Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

IU vs Michigan St Game Thread - 12:00PM ET on ESPN

2 hours ago, Free Jurkin! said:

Everything about that 2018 class has hurt and really set Archie back. He inherited one recruiting class, which he couldn't do much about, and he has 3 of his own. The 2020 class looks like it will be very good. The 2019 class looks elite with TJD a top B10 player and Armaan looking like he could become one. But the 2018 class, which was one of the top classes in the country at the time, is a complete loss. Bad classes happen (just look at UK and Duke this year), but it couldn't be worse timing for Archie that it happened his first year.

Langford was fine, but everybody knew he wouldn't be contributing to long term success. So of the other four, Forrester and Anderson are gone, Hunter has terrible injury luck that has sapped what could have been, and Phinisee has never developed, and his problems are mostly related to confidence, not basketball knowledge or skill. What was supposed to be the foundational class to start the turnaround is a big zero. Some of that falls on Archie, but some of it is just bad luck with that class basically having the worst of all possible outcomes.

The 2018 class is a stain on how we look at everything. We say that Archie doesn't develop players, but I think pretty much everybody has gotten better, except for the 2018 class. We expect that by year 4 he should have a better team, but his first class contributed nothing to the rebuild and set them back.

You can't win without good guards, and Archie got zero between 2017 (where he had little choice) and 2018. Not getting to take McKinley Wright like he wanted to in 2017 was a killer too. However, It looks like he's gotten 4 solid to potentially very good guards between 2019 and 2020, so that's reason for optimism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good post. 

27 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Priller truly believes Archie is amazing. His knowledge of the game is very underwhelming. 

Archie kept him on scholarship when he provided the team absolutely nothing. I’d love Archie too if I was him, lol. 

46 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Using his platform to punch down at a high school kid? Stay classy, Dan.

A high school kid who’s a pretty decent football player from reports. If he decides to take his talents elsewhere this will likely be a reason why. And Dan Dakich had the gall to say IU fans eat their own. Anything to sell listens I guess. IU’s Skip Bayless with a more athletic track record. Shock jocking at its finest. Totally grossed out by this whole ordeal - I hope I’m not the only one who feels that way

13 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

A high school kid who’s a pretty decent football player from reports. If he decides to take his talents elsewhere this will likely be a reason why. And Dan Dakich had the gall to say IU fans eat their own. Anything to sell listens I guess. IU’s Skip Bayless with a more athletic track record. Shock jocking at its finest. Totally grossed out by this whole ordeal - I hope I’m not the only one who feels that way

If he decides not to come to IU because of something a 60 year old alum with zero present day affiliations with the IU football program or the university as a whole, he was never going to come here anyway. Dakich is a commentator who happens to be an IU alum at this point. 

I think the entire situation is ridiculous and only really an issue because everyone’s frustrated by this season. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If he decides not to come to IU because of something a 60 year old alum with zero present day affiliations with the IU football program or the university as a whole, he was never going to come here anyway. Dakich is a commentator who happens to be an IU alum at this point. 

I think the entire situation is ridiculous and only really an issue because everyone’s frustrated by this season. 

That's fair, but does he really need to take it to his radio show to put a 17 year old kid on blast further? Kid was just defending his brother for whatever perceived slight there was (admittedly I missed the comment about TJD getting his). He's the adult here and has a platform that Tayven doesn't have, so whatever he says on Monday to his listeners, Davis won't be given a chance to respond. Really hope a weekend will allow cooler heads to prevail, but knowing Dakich's history, I seriously doubt that happens.

5 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Priller truly believes Archie is amazing. His knowledge of the game is very underwhelming. 

Or he believes Dakich is an @$$.  You can believe that without 'thinking Archie is amazing'.  Not sure why you are trying to make this about Archie other than fitting a narrative.

6 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

That's fair, but does he really need to take it to his radio show to put a 17 year old kid on blast further? Kid was just defending his brother for whatever perceived slight there was (admittedly I missed the comment about TJD getting his). He's the adult here and has a platform that Tayven doesn't have, so whatever he says on Monday to his listeners, Davis won't be given a chance to respond. Really hope a weekend will allow cooler heads to prevail, but knowing Dakich's history, I seriously doubt that happens.

I think it depends on what Dakich says on his show. If he bashes the kid, mentions him by name, etc., then I think that’s way out of bounds. But I imagine it’ll be more of a general rant about families complaining about his commentating without mentioning TJD’s brother by name. 

I don’t blame his brother for sticking up for him. I’m just kind of surprised that it made him angry enough to tweet about it 7 hours after the game ended. Dan was pretty complimentary toward TJD throughout the game. I remembered the quote after people pointed out which one it was, but when he said it it never stood out to me. It probably would’ve been completely forgotten had his brother not tweeted.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think it depends on what Dakich says on his show. If he bashes the kid, mentions him by name, etc., then I think that’s way out of bounds. But I imagine it’ll be more of a general rant about families complaining about his commentating without mentioning TJD’s brother by name. 

I don’t blame his brother for sticking up for him. I’m just kind of surprised that it made him angry enough to tweet about it 7 hours after the game ended. Dan was pretty complimentary toward TJD throughout the game. I remembered the quote after people pointed out which one it was, but when he said it it never stood out to me. It probably would’ve been completely forgotten had his brother not tweeted.

I'm not a listener, but if you or someone could report back on what's discussed in regards to it, I'd be interested in hearing. You're probably right it's much to do about nothing and likely wouldn't have bothered me so much if I didn't spend 20 minutes chasing my 2 year old boxer around the neighborhood tonight after slipping his collar, but DD's critical comments about IU and IU bball specifically has bothered me for quite some time.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He did everything but call him out by name in his tweet -- the fervent IU fans certainly know who he is talking about and the kid knows he is talking about him -- so even if he doesn't call him out by name on his show, he's using a high school kid defending his brother as clickbait to get listeners.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He did everything but call him out by name in his tweet -- the fervent IU fans certainly know who he is talking about and the kid knows he is talking about him -- so even if he doesn't call him out by name on his show, he's using a high school kid defending his brother as clickbait to get listeners.

Dakich is in the business of saying/doing outrageous thinks to get listeners. I’m not a fan of his in the slightest, but this is a great draw. Talking about an IU player’s family member accusing him of “coming for everyone’s necks when he announces IU games” just a couple days after IU suffered an embarrassing loss is going to draw plenty of listeners. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Dakich is in the business of saying/doing outrageous thinks to get listeners. I’m not a fan of his in the slightest, but this is a great draw. Talking about an IU player’s family member accusing him of “coming for everyone’s necks when he announces IU games” just a couple days after IU suffered an embarrassing loss is going to draw plenty of listeners. 

Oh, I get that.  I just don't respect it.  As Jerry Sloan once said when asked if he would put up with all the antics of a Dennis Rodman to win if he were on his team, he said "I guess I don't need winning that bad".  Lots of guys do or say things that are out there to get attention, whether it be to gain an audience, make money, etc.    Doesn't make it correct, just makes it what it is.