Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

3 hours ago, IUrocker said:

Thanks...with it being quiet now, like u mentioned, do you think that makes it lean one way or another or it probably just doesn’t mean anything? 

Maybe it got quiet because Archie and the Admin have reached an agreement to mutually part ways?!

Maybe it got quiet because Archie and the Admin have reached an agreement to mutually part ways?!

It sounds good but I truly believe that Dolson isn’t going to bother Archie while still actively coaching this team. We are getting ready for the Big Ten tournament. I think Archie will be given the chance to run the table before they sit him down for the talk.

I think we lose in the first or second game personally.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

It sounds good but I truly believe that Dolson isn’t going to bother Archie while still actively coaching this team. We are getting ready for the Big Ten tournament. I think Archie will be given the chance to run the table before they sit him down for the talk.

I think we lose in the first or second game personally.

Not unless Dolson already made up his mind, and Archie wants out.  Who knows what goes on behind the scenes,  I'm just throwing $hit on the wall and seeing what sticks!

Archie complained about shooting in Lucas oil stadium....  Watch us shoot lights out and win the damn thing!!!!!   That would be...........................................AWESOME! 

I would take one more year of Archie just to make it to the dance this year!

Cool.....so let's not recruit shooters.

I don’t want to speak for him here, but I don’t believe that’s what he’s getting at Brum. Each of you will have to decide for yourselves as to one question. Are the open looks generated by the offensive system? Or, is it because the opponent scouting report reads quite literally, “This is the shot we want them to take”? Myself, I 100% believe it is the latter. If I understand correctly, Loaded is saying IU can and should recruit all the pure shooters it wants, but under this offense, it won’t be an effective fix. There is nothing I have seen that proves this offense can generate looks for shooters who would be in that scouting report as “Dont let this guy get an open look”.

25 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I don’t want to speak for him here, but I don’t believe that’s what he’s getting at Brum. Each of you will have to decide for yourselves as to one question. Are the open looks generated by the offensive system? Or, is it because the opponent scouting report reads quite literally, “This is the shot we want them to take”? Myself, I 100% believe it is the latter. If I understand correctly, Loaded is saying IU can and should recruit all the pure shooters it wants, but under this offense, it won’t be an effective fix. There is nothing I have seen that proves this offense can generate looks for shooters who would be in that game plan as “Dont let this guy get an open look”.

But it's a defeatist attitude.  If we haven't recruited shooters, it's ludicrous to throw your hands up in the air and say it doesn't matter.  And we aren't living in a vacuum....if and when we move on from Miller, we NEED to have shooters for the next coach.  His 'no point if Archie has one more season' doesn't exactly set the next coach up for a smooth transition.

12 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

But it's a defeatist attitude.  If we haven't recruited shooters, it's ludicrous to throw your hands up in the air and say it doesn't matter.  And we aren't living in a vacuum....if and when we move on from Miller, we NEED to have shooters for the next coach.  His 'no point if Archie has one more season' doesn't exactly set the next coach up for a smooth transition.

We don't get a lot of open looks from 3 as is and defenses already sag off of us from the perimeter. At this point, any team is stupid defensively if they guard anyone outside of the 3 point line. If we had shooters, the inside would be open more, but we still wouldn't be getting a bunch of good looks from 3. It's not what the offense is built to do. The people in the spots where shooters SHOULD be, is always someone like Race, TJD or Brunk. While someone like Durham is off somewhere that has no angle for a great pass. 

Here is a play from Purdue... How could it be better?

Well let's look...

Leal should already be in the corner. As Durham is coming off Races pick and roll/pop, Leals defender has to help or stay on Leal. He stays, two man game with Durham and Race(if he rolls) or 1v1 with the option to kick it out to Leal if his defender helps. On the other side, Phinisee is running all the way through(which is beyond stupid, it completely makes the Race screen useless). Phinisee should be cutting off TJDs screen, no lob? Pop back out to the corner. At this point, you're just distracting yours and TJDs defender from seeing the other side of the floor. At the same time, if Durham doesn't drive or hands it off to Leal, then TJD can still set another screen for Phinisee and work an off ball pick and roll. There's so much more that can happen if guys were just placed where they're supposed to be, and they never are. Ever. 

