Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

A. J. Guyton's response to a question asking if the IU administration was satisfied with mediocrity.

No, I don’t think they’re satisfied with mediocrity. I believe it all has to play out. People want instant everything now. Won’t work like that. I think Dolson knows what it takes but he just started July 1st. Whenever he thinks a change is necessary he will make it.

Side note:  I follow A.J. on twitter and he so badly would love to be a part of our program.  Is that good or bad, I don't know, but there's no questioning his passion for IU basketball.

31 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Obviously, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes -- at practice, in the locker room, at team meetings, etc. But on the surface, it just seems as if Archie has no relationship with his players. There just looks to be a real disconnect there. You don't necessarily want your coach to be friends with the players -- at least while they're in school -- but there needs to be some type of relationship. There just doesn't appear to be much of one. ... Wonder what it was like for him at Dayton?

This post reminded me of the IU football game against Michigan when we won, Coach Allen was doing an interview and all the players were saying this is our coach, we love you, coach. I thought would any of the basketball players do this to Archie. Coach Allen has a way with the players that they love to play for him, don't want to let him down, and feel bad when they make a mistake. We don't have that on the basketball side. We're missing it and we need it

Just now, Chris007 said:

This post reminded me of the IU football game against Michigan when we won, Coach Allen was doing an interview and all the players were saying this is our coach, we love you, coach. I thought would any of the basketball players do this to Archie. Coach Allen has a way with the players that they love to play for him, don't want to let him down, and feel bad when they make a mistake. We don't have that on the basketball side. We're missing it and we need it

Forget the words--look at the players' faces.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

That second half unguarded slam dunk procession by Rutgers was something to watch, eh?

Yes, more painful than Davis quitting on his last team. More painful than Crean collapsing against Syracuse being the #1or 2 seed with 6/1000 point scorers. More painful than the Sampson debacle and Dakich running everyone off the team. Even more painful than getting your a$$ kicked every year by Purdue. Indiana basketball plays hard 100% every game and every year no matter the coach and players. But not last night.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I think the very end of the Crean era was worse---the basketball was just as completely depressing, but Crean acted all weird, awkward, and excuse-driven when it went south. Archie remains a likeable adult while his team wholly disintegrates.

I agree that Archie remains likable. He takes blame for his team’s failures. That’s a lot more than we saw with Crean

21 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I didn't want Crean gone as much as I do Archie now. It's been a LONG time since I have been this mad this long after a loss. I usually don't allow my thoughts on a loss affect the rest of my day. Today it is.
I think it is time to inundate the Athletic Department with emails or calls to fire hime.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can relate.  I wouldn't describe my attitude as being 'angry' but more (extreme) 'frustration'.

We've been in the position as fans many times in the past couple of decades when the writing on the wall is indelible - this isn't going to work.  The frustration is feeling that the inevitable decision to fire the coach and hire his replacement may well not occur anytime soon. As Magnanimous said so well: "We weren’t stupid for hiring him, but we sure as hell will be if we keep him while the program swirls the drain."

Beyond the cost of fullfilling the financial requirements of CAM's contract, there is no reason to let this continue for another year.  Recruiting is stagnant and the current players don't appear to be fully engaged - I'd guess there will be multiple players exiting the program before fall.

As an auxiliary to this thread, here is a change.org petition to create a viable coaching candidate:

If other IU Basketball board posters are viewing this, please distribute on your board and tell 'em Stuhoo said "Hi."

https://www.change.org/p/boston-celtics-fire-danny-ainge-and-brad-stevens

1 hour ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I agree that Archie remains likable. He takes blame for his team’s failures. That’s a lot more than we saw with Crean

His personality is flat.  Not inspiring anyone.  Was apparent at his introductory presser, just thought he could overcome with being a good coach.  Big time coach needs to motivate the players, fans, and media. 

Knight was an unbelievable *******, genius, motivator, and an undeniable character that created buzz with sometimes just a facial expression.  Archie lacking in all of those.  He likes gum.

9 minutes ago, Redleader said:

His personality is flat.  Not inspiring anyone.  Was apparent at his introductory presser, just thought he could overcome with being a good coach.  Big time coach needs to motivate the players, fans, and media. 

Knight was an unbelievable *******, genius, motivator, and an undeniable character that created buzz with sometimes just a facial expression.  Archie lacking in all of those.  He likes gum.

I totally agree with this. He doesn't have a personality that you gravitate to. Like when I see Coach Allen I automatically get a smile on my face.

Maybe we need to change the focus for a moment. It has been said many times on this board and by our lovable blowhard DD that the real problem may be the administration.

Now does this mean the AD and his department?  

Does this mean other admin departments like compliance?

Does this mean the trustees? Or influential people like Gonzo and others DD has mentioned?

If we all agree that it is probably time to make a change at the coaching level does our problems in the “admin” hurt our chances of hiring the right coach? Further, does it hurt their chance to then succeed once hired. 

I already rented my pitchfork and am ready to storm the palace (this is not literal for anyone who might be confused) but instead of calling for a new head coach I think our target needs to be ridding us out the “clown show” we have now. 

If agreed, can’t we mobilize and maybe get the press in on this?  Can’t we target them first then shift our focus to the coach?  

24 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Maybe we need to change the focus for a moment. It has been said many times on this board and by our lovable blowhard DD that the real problem may be the administration.

Does this mean the trustees? Or influential people like Gonzo and others DD has mentioned?

If we all agree that it is probably time to make a change at the coaching level does our problems in the “admin” hurt our chances of hiring the right coach? Further, does it hurt their chance to then succeed once hired. 

I already rented my pitchfork and am ready to storm the palace (this is not literal for anyone who might be confused) but instead of calling for a new head coach I think our target needs to be ridding us out the “clown show” we have now. 

If agreed, can’t we mobilize and maybe get the press in on this?  Can’t we target them first then shift our focus to the coach?  

Yes

Take it for what it's worth and draw your own conclusions.aaae4f9fb708a5b767623d039cdc5671.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Redleader said:

Diet Coke and gum have been the most consistent things with IU basketball in a long time

FWIW, Kent Sterling's viewpoint in Cliff's Notes version:  If the right guy is out there, do it now.  If he isn't, wait out another year.

Full version at:

http://kentsterling.com/2021/02/25/indiana-basketball-ad-scott-dolson-knows-it-may-be-more-costly-to-retain-archie-miller-right-iubb/

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'd say we need a response from someone else and see if it's just a copy and paste. 

It is.  That’s how they have always done that type of thing.  It will be some college kid working in the department copying and pasting. A fan will never get an email to Scott Dolson.  It would get filtered into a specific folder that interns have admin access to in Outlook.  Tbh they probably set up a signature in Outlook with that generic response and switch the team out every game.  One click email done.