Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

What Does IU Need to Do to Get in the NCAAs?

IU sits at 12-10, 7-8 in B1G with four regular season and at least one B1G tourney games left. We will have a top 5 SOS nationally.

Here is the question:

What do they need to do from here forward to get in the big boy tourney?

Waiting for Usps to weigh in. I’m thinking two out of five gets us in for sure. That would be two out of four and a loss in the tourney to a Maryland/PSU level team. I think two out of six is a coin flip. That’d be one out of the next four and a first round B1G win.

What say y’all?

Beat Michigan.

()

I agree with Stu; at least two wins. Of course some games will be more helpful than others, but just winning one won’t do it. I’ve never been able to justify a team with a losing record in the tournament, and IU there in the midst of a pandemic-altered season shouldn’t be an exception.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

IU sits at 12-10, 7-8 in B1G with four regular season and at least one B1G tourney games left. We will have a top 5 SOS nationally.

Here is the question:

What do they need to do from here forward to get in the big boy tourney?

Waiting for Usps to weigh in. I’m thinking two out of five gets us in for sure. That would be two out of four and a loss in the tourney to a Maryland/PSU level team. I think two out of six is a coin flip. That’d be one out of the next four and a first round B1G win.

What say y’all?

I was just going to update the bracketology thread on where things stand.  

problem is trying to figure out what the committee is going to do with the difference in non conference schedules.  I would say in a normal year if any team isn’t at least 4 games over .500 then the chances of an at large bid are slim.   But as we know this isn’t a normal year and if it was IU’s record would be closer to 16-10 instead of 12-10.   Top 5 schedule and playing in the historically most difficult conference league in any one year( it just passed the ACC conference from some years ago) according to Ken Pom.    I would say 2 more wins would be enough. Probably in the play in game.    If they finish above .500 they are going to right there at the end but I would at least try to stay 2 games over .500.   

usually I can give you guys a set number of games to win in the remaining games but I just don’t feel comfortable with the numbers this year. 

Every year there are teams along the cut line that are so unpredictable that you don’t know what you are getting each game.   Normally I love watching the chaos this causes and love seeing teams claw their way to a bid or fizzle out down the stretch.  Not as much fun when it’s your team you are invested in.    IU is very much one of these teams this year.    I will not be surprised if they lose by 30 to Michigan and I also won’t be surprised if they pull out the win against them 

4 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

I was just going to update the bracketology thread on where things stand.  

problem is trying to figure out what the committee is going to do with the difference in non conference schedules.  I would say in a normal year if any team isn’t at least 4 games over .500 then the chances of an at large bid are slim.   But as we know this isn’t a normal year and if it was IU’s record would be closer to 16-10 instead of 12-10.   Top 5 schedule and playing in the historically most difficult conference league in any one year( it just passed the ACC conference from some years ago) according to Ken Pom.    I would say 2 more wins would be enough. Probably in the play in game.    If they finish above .500 they are going to right there at the end but I would at least try to stay 2 games over .500.   

usually I can give you guys a set number of games to win in the remaining games but I just don’t feel comfortable with the numbers this year. 

Problem could be that being on the cut line sometimes means you get pushed out after conference tournaments get played.  One positive item is that there seems to be fewer teams from outside the power five that would make the tournament if they lose their conference tournament.  The Missouri Valley is worth watching if Loyala or Drake don't win their conference tournament -- Loyala is a lock for the dance, and Drake is probably in but they can't afford a bad loss.  Teams like Belmont and Winthrop have great records but limited low level non conference and a loss in their conference tournament is certainly a bad loss.  Belmont's 24-1 is impressive but their SOS is 328.

I hope we do not make it.  Force the hand of the powers that be.  He must go even if we must miss the hometown tourney.

It’s not going to force any hands until those hands are no longer obligated to fork over a fist full of cash

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Really tough schedule left.  I think three wins -- two conference and one BTT, or three conference twins -- would guarantee it.  Two wins and we're sitting and hoping.

I also think one regular season plus two BTT tournament wins doesn't guarantee it.  That would put us at 15-14 and I also don't think the committee values conference tournament games as highly as regular season for some reason.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I hope we do not make it.  Force the hand of the powers that be.  He must go even if we must miss the hometown tourney.

IMHO, you better get used to him being here next season, with or without making the tournament this season.  I don't see the change getting made this season given the financials.  

32 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

IMHO, you better get used to him being here next season, with or without making the tournament this season.  I don't see the change getting made this season given the financials.  

Fair enough.  Are you connected to the financials?  Or just guessing

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Fair enough.  Are you connected to the financials?  Or just guessing

I know the the buyout would be 100% if the remaining contract if terminated this year but 50% after March 31 of 2022.  Basically if terminated now, you are paying him $10 million not to coach.  After 2022, it’s about $3 million.  That difference if 7 million becomes significant because it would effect would you could pay someone to come here plus given covid there is a huge drop in $.  My guess is you are not going to see a lot of college coaches terminated early across the NCAA this year.

6 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I know the the buyout would be 100% if the remaining contract if terminated this year but 50% after March 31 of 2022.  Basically if terminated now, you are paying him $10 million not to coach.  After 2022, it’s about $3 million.  That difference if 7 million becomes significant because it would effect would you could pay someone to come here plus given covid there is a huge drop in $.  My guess is you are not going to see a lot of college coaches terminated early across the NCAA this year.

I understand that, but do you know the financials of Dolson's budget and booster involvement this year?  I feel like many posters are insisting that the money isn't there to pay for this without knowing the facts

6 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

If his next job deducts from the buyout we wouldn't be paying all of it anyway.  I don't believe for a second the administration would make a move this year regardless so I think COVID impacting revenue is just an easy cop-out.

As fans we can't really say for certain without knowing their real financial situation and they're not going to open the books to prove it.

51 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If his next job deducts from the buyout we wouldn't be paying all of it anyway.  I don't believe for a second the administration would make a move this year regardless so I think COVID impacting revenue is just an easy cop-out.

As fans we can't really say for certain without knowing their real financial situation and they're not going to open the books to prove it.

Financials can be FOIL'ed, the media does it all the time. I don't know how specific their records have to be as far as how revenues are brought in whether its donors, TV money, gate receipts, etc. I don't think the administration is making a move with a lame duck president; they'd rather wait for a new president and God willing he/she allows Dolson or whoever else to swing big instead of putting in another mid major guy into the $3 mil slotted for the IU basketball coach position.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I understand that, but do you know the financials of Dolson's budget and booster involvement this year?  I feel like many posters are insisting that the money isn't there to pay for this without knowing the facts

I think the Boosters are going to want to know who is a legit candidate to replace Archie before spending the extra money to buy him out this year. Might as well save ourselves $7 million by keeping him around next year. The fan base isn't magically going to reunite and hold hands, the crowds will still be reduced next season. Plus we'll get extra time to evaluate candidates this March and next March. 

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I think the Boosters are going to want to know who is a legit candidate to replace Archie before spending the extra money to buy him out this year. Might as well save ourselves $7 million by keeping him around next year. The fan base isn't magically going to reunite and hold hands, the crowds will still be reduced next season. Plus we'll get extra time to evaluate candidates this March and next March. 

I think the boosters are sick of Archie Miller basketball and are ready to move on now.  How much revenue will we lose by keeping him?  It's time