Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Josh

IUBB at Rutger 8:00 on BTN

7 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

52 minutes of playing time, more than a ******* quarter of the minutes, went scoreless, again.  What in the absolute **** is going on?!

Development! 

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I'm not convinced that if it comes down to a full buyout that we will have booster $ to come in and pony up the cash.  If IU were looking to fire Miller AND make a splash in the coaching market, you are not just talking about paying Miller off but also looking to pay big for a new coach.

The more likelier option that I would envision is Miller and the University reaching a reduced buyout option.  Miller really has two options.....go into next year as a lame duck and knowing that the buyout after next year drops significantly....or look for a smaller buyout and go back to his roots where he found success and look at coaching at a mid major.  There are two things that really aren't deniable:  his tenure at IU has been a failure and his tenure at Dayton was very successful.  Might want to see if he can catch fire a second time at a mid major school, Daytonish type of place.....and my guess is it was a place where he was happier.

First and foremost, I don't think a full buyout would keep them from going after a big name (if a big name was interested). More or less I think the can find the money if the they have a opportunity to make a true splash. To me it's more about if a big name would even be interested.

I agree AM was great at the MMs and should go back. As far as a reduced buyout is concerned, I think he'd do whatever made sense from a pure math perspective. It's hard to low ball a guy on buyout, and say either take this or were waiting till next year and will get rid of you then. That's just not how conversations go. 

Whatever they do, I just hope they either get a big name (experienced), or go with a young up and comer with a more exciting scheme. A scheme that would also attract players, and a young guy that can recruit. 

Throw an enormous number at Stevens.  When he 99.5% says no, then check on Mattas interest and health. 

when that 75% fails you go to someone way out of the box....but young exciting and good Indiana ties...

28 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Winston Morgan on game vs. Yugoslavia: "Kid spit on me, so I cracked him ..." 

This show is so good. 

Awesome show. I loved the bits about who else got invited to go.

22 minutes ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

The Boosters got IU in this mess in firing Crean without a plan. They can get us out if it or watch this program implode into disrepair, at a time when Purdue, Ohio St, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, etc are ALL on the come up. It will be unrecoverable 

The boosters didn't get them in trouble. Boosters are there to give money and be pushers of opinion. They're not responsible for the coach search and hire. You need a facility upgrade. Need buyout or new coach money... That's what they do. Impacting the decision, or giving the appearance of letting them impact things, is fine. AD is responsible though for the plan and output from the booster money.

8 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Damn, they're talking about Daryl Thomas in this doc and I'm getting tears in my eyes. 

Gone way, way too soon. 

It was raining a bit in my house at the end too when they showed BK's visit, and some of the guys talking about him.

You play two bigs who can't hit from greater than 5 ft out with two of our three guards that can't make an outside shot, or even get to the rim because bigs jam it up, it's not really a player problem....that's a coaching problem fans. And it's sad to watch.

They'll improve their skills as players, but the coach must understand what's the strength of each player he puts on the floor, and team up the weaknesses of one, with the strength of another. I don't think our coach understands that.

But what do I know, after 60 yrs following IU basketball, the coach has to know more than me.

I've fallen off the fence, it's time for a coach change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Damn, they're talking about Daryl Thomas in this doc and I'm getting tears in my eyes. 

Gone way, way too soon. 

Real dose of perspective after this game. Losing a winnable basketball game sucks. Losing anyone, let alone a legend like Daryl Thomas, at 52 sucks even more. Heavy stuff to process after getting so frustrated wondering how much worse things could be for this program right now.

Watching the Smart shot always takes me back to the vivid memory of place I was at, and people around me. I was in HS at a mall house party. I remember everyone on the couch, chairs, and floors just jumping up through the roof. 

I wanna go back lol. The only other sports game that sticks to my memory even close is the Reggie Miller performance were he scores several times in the final minute vs NYNs. 

Watching that documentary tonight was very nostalgic for me. That summer (1985) was right before my senior year in high school, which makes my freshman year at IU our NCAA title season. 

Thought it was very classy of Delray Brooks to appear. My high school was awful at basketball (we're a football school), but during my sophomore year, we played Michigan City Rogers and Delray when he was a senior. Rogers was ranked No. 1 in the state and I think might have been considered a top 5 team nationally. For the only time all season, our gym was packed -- because everyone wanted to see Delray.

And even though we'd probably have been a 20-plus point underdog -- we had them beat. Pretty much led the entire game, but stumbled at the end and lost in OT. Rogers didn't lose again until the state tournament -- I believe they were upset by eventual state champ Warsaw in the semistate. 

Got a little teary eyed seeing the guys talk about Daryl Thomas, and seeing Bob Knight at the end when he returned to AH really got the waterworks going. I don't think it's a secret that he's battling Alzheimer's/dementia. 

I lost my dad to that nearly four years ago. Tomorrow would've been his 90th birthday.

Phinissee simply can't be on the court.  It's been three years of waiting for him to 'get his confidence back'.  At some point....this is just what he is.  Tonight was the sixth time this season he failed to register a bucket.