Screenshot_20210309-212359_Chrome.jpg

Not sure if discussed on here but our offense seems to be struggling because our opponents know what we are planning to do. Maybe better than we do. This can’t be an effective coaching approach. 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/probably-not-a-good-thing-purdue-guard-said-he-knew-all-of-indianas-plays/

I would love to ask Archie why he changed the offense from our first year to this crowded mess that we run now. I was watching some highlights from that first year and the spacing and pace we played at was so much better. We weren't constantly looking over at Archie about what play to run like we do now and there was way more fluidity to the play. We were still a terrible shooting team and didn't shoot enough 3s but I remember thinking that whenever Archie got some of his recruits in to that offense it'd be pretty good. I'm just confused why he decided to change it so drastically to what we see now. 

1 hour ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I would love to ask Archie why he changed the offense from our first year to this crowded mess that we run now. I was watching some highlights from that first year and the spacing and pace we played at was so much better. We weren't constantly looking over at Archie about what play to run like we do now and there was way more fluidity to the play. We were still a terrible shooting team and didn't shoot enough 3s but I remember thinking that whenever Archie got some of his recruits in to that offense it'd be pretty good. I'm just confused why he decided to change it so drastically to what we see now. 

Remember what players we had and what they had already played under. Robert Johnson, Juwan Morgan, Devonte Green, Josh Newkirk, Colin Hartman, Zach McRoberts, De'Ron Davis and Freddie McSwain all had at least 1 year under Crean. Johnson and Newkirk had about 3 years a piece and Juwan had 2 years. They understood space and pace more. 

1 hour ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I agree with you, we did a lot of back door cuts and other motions that we don't see anymore!  That year really made me think he was going to do great here, then the wheels fell off!

9 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Am I reading this wrong or is this a dig at Armaan

FC926004-FBCA-456D-B859-1D113589B629.png

It can definitely be interpreted that way.  I think what he may be saying is that Race is more injured overall since he has the ankle plus the facial injury, but Armaan's foot is the most limiting single injury.  Who knows though.

Just now, craigyv88 said:

It can definitely be interpreted that way.  I think what he may be saying is that Race is more injured overall since he has the ankle plus the facial injury, but Armaan's foot is the most limiting single injury.  Who knows though.

It certainly comes off as strange.  I do think that someone had posted here that Armaan had not practiced since being injured so it might be that is a factor as well.  Could be that given that Armaan would be counted on being able to make cuts a lot on his ankle while Race's position calls more for a banging, plodding type of expectation from his game.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Remember what players we had and what they had already played under. Robert Johnson, Juwan Morgan, Devonte Green, Josh Newkirk, Colin Hartman, Zach McRoberts, De'Ron Davis and Freddie McSwain all had at least 1 year under Crean. Johnson and Newkirk had about 3 years a piece and Juwan had 2 years. They understood space and pace more. 

Definitely a fair point.

De'ron did start out his sophomore season very well and looked like he was going to really develop into top tier Big Ten big man, although he still wasn't ever able to play big minutes.  Through 10 games he was averaging 11 1/2 points in under 21 minutes per game....then he seemed to get really slowed down and eventually it was clear that his foot was bothering him too much to play the rest of the year.  

On 3/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

We don't get a lot of open looks from 3 as is and defenses already sag off of us from the perimeter. At this point, any team is stupid defensively if they guard anyone outside of the 3 point line. If we had shooters, the inside would be open more, but we still wouldn't be getting a bunch of good looks from 3. It's not what the offense is built to do. The people in the spots where shooters SHOULD be, is always someone like Race, TJD or Brunk. While someone like Durham is off somewhere that has no angle for a great pass. 

Phinissee has gotten a ton of good looks from three, though.  And he either passes them up or misses them.  The thing that gets to me most is that when we DO actually run a quality play and kick out to an open shooter, we still are shooting a really low percentage.