I thought Archie was the next Coach Knight!

CAM must go. Losing record in BT, can’t beat Purdue, can’t win at home and no NCAA in 4 years. We are worse off now than we were with Creepy Tom (who I’d take over CAM at this point). He hasn’t come close to delivering here. It’s in all parties’ best interests for him to move on. Any shot NC State opens up, so he can land there?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

When Miller was hired I thought we'd atleast have a good defense, we don't really even have that. 

Yeah and I expected we would see that defense turn into offense but have be one of the least fast breaking teams in the country. 

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Contrary to popular belief a decision isnt solely tied to the buyout.

Tom Crean was more marketable than Archie Miller would be.  Archie might be too boring for a TV "color" commentator. Crean is a talker. Even if sometimes what he said made no sense he could make it sound convincing. Also, Crean had several players in the NBA (D Wade, Oladipo, Zeller among them) and had coached a team to the Final Four. Miller doesn't have much to hang his hat on--a couple of decent runs with Dayton. He will eventually get a job but it could be a while. Mitigation doesn't mean he has to take any job. It has to be somewhat comparable.

9 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

He will eventually get a job but it could be a while. 

I look at it differently.  It could take a while if he only made a minimal effort but I think there would be low and mid-major schools interested in his background of having coached in the B1G and the recruiting connections he has and wouldn't be that hung up on his IU coaching record.  

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Man, this site is awesome.  We had this information before that site did!