Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IUBB at Rutger 8:00 on BTN

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Rob will probably go down as Archies biggest recruiting mistake. We needed a solid pg and Rob is just not close to being a solid B1G point. He looks to be playing in slow motion most of the time.

Yes, and it was really a worst case scenario because Rob looked like the PG of the future during his freshman year, which took PG off of the list of high priorities for 2019. If Rob had been a dud as a freshman, Archie would have had a chance to try to fix it with the next class. But unfortunately Rob's roller coaster development hamstrung the PG position for 2-3 years

1 minute ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Not over recruiting Rob and Al. Biggest mistakes. Not getting a 3 that can start and be a shooter. We should be at a point where we have a Big Ten caliber starting PG, Franklin, Big Ten Starting 3. Instead when have an Indiana State starting PG, Indiana State starting SG and Frank. 

Pretty much agree. I think Lander was supposed to be an improvement but Im not sure at this point.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

Pretty much agree. I think Lander was supposed to be an improvement but Im not sure at this point.

I think he will be. He's comfortable with the ball, sees the floor well. His biggest problem seems to be that the pace is too quick, which isn't shocking since he's a very young freshman. He made some great drives last night, and then just couldn't convert. He's rushing his shots. If the game slows down for him, I think he'll be great.

Our guard play is just terrible most of the time. We gave Rutgers so many good looks late in the first half and then in the second half. Ive said for the last 4 years that if Al Durham is playing 30 plus minutes then we are in trouble and wont be very good. Here we are again wondering about the post season.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I disagree with you on this one. Lack of consistent effort has been a hallmark of Archie’s teams,  he has left left roster spots open when we needed depth, we have had a constant need for shooters, are plagued by scoring droughts, etc etc...Why would that have changed at OSU? 

I should have been clearer: I didn't mean to imply Archie's coaching wasn't part of the problem, obviously it's the biggest part. What I meant was, there's this mentality, which I certainly shared during the leaner Crean years, that we have all the parts in place and if we could just plug the right coach, a real X's and O's guy, into this well oiled machine that we'd be fine. I don't buy this idea anymore. The rot in this program is way bigger than just the coaching staff.

Obviously the Archie/Holtmann switcheroo is a counterfactual and counterfactuals are inherently silly to debate. Sure, some of Archie's deficiencies would've been apparent at OSU, and we probably could've stolen a few more wins here and there on the strength of Holtmann's apparently superior coaching acumen. But I don't think it would have been THAT different. Because what I see in the past five years, between Crean's last year and Archie's tenure, is two coaches with polar opposite styles, demeanors, and coaching philosophies, with remarkably similar levels of mediocrity. That tells me it's not just an in-game coaching issue.

52 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Disagree.

This is the fault of the players, AND the coach that brought them in.

Some of the "kids" can legally drink and vote. What's the cutoff for kid anyway? Different strokes for different folks, but the players get free college, a little criticism on an internet forum won't kill them and likely shouldn't be reading anyway.

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Some of the "kids" can legally drink and vote. What's the cutoff for kid anyway? Different strokes for different folks, but the players get free college, a little criticism on an internet forum won't kill them and likely shouldn't be reading anyway.

That's why I said this on the players too. A little criticism on a forum certainly--when things go well they get a lot of praise!

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's why I said this on the players too. A little criticism on a forum certainly--when things go well they get a lot of praise!

I was agreeing with you. Probably didn't need to quote you and was more directed at Golfman. I will criticize and praise a player for what they do on the court or field. Where I draw the line is questioning their character for any action on or off the court as I don't personally know any of them, so who am I to say one way or the other. But I can totally relate to Golfman's rationale for thinking that way. Just different for some and I get and respect it. As someone said earlier Rob being the biggest recruiting mistake of Archie's IU tenure may be a little strong, he certainly has warranted his share of criticism this year for his play, but he's certainly not alone.

17 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Watching the Smart shot always takes me back to the vivid memory of place I was at, and people around me. I was in HS at a mall house party. I remember everyone on the couch, chairs, and floors just jumping up through the roof. 

I wanna go back lol. The only other sports game that sticks to my memory even close is the Reggie Miller performance were he scores several times in the final minute vs NYNs. 

****.....just had a thought.  We are the New York Knicks of college basketball.  Used to be really good, not liked outside of our state, haven't been relevant for years.

I should have been clearer: I didn't mean to imply Archie's coaching wasn't part of the problem, obviously it's the biggest part. What I meant was, there's this mentality, which I certainly shared during the leaner Crean years, that we have all the parts in place and if we could just plug the right coach, a real X's and O's guy, into this well oiled machine that we'd be fine. I don't buy this idea anymore. The rot in this program is way bigger than just the coaching staff.

Obviously the Archie/Holtmann switcheroo is a counterfactual and counterfactuals are inherently silly to debate. Sure, some of Archie's deficiencies would've been apparent at OSU, and we probably could've stolen a few more wins here and there on the strength of Holtmann's apparently superior coaching acumen. But I don't think it would have been THAT different. Because what I see in the past five years, between Crean's last year and Archie's tenure, is two coaches with polar opposite styles, demeanors, and coaching philosophies, with remarkably similar levels of mediocrity. That tells me it's not just an in-game coaching issue.

Crean won the big ten the year prior to being fired. He was mediocre but let's give him more credit that comparing him to the biggest failure in coaching at indiana by far in the last 50 years

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rob turned out the exact opposite most thought he could be. It's a real shame.

I'd love to know who has more confidence at this point, Rob or Kristian. 

Not a fan of Bardo but he punked Rob once again last night. He said something like, “I just want to go down and give Phinisee a hug”. He’s done it when calling other IU games too. He definitely isn’t saying that to be compassionate. I take it as him calling out Rob as a complete chump. I hate people punking our players but....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

44 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Crean won the big ten the year prior to being fired. He was mediocre but let's give him more credit that comparing him to the biggest failure in coaching at indiana by far in the last 50 years

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Did you not read what I wrote? I said "Crean's last year." In 2016-17 we had 3 NBA players (granted, one out for half the year due to injury) and we went to the NIT. Two years later we've got 2 NBA players (one playing injured for most of the year) and...we went to the NIT. Pretty dang comparable if you ask me.

Crean won the B1G twice and both times missed the tournament the following year. The cumulative average of that kind of inconsistency is, by definition, mediocrity.

38 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Not a fan of Bardo but he punked Rob once again last night. He said something like, “I just want to go down and give Phinisee a hug”. He’s done it when calling other IU games too. He definitely isn’t saying that to be compassionate. I take it as him calling out Rob as a complete chump. I hate people punking our players but....

Then go out with some focus & determination and make him (along with the rest of his critica) eat his words . If Rob doesn’t like his narrative, it’s up to him to change it. 

I’m a die-hard iubb fan who never watches games anymore, and doesn’t know when they play until I get ESPN notifications. No way in the world will I give next year any attention if he’s back.

I’ve turned my notifications off