Say what you want about Al -- he has good and bad games -- but Phin is the bigger issue.  Phin has bad games and games that are passable.  When you are happy when he's mediocre, something's wrong.

1 hour ago, colonel06 said:

After watching the “B1G Trip” following the game has just made me that much more disgusted.
This is not Indiana basketball what we just witnessed. There are no more excuses!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree.

One of the players in the documentary mentioned falling to 7th in the BT and how that wasn’t IU basketball but.....7th in the league is now aspirational for us (yes, I know it’s only year 4 and Archie inherited an unbelievably bad situation and dreamed of starting with  Kyle Tabor instead of Morgan) but we have inconceivably lost 5 out of 6 to RUTGERS....I’ll admit I can’t get over losing 5/6 to Rutgers. THE IU BASKETBALL PROGRAM has lost 5/6 to Rutgers.

I couldn’t have been more wrong about this hire. I thought Archie would do really well. Once again, I turned off the game after IU blew another double digit lead because I knew the end result. It’s pathetic that this is my stance as an IU fan

7 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I couldn’t have been more wrong about this hire. I thought Archie would do really well. Once again, I turned off the game after IU blew another double digit lead because I knew the end result. It’s pathetic that this is my stance as an IU fan

You weren’t alone as the national media was pretty much unanimous in giving us an “A” for the hire. That’s why I don’t blame Glass, like some others do, as he seemingly made a good hire according to those that are paid to pay attention to those things. 
That being said.... for the 4th year in a row we will not finish over .500 in the conference and have lost 5/6 to Rutgers.....Even Crean had us in the sweet 16 in year four after inheriting nothing....WTF

Just now, DChoosier said:

You weren’t alone as the national media was pretty much unanimous in giving us an “A” for the hire. That’s why I don’t blame Glass, like some others do, as he seemingly made a good hire according to those that are paid to pay attention to those things. 
That being said.... for the 4th year in a row we will not finish over .500 in the conference and have lost 5/6 to Rutgers.....Even Crean had us in the sweet 16 in year four after inheriting nothing....WTF

Well said. Those of us who were Archie supporters need to stop beating ourselves up for being "wrong," because there was no reason for anyone to think we were wrong at the time. Archie was THE hot coach and if we hadn't gotten him, some other big name school would have, and sadly, probably would've had more success with him than we've had, because whatever issues he's had sure haven't been unique to his tenure. He's not an aberration within 21st century IU basketball, he's the norm.

Among IU fans there's a quite a few folks whose whole schtick is saying I told you so, and that's a bad look. Unless you inexplicably had it out for Archie from the start (like some people seem to have), we all at the very least wanted him to succeed and make us as good as he possibly could, whatever his ceiling turned out to be. I just don't think any of us knew that ceiling would be so low.

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Crean inherited absolutely nothing. That’s what gets me the most about this crap. Archie didn’t have a bare cupboard when he arrived. He just hasn’t been able to put a consistent product on the floor. It’s maddening

3 hours ago, Vauxhall and IU said:

Well said. Those of us who were Archie supporters need to stop beating ourselves up for being "wrong," because there was no reason for anyone to think we were wrong at the time. Archie was THE hot coach and if we hadn't gotten him, some other big name school would have, and sadly, probably would've had more success with him than we've had, because whatever issues he's had sure haven't been unique to his tenure. He's not an aberration within 21st century IU basketball, he's the norm.

Among IU fans there's a quite a few folks whose whole schtick is saying I told you so, and that's a bad look. Unless you inexplicably had it out for Archie from the start (like some people seem to have), we all at the very least wanted him to succeed and make us as good as he possibly could, whatever his ceiling turned out to be. I just don't think any of us knew that ceiling would be so low.

You’re absolutely right. Archie probably would’ve killed at Ohio State just like Holtmann

5 hours ago, DChoosier said:

IIRC the national media thought Crean was a good coach too...

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I did not see Race's injury, but I do have exclusive footage of our practice yesterday. 

giphy.gif

I've seen more air balls this season than in all of at least 45 years total following this team. And most of them wide open looks.

Totally inexplicable!

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Watching the Smart shot always takes me back to the vivid memory of place I was at, and people around me. I was in HS at a mall house party. I remember everyone on the couch, chairs, and floors just jumping up through the roof. 

I wanna go back lol. The only other sports game that sticks to my memory even close is the Reggie Miller performance were he scores several times in the final minute vs NYNs. 

That smart shot is the first picture on my Iphone, ever.  Took it off the TV when I caught a replay of the game.  

Had the opportunity to meet Daryl Thomas when he was coaching at a kids tourney.  Showed it to him.   He loved it.  I'm sick, I know.  Where is that 12 step program?   :)  

6 hours ago, DChoosier said:

How many times do we have to hear Archie say that there’s nothing wrong with what they are doing, they just have to do it better. Slow starts have been a mainstay in his time, and lineups have rarely been adjusted. Shooting issues, free throws, lack of flow on offense. These have been issues every season, but his response has been to keep doing what they are doing. As has been mentioned many times, all the good coaches play to their players’ strengths. This is just sad...