Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The revenue that will be lost if we bring him back matters.

No doubt true. And can you imagine , just from the standpoint of optics, this team running on the floor for the 1st game of a new season and the Coach being booed? It’s just become unimaginable to me that that can be allowed to happen. It would be unfair to everyone involved. Miller’s not a bad guy and his conduct hasn’t embarrassed the school. But it’s just untenable now.

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

No doubt true. And can you imagine , just from the standpoint of optics, this team running on the floor for the 1st game of a new season and the Coach being booed? It’s just become unimaginable to me that that can be allowed to happen. It would be unfair to everyone involved. Miller’s not a bad guy and his conduct hasn’t embarrassed the school. But it’s just untenable now.

And if TJD doesn’t come back And Archie does?

Man we’re gonna suck.

Remember how bad Archie's recruiting was last summer? It will be worse in 2021. He has very little fan support, and the kids and opposing coaches know it. He'll have fewer years on his contract than what it would take to see those kids through their junior year. (So he needs an extension, can you imagine that happening?) 

There are actually quite a few reasons to think the program won't fall deeper in a hole performance-wise and financially if Archie is let go after this season. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

For ****’s sake.

That means that after we lose to MSU and Purdue it will be worse. And that’s after Archie went 9-9 in the B1G with Crean’s players his first year.

Horrible

Not saying anyone wants Crean back, but he was better than Miller.

Just tells you how ridiculously bad Archie has coached his own players. He’s been worse every season with his own players than Crean’s players. That’s the irony

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And if TJD doesn’t come back And Archie does?

Man we’re gonna suck.

Textbook definition of a sh**show.

But if they brought in a guy who can provide some energy, even if it’s not a rockstar hire, and you combine it with the whole free agency angle this year, that guy has a chance to create, if not a really good product, at least an interesting one. And right now I’d be happy as hell with interesting.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Just tells you how ridiculously bad Archie has coached his own players. He’s been worse every season with his own players than Crean’s players. That’s the irony

He has said since the beginning that his program relies on veteran leaders.  I was fine with that but he seemed to have missed when recruiting potential leaders. 

From his first class (2018) only 2 of the 5 remain and Rob and Hunter just don’t seem to have that “follow me” ability.  

The class he inherited from Crean Al and Race seem better suited to lead than his 2018 class. 

His 2019 class, if they stay, has that potential but as Sophomores they weren’t quite ready to lead. Maybe next year, again if they stay. 

His 2020 class is so young you can’t really tell. Galloway seems to have potential but it is likely a few years before they were expected to lead. 

So had Archie hit on that first class or inherited some leaders in that 2017 class we may be seeing different results. In fact, if he leaves he may hit early and have different success at his next school. Right now, it seems that not only do we have a talent issue but we also don’t have those senior leaders he said he needed. 

It is apparent that we cannot continue down the road we are on. I hope we don't blame the kids at any point for what is going on. This falls squarely on the coaching staff and the administration that oversees it. If / when a change is made, we are likely looking at a very different team. Maybe that's what needs to happen. But, as I have said on multiple occasions, I really like our players. I just wish they had been able to achieve the level of success that I thought they could. I fear another ground up rebuild is in our immediate future.

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Watching Archie’s last few postgame conferences, he looks absolutely exhausted and pretty defeated. I definitely think he’s a guy that takes losing hard. I find it hard to believe that he’s happy here right now and it may honestly be best for both sides if he somehow found a new job this offseason and we could pay a buyout that’s somewhere between the 10 million this year and the 3 million next year. I know it’s probably a long shot.

Great post!

I DO NOT think that’s a long shot 

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

He has said since the beginning that his program relies on veteran leaders.  I was fine with that but he seemed to have missed when recruiting potential leaders. 

From his first class (2018) only 2 of the 5 remain and Rob and Hunter just don’t seem to have that “follow me” ability.  

The class he inherited from Crean Al and Race seem better suited to lead than his 2018 class. 

IIRC, Race is from the 2018 class and was red-shirted. The class inherited from Crean were Al, Justin Smith, and Clifton Moore.

2 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Watching Archie’s last few postgame conferences, he looks absolutely exhausted and pretty defeated. I definitely think he’s a guy that takes losing hard. I find it hard to believe that he’s happy here right now and it may honestly be best for both sides if he somehow found a new job this offseason and we could pay a buyout that’s somewhere between the 10 million this year and the 3 million next year. I know it’s probably a long shot.

I am glad that you brought up this point because I have been chewing on this point as well.  CAM has a young family and lives squarely in the middle of a basketball rabid fanbase that isn't pleased - this can't be fun for him or his loved ones.  I wonder if a 'mutual parting of the ways' could happen after the season?  Is there a precedent in college athletics?

2 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I am glad that you brought up this point because I have been chewing on this point as well.  CAM has a young family and lives squarely in the middle of a basketball rabid fanbase that isn't pleased - this can't be fun for him or his loved ones.  I wonder if a 'mutual parting of the ways' could happen after the season?  Is there a precedent in college athletics?

I honestly have no clue but one of the first jobs I thought of was Pittsburgh. I’ve seen rumors Capel may be on the hot seat. It’s still a good basketball school but definitely less pressure than we have here. I’m sure going back home and getting a fresh start would appeal to Archie. 

1 minute ago, MemphisHoosier said:

This. And he has been really fortunate that fans have not been able to attend home games. By this point it would be brutal. He has largely been spared that embarrassment. I don't think he is a quitter, or even that he is a bad coach, it just hasn't worked here. Might be a good time to negotiate a mutual parting of the ways.

1 minute ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I honestly have no clue but one of the first jobs I thought of was Pittsburgh. I’ve seen rumors Capel may be on the hot seat. It’s still a good basketball school but definitely less pressure than we have here. I’m sure going back home and getting a fresh start would appeal to Archie. 

Not on his own terms.  Ego is too big.  He won't concede.

30 minutes ago, cthomas said:

It is apparent that we cannot continue down the road we are on. I hope we don't blame the kids at any point for what is going on. This falls squarely on the coaching staff and the administration that oversees it. If / when a change is made, we are likely looking at a very different team. Maybe that's what needs to happen. But, as I have said on multiple occasions, I really like our players. I just wish they had been able to achieve the level of success that I thought they could. I fear another ground up rebuild is in our immediate future.

The players deserve some blame. Some things are out of their control, but they have complete control over how hard they play. Too often the effort is severely lacking. Against Rutgers they flat out quit. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Negotiating a buyout might be a really smart deal for both.  If I understand correctly, he gets 10 million spread over the next 3 years.  Any income he makes from his next job counts towards that 10 million, lowering the number.  So say we offer him an instant 5 million to walk away.  He'd wind up ahead as would we.  Problem solved, saves us 5 million for the next coach.

Try $7.5 million