Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PG - Aaliyah Guyton to Iowa

I don't know if she'll ever be actively recruited by IU or not but she should be.  These are posts about the young lady that appear in Random IUWBB Recruiting thread.   And FWIW, Stu's already the president of her fan club.

January 20:  No idea if this young lady will ever appear on the IU radar but it's a great story about Aaliyah Guyton, daughter of A. J. Guyton.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/2021/01/20/aaliyah-guyton-daughter-peoria-legend-might-next-big-thing/6619581002/

February 5:  Game story with commentary on Aaliyah Guyton's performance.  

https://illinois-basketball.com/gbk-peoria-richwoods/

February 20:  Chance to watch A. J. Guyton's daughter, Aaliyah.  Surely be better than what most of you watched earlier today.  She's #4.

•  

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't know if she'll ever be actively recruited by IU or not but she should be.  These are posts about the young lady that appear in Random IUWBB Recruiting thread.   And FWIW, Stu's already the president of her fan club.

January 20:  No idea if this young lady will ever appear on the IU radar but it's a great story about Aaliyah Guyton, daughter of A. J. Guyton.

https://www.pjstar.com/story/sports/2021/01/20/aaliyah-guyton-daughter-peoria-legend-might-next-big-thing/6619581002/

February 5:  Game story with commentary on Aaliyah Guyton's performance.  

https://illinois-basketball.com/gbk-peoria-richwoods/

February 20:  Chance to watch A. J. Guyton's daughter, Aaliyah.  Surely be better than what most of you watched earlier today.  She's #4.

•  

Rather than having any need to get a men's bball coach with IU ties, let's check that box by bringing young Ms. Guyton to Bloomington!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9f72fb7a-9f9c-4ef9-8133-58c6fa49636f#DZ6IJHgirV6.copy

I've watched two of her games and it's hard not to like her skills.  She's just a freshman and the starting PG for a very good Peoria girl's team.  She's very quick with good ball handling ability and great hands for getting steals and deflections.  Very much under control and doesn't try to force plays.

Last Friday, Peoria demolished Champaign Central 78-28.  None of the starters played at all in the 4th Q which was played under a running clock as the score at the end of the 3rd was 64-24.  The second unit for Peoria is not that much of a drop off from the starting 5.  For the game, Guyton had 12 pts; 4 reb; 4 asst; 6 stls; 2 TO.  

On Saturday, Peoria pounded Bloomington 71-48 and again the starters sat out the entire 4th Q.  Guyton with 12 pts; 5 reb; 6 asst; 3 stls; 0 TO.  For these 2 games she was 9-15 FG; 5-7 on 3s; 1-2 FT.  These margins of victory are due in large part to a suffocating full court defense that Peoria plays.  Really unusual to see in a boys or girls high school team.

Kudos to the Peoria coach.  Not once in either game did I see a Peoria player react to an official's call.  And when a ball when out of bounds it was invariably a Peoria player that retrieved it and handed it to an official.  A refreshing change.

I've watched two of her games and it's hard not to like her skills.  She's just a freshman and the starting PG for a very good Peoria girl's team.  She's very quick with good ball handling ability and great hands for getting steals and deflections.  Very much under control and doesn't try to force plays.
Last Friday, Peoria demolished Champaign Central 78-28.  None of the starters played at all in the 4th Q which was played under a running clock as the score at the end of the 3rd was 64-24.  The second unit for Peoria is not that much of a drop off from the starting 5.  For the game, Guyton had 12 pts; 4 reb; 4 asst; 6 stls; 2 TO.  
On Saturday, Peoria pounded Bloomington 71-48 and again the starters sat out the entire 4th Q.  Guyton with 12 pts; 5 reb; 6 asst; 3 stls; 0 TO.  For these 2 games she was 9-15 FG; 5-7 on 3s; 1-2 FT.  These margins of victory are due in large part to a suffocating full court defense that Peoria plays.  Really unusual to see in a boys or girls high school team.
Kudos to the Peoria coach.  Not once in either game did I see a Peoria player react to an official's call.  And when a ball when out of bounds it was invariably a Peoria player that retrieved it and handed it to an official.  A refreshing change.

It’s early, but I hope Coach Moren is watching her.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Can someone explain how this rule works with no tip-offs in Illinois shown in that video above? How do they determine who gets the inbounds to start the game? Is it coin-flip or always the away team? 

6 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Can someone explain how this rule works with no tip-offs in Illinois shown in that video above? How do they determine who gets the inbounds to start the game? Is it coin-flip or always the away team? 

In Illinois, the visitors get the first possession.  If it's a game at a neutral site, based on a coin toss.   More than you probably want to know at the link below.

https://www.ihsa.org/Resources/COVID-19#3085147-basketball

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

In Illinois, the visitors get the first possession.  If it's a game at a neutral site, based on a coin toss.   More than you probably want to know at the link below.

https://www.ihsa.org/Resources/COVID-19#3085147-basketball

Thanks! Safety first I guess, but seems a bit overboard to me. Not sure there's much difference between a tip off and in your face defense for 32 minutes.

Not sure what rule I hate more - this one or the runner on 2nd to begin the 10th inning. I'll go with the 10th inning rule as I don't watch much Illinois high school basketball beyond that video above.

A. J. Guyton  -  They are asleep on my baby girl!  Wait, they slept on me too!

2024 HG Aaliyah Guyton lead her team to a 4-0 record and 1st place at the AAU state championship in Rockford, IL. Aaliyah shows handle with either hand, quickness, burst and the ability to score at all 3 levels.

Congratulations to A. J.'s talented daughter.

Aaliyah Guyton @aguyton11

So excited about the opportunity to represent Brazil in the @fiba U16 Americas Women's championship! Thank you for the opportunity to make the team!

Brazil picked up its first win of the event with a 73-31 win over Costa Rica.  Guyton played 26 min. and scored 18 pts. on 5-8 FG; 4-5 on 3s; 4-5 FT.  She had 7 reb; 4 asst; 1 TO; 2 stls.  She was the leading scorer for Brazil and you can bet there's one  proud papa walking around tonight.

Tomorrow is an off day and games resume on Friday with Brazil's opponent to be determined.

This doesn't have anything to do with Aaliyah but it does pertain to the FIBA u16 tournament she's playing in for the Brazilian team.  USA currently playing Costa Rica and at the end of the 3rd Q leads 94-8 and has scored 52 unanswered points.

Final score 121-12 as the USA team advances to the semifinals.