Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Archie. Miller. Fired.

For ****’s sake.
That means that after we lose to MSU and Purdue it will be worse. And that’s after Archie went 9-9 in the B1G with Crean’s players his first year.
Horrible
Not saying anyone wants Crean back, but he was better than Miller.

Said the same thing yesterday

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just now, Bowhunter said:

We still have to ha e the right guy to take his place. Paying all that money in a buyout is pointless if we end up with another dud. It better be the right guy this time, whether it’s this year or next.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Hiring anyone is going to be better than the bloodbath next year if Archie stays. 

43 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I wonder if a 'mutual parting of the ways' could happen after the season?  Is there a precedent in college athletics?

Happens more than you think but just doesn't necessarily make big headlines.  Boston College fired their coach mid-season and then have gone on a 4-game winning streak.  New Mexico announced today a mutual parting buyout with their coach who is in year 4 of a 6-year contract.   Dollars certainly not of the the magnitude of Archie's buyout but in terms of impact on athletic dept. budgets probably just as great.

28 minutes ago, cthomas said:

It is apparent that we cannot continue down the road we are on. I hope we don't blame the kids at any point for what is going on. This falls squarely on the coaching staff and the administration that oversees it. If / when a change is made, we are likely looking at a very different team. Maybe that's what needs to happen. But, as I have said on multiple occasions, I really like our players. I just wish they had been able to achieve the level of success that I thought they could. I fear another ground up rebuild is in our immediate future.

While I agree, I also think with the right guy we could have this thing turned around in 2 years (I get this is a big if). The biggest problem with the roster, isn't that these guys are awful, it just that these players have not been developed at all by the coaching staff outside a few exceptions. Hell majority of our roster was ranked from 70-130 coming out of high school. It's not like Archie has been bringing in a bunch of Gelon's every year. He is just awful at player development. Imagine how much better of a team we'd be if Phinisee would have been developed. He is the same player he was as a freshman. 

Cupboard is not as bare as it seems. We have some pieces that could build a great foundation. We need to find a coach that can develop them, while also bringing in some difference makers to push us over the top. Problem is who is that guy? Im not sold on a guy like Oats yet. To me, a guy like Thad Matta would be a great hire. I get the concern about his back but he'd check a ton of boxes. Very respected in college bball, won at a high level in the BIG, and has recruited the midwest and Indiana well. If he were hired he'd immediately be a top 3-4 coach in the conference. When's the last time IU has been able to say that? Im open to other options, but never understood the Matta hate on this board. All he has ever done is win, which is something we haven't been able to do in a long time. 

IU can't just hire anyone. The school has to hire a proven coach with some stature. Anything less and it will be tough to have the fanbase get behind the move. If IU just hires another Archie Miller--a promising coach at a midlevel school looking to move up--there will be no reason to have faith that things will be any better. Most IU fans thought the Archie Miller hire was a good one and believed it was better than keeping Crean. In fact, Archie has not been better than Crean as bad as Crean was.

7 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

While I agree, I also think with the right guy we could have this thing turned around in 2 years (I get this is a big if). The biggest problem with the roster, isn't that these guys are awful, it just that these players have not been developed at all by the coaching staff outside a few exceptions. Hell majority of our roster was ranked from 70-130 coming out of high school. It's not like Archie has been bringing in a bunch of Gelon's every year. He is just awful at player development. Imagine how much better of a team we'd be if Phinisee would have been developed. He is the same player he was as a freshman. 

Cupboard is not as bare as it seems. We have some pieces that could build a great foundation. We need to find a coach that can develop them, while also bringing in some difference makers to push us over the top. Problem is who is that guy? Im not sold on a guy like Oats yet. To me, a guy like Thad Matta would be a great hire. I get the concern about his back but he'd check a ton of boxes. Very respected in college bball, won at a high level in the BIG, and has recruited the midwest and Indiana well. If he were hired he'd immediately be a top 3-4 coach in the conference. When's the last time IU has been able to say that? Im open to other options, but never understood the Matta hate on this board. All he has ever done is win, which is something we haven't been able to do in a long time. 

My only hesitance with Matta is that his last really good team was in 2012 which is a long time ago. He has a great resume and I think he’d be a clear upgrade but I’m not certain he’s a home run just because there are still some uncertainties. I feel like getting this next hire wrong would be pretty tough to recover from if we’re doing this again in 4 years. 

Edited by Unexpectedflash

Just now, Unexpectedflash said:

My only hesitance with Matta is that his last really good team was in 2012 which is a long time ago. He has a great resume and I think he’d be a clear upgrade but I’m not certain he’s a home run just because there are still some uncertainties. I feel getting this next hire wrong would be pretty tough to recover from if we’re doing this again in 4 years. 

I get that. But we swung and missed 2 times in a row trying to hire the next up and coming guy. We cant afford to take that risk again. I'd rather bet on a guy who is a proven winner in our conference, who already has an established name. We can pretend and toss out many names of who our next coach might be, but lets be realistic, Alford will likely be near the top of Dolson's list. So take your pick, who would you rather have, Alford or Matta. I would be 100% be ok with Thad Matta being the face of our program

Just now, KYHoosier said:

I get that. But we swung and missed 2 times in a row trying to hire the next up and coming guy. We cant afford to take that risk again. I'd rather bet on a guy who is a proven winner in our conference, who already has an established name. We can pretend and toss out many names of who our next coach might be, but lets be realistic, Alford will likely be near the top of Dolson's list. So take your pick, who would you rather have, Alford or Matta. I would be 100% be ok with Thad Matta being the face of our program

Don’t get me wrong I definitely feel like Matta would be an upgrade and if those are my choices it’s Matta 100/100. I just would rather have Matta as a solid backup plan if we strikeout on some other people.

2 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I am glad that you brought up this point because I have been chewing on this point as well.  CAM has a young family and lives squarely in the middle of a basketball rabid fanbase that isn't pleased - this can't be fun for him or his loved ones.  I wonder if a 'mutual parting of the ways' could happen after the season?  Is there a precedent in college athletics?

Tubby leaving UK for Minnesota?  

2 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

I am glad that you brought up this point because I have been chewing on this point as well.  CAM has a young family and lives squarely in the middle of a basketball rabid fanbase that isn't pleased - this can't be fun for him or his loved ones.  I wonder if a 'mutual parting of the ways' could happen after the season?  Is there a precedent in college athletics?

We mutually parted with Mike Davis in 2006. 

3 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

My only hesitance with Matta is that his last really good team was in 2012 which is a long time ago. He has a great resume and I think he’d be a clear upgrade but I’m not certain he’s a home run just because there are still some uncertainties. I feel like getting this next hire wrong would be pretty tough to recover from if we’re doing this again in 4 years. 

I agree in that I always liked Matta but in his last two years his teams went to the NIT and then did not make any post season tourney. He basically had a Crean type finish at OSU and many thought he left the program in pretty bad shape (except those that defend the Archie vs Holtman comparison by claiming Holtman was left with a veritable  pile of talent  and a program with unbelievable momentum).