Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PG - Aaliyah Guyton to Iowa

Brazil ends the tournament with a 4-2 overall record.  The Brazilians were beaten today 68-49 by Puerto Rico.  Guyton played 18 min. and scored 9 pts. on 2-11 FG; 2-7 on 3s; 3-4 FT.  She had 2 reb; 2 asst; 2 TO; 1 stl. 

For the 6 games in the tournment she shot 13-56 FG (23%); 11-30 on 3s (37%); 13-19 FT (68%).  She averaged 4 reb; 2 asst; 3 TO; 1 stl.   She just turned 15 in May and is starting her sophomore year of high school.  Remains to be seen if we ever take an active interest in her.

3 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Is there any reason to believe Moren is pursuing Guyton?

I try to follow women's recruiting which is so much more difficult than following the men and I've not see any evidence that we are.  She's just a sophomore so still lots of time.  To my knowledge Bradley is her only offer at this time.

Aaliyah is a candidate for the Peoria Journal Star's Athlete of the Week.

Guyton scored a team-high 22 points as the Lions captured the Limestone Thanksgiving Tournament title, 64-52 over Peoria Notre Dame last Wednesday. The 5-foot-7 sophomore guard put up another 22-point effort and added three steals in the semifinal victory over Dunlap. These two performances come off the heels of Guyton scoring 14 points with six assists and four steals against Pekin. She added 16 points, five assists and four steals against in a win over the host Rockets.

Aaliyah does not have an IU offer but I've tried to follow her season which has been next to impossible.  The Peoria Journal Star (a Gannett owned paper) has become about as useless for high school sports as the Indy Star.  Typically only provides details on a single game and sometimes only reports who won and not even a score.

Last night Aaliyah's team lost a double OT game to Peoria Notre Dame and all that's in the paper is pictures.  I did see on Twitter she scored 26 pts. in the loss.  

Following A. J. tweeting the link to the story in the above post, he had some queries about any IUWBB offers and these are his replies.

Thank you. Great kid, high ceiling. She’s 15, she will get better! No interest from IU, she’d consider I believe….

Afraid not, Illinois Sniffing though!

I complained about the lack of coverage on Aaliyah's season and today a second article from the Peoria Journal Star.  'Bout time.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2021/12/16/illinois-high-school-basketball-peoria-girls-team-ihsa-schedule-rankings/8906651002/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

No IU offer and I have no idea if we're even interested but I tried to follow her season which was basically an impossibility anyway.

Peoria High sophomore Aaliyah Guyton is the Big 12 Conference Player of the Year for girls basketball.

The 5-foot-8 combo guard helped lead the Lions to an undefeated Big 12 season, finishing 10-0. She averaged 20 points, 3.5 assists, 3 steals and 2 rebounds as Peoria High went 25-4 and ended the season ranked No. 3 by The Associated Press.

Peoria Notre Dame finished second at 9-1, while Normal Community went 8-2 for third. Richwoods was fourth at 7-3. Manual took 10th at 1-9.

5’8” … It’s good to see IU ladies basketball most recently getting some guards with size 6’0” and 6’1” not that there is not a place for a 5’8” guard if good enough.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Eww.  Good for her, but eww

Agree that it’s good for her.  

IU Ladies just need a couple of the recruits that are in the current group of visits.