Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IUBB at Rutger 8:00 on BTN

7 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I couldn’t have been more wrong about this hire. I thought Archie would do really well. Once again, I turned off the game after IU blew another double digit lead because I knew the end result. It’s pathetic that this is my stance as an IU fan

Nope.  Archie is the one who messed up the hire.  He was given a plateload of opportunty only to squander it out of stubornness.  His failure to adjust and adapt is his down fall.  Nobody to blame but him.  

That smart shot is the first picture on my Iphone, ever.  Took it off the TV when I caught a replay of the game.  
Had the opportunity to meet Daryl Thomas when he was coaching at a kids tourney.  Showed it to him.   He loved it.  I'm sick, I know.  Where is that 12 step program?   :)  

Did it become a Smart phone after that?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 minutes ago, bigrod said:

How many times do we have to hear Archie say that there’s nothing wrong with what they are doing, they just have to do it better. Slow starts have been a mainstay in his time, and lineups have rarely been adjusted. Shooting issues, free throws, lack of flow on offense. These have been issues every season, but his response has been to keep doing what they are doing. As has been mentioned many times, all the good coaches play to their players’ strengths. This is just sad...

How many game left?  

3 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

You’re absolutely right. Archie probably would’ve killed at Ohio State just like Holtmann

I firmly believe that if we'd hired Holtmann and Archie had gone to O$U like everyone thought would happen, the results would be about the same and everyone on here would be cursing Fred for not hiring Archie. Anyone who thinks our issues are just X's and O's is kidding themselves.

One Positive: We shot 8/18 from 3! That's 44%! Rutgers made 11 3's, which resulted in a 39%.

- Rob Phin was running cross country again last night. Logging 22 minutes with 0 points and 2 rebounds. 

- Frank's injury to the ankle will probably due us in for the remaining games of the year.

-TJD came out aggressive in the 1st half, that's good. We didn't get him the ball much in the 2nd though.. 

- Kristian.. poor Kristian. Kid probably doesn't have confidence to even talk to a girl on campus at this point. At this point he needs to start and play more than Rob however. We have to get him some minutes and maybe an ounce of confidence heading into the off-season.

- This season is more than likely over. The freshman need to see more minutes. Jordan and Leal must play more.

20 minutes ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

I firmly believe that if we'd hired Holtmann and Archie had gone to O$U like everyone thought would happen, the results would be about the same and everyone on here would be cursing Fred for not hiring Archie. Anyone who thinks our issues are just X's and O's is kidding themselves.

I concur that our fanbase puts tremendous pressure on the program.  But the glaring issues associated with coaching are very real.  Through a combination of recruiting and focus we lack the level of shooting required to consistently compete at this level.  Our offense is simplistic and easy to both predict and defend.  Our defense is static and thus increasingly easy to predict and attack.  And finally the team as a whole (not to mention certain individuals) lacks the level of development and confidence needed to consistently hold leads and/or make comebacks in crunch time.  

I agree that Archie probably would have had more success at OSU.  And Holtmann may have struggled more at IU vs OSU.  But I don't agree that the extent of the gap between the two would have been so significant.  The odds that the pressure of the IU job would have caused Holtmann to both miss and fail to correct so many issues are low. 

45 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Depressing realization this morning: Our PG play was better with Josh Newkirk and Devonte Green in Archie's first year than it has been this year. Not the only problem, clearly, but need solid play at the PG position to be successful consistently.

I was actually thinking the other day about how Newkirk was better than Phinisee

Just now, NOLA Hoosier said:

I was actually thinking the other day about how Newkirk is better than Phinisee

Just too many players going the wrong way or haven't gotten acclimated this year. Galloway and Phinisee in particular going backwards. Lander and Leal still haven't really found their footing or at the very least Archie can't or won't put them on the floor. Race and Franklin are the development bright spots then TJD still doing TJD things. Not a fun time right now for Hoosier fans. Last night's documentary was cool to see but was showing a time 3 years before this poster was even born. To think Bob Knight came back during the Archie tenure and he might not even survive a year after he shows up after 20 years. Just sickening

2 hours ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

It’s not just Xs and Os, it’s Ws and Ls. 

The problem is that
  • Freshman Rob Phinisee was far better than Newkirk, but
  • Newkirk is notably better than a healthy junior Rob Phinisee

I think people overrate freshman Rob because of how bad Junior Rob is. He averaged 7 points and 3 assists on 36% shooting. He showed promise, but Rob has never actually been a good player at IU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Free Jurkin! said:

I think people overrate freshman Rob because of how bad Junior Rob is. He averaged 7 points and 3 assists on 36% shooting. He showed promise, but Rob has never actually been a good player at IU.

People have very fond memories of that Butler game winner I believe. Combine that and being from Indiana it fits their narrative of the team being built the correct way comparative to the way CTC built his teams. At least that's the way I see it.

3 hours ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

I disagree with you on this one. Lack of consistent effort has been a hallmark of Archie’s teams,  he has left left roster spots open when we needed depth, we have had a constant need for shooters, are plagued by scoring droughts, etc etc...Why would that have changed at OSU? 

39 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

People have very fond memories of that Butler game winner I believe. Combine that and being from Indiana it fits their narrative of the team being built the correct way comparative to the way CTC built his teams. At least that's the way I see it.

I think that's probably right. He was good for a young freshman, but that's not the same as being actually good. He's never even been average, but that Butler shot was awesome.

58 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Rob will probably go down as Archies biggest recruiting mistake. We needed a solid pg and Rob is just not close to being a solid B1G point. He looks to be playing in slow motion most of the time.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

Rob will probably go down as Archies biggest recruiting mistake. We needed a solid pg and Rob is just not close to being a solid B1G point. He looks to be playing in slow motion most of the time.

Not over recruiting Rob and Al. Biggest mistakes. Not getting a 3 that can start and be a shooter. We should be at a point where we have a Big Ten caliber starting PG, Franklin, Big Ten Starting 3. Instead when have an Indiana State starting PG, Indiana State starting SG and Frank. 

1 hour ago, kreigh8 said:

I was at that game and came away with some concerns about Rob because the Butler guards were hounding him to the point he couldnt even get in the offense. He just wasnt quick enough to turn the corner. The game winner was fun though.