Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: Minn at IU, Weds 9:00 on BTN

Hitting 6.3 on 18 attempts could have worked great a decade ago. 

I agreed with you that 8 was a better number. The thing is. I believe if you allow this team to start chucking, it will end in disaster. I also think you are right about the Archie style not working in modern ball. It’s this team though. What works with this team. It’s not chunking it from deep. No way.

2 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

It’s all great to want 10-12 3’s per game. What bothers me is how many shots it takes them to get that. In the end, it’s a team with a 35% avg. 17-20 attempts per game is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It’s really not, though. Say we go on the high end of your range. 20 threes a game puts you at 240th in the country out of 347. 17 a game puts you at 322nd. Teams are shooting tons of threes these days because coaches realize it’s efficient offense. 25/game doesn’t even put you in the top 50. 

You don’t have to shoot a ton of threes to succeed, but you better be elite at other aspects of the game if you don’t. We’re not. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s really not, though. Say we go on the high end of your range. 20 threes a game puts you at 240th in the country out of 347. 17 a game puts you at 322nd. Teams are shooting tons of threes these days because coaches realize it’s efficient offense. 25/game doesn’t even put you in the top 50. 

You don’t have to shoot a ton of threes to succeed, but you better be elite at other aspects of the game if you don’t. We’re not. 

Bingo. It would be different if we were elite at getting to the rim or elite at getting out on the break and forcing turnovers or elite at playing like sloths... But we aren't. 

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

There's no reason that Armaan isn't taking that many. He and Durham should be averaging about 16-18 threes combined. Durham should just be sitting in the corner and running off screens, catching and shooting ONLY. Phinisee needs to be taking about 5 per game. That passes what we do now with just 3 guys. Hunter needs to be the guy in the opposite corner on drives and shooting 5 a game. Leal needs to be shooting 3-5 a game. Race needs to be shooting at least 2 a game. The team just needs to shoot more. They pass up so many shots because they have to continue walking through their offensive sets. 

For real. 5 more three point attempts per game is nothing. We could easily do that if our guards stopped playing ring around the rosie for the first 25 seconds of the shot clock. We waste so much time aimlessly passing the ball back and forth at the three point line. 

32 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

Have they shot more than 20 in a game this year? What were the results? Win?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We’ve done it 6 times this year and went 5-1 in those games. The loss was on the road to Wisconsin. 

Generally agree, though last night they ran pick and pops for a Hunter 3 ball twice. It was nice.
That's all Hunter does. He isn't rolling ever and quite honestly I'm fine with that if he hits a decent % from 3.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

We’ve done it 6 times this year and went 5-1 in those games. The loss was on the road to Wisconsin. 

Interesting...Well, I have to admit the numbers tell a story there. I suppose I’m not terribly opposed to attempting more. They won’t, but it’s a sound theory.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I've been super busy lately (getting ready for our baby girl due in April) so I haven't been on here as much! I hope all at BTown Banners are doing well! Wanted to give a few thoughts about IU basketball. 

1) These next four games are crucial for me to buy into Archie Miller as being the right guy at IU. Michigan State is a must win Saturday. I don't have much faith against Michigan other than to hopefully be competitive. That leaves @ Rutgers and @ Purdue. For petes sake, beat Purdue. It is time. Archie is just as bad against Purdue as Harbaugh is against Ohio State. 

2) I'd like to see these things happen

• Win 3/4 four games to end the season (Michigan State and Purdue being must wins), win a couple Big Ten Tournament Games, and win your 1st Round NCAA Tournament game.  

I don't have much faith in all that happening, but I really want some momentum going into the 2021-2022 season. I really like this group of players that Indiana has. I think the culture has changed. The freshman/sophomore class seems really tight. If Trayce comes back next year (I'd lean yes), this could be a special group. Especially if Parker Stewart is the kind of player IU thinks he is. Problem is I don't have much faith in this coaching staff. 

I think I'm like most of you. I'm tired of being mediocre. I went about a month or so without watching IU play. I think the Northwestern game was the first one I've watched since the first Illinois game. I just hope this team can have a strong finish to the year. 

10 hours ago, rcs29 said:

That's all Hunter does. He isn't rolling ever and quite honestly I'm fine with that if he hits a decent % from 3.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

He's got a fadeaway jumper he likes to showcase at least once a night.

A bit in jest here, but I thought he played great Wednesday. Played decent at OSU relatively to the team and continued that into Minny. Hoping it's a sign of him figuring things out and accepting his role. His postgame comments about accepting his punishment and coming back with something to prove (paraphrasing) was nice to hear too.

8 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Playing that Montrezl Harrell spot on the baseline. 

In my opinion, it's not where Hunter will be very effective, but it's a necessary occasional place for him. Variety of where he initiates offense is very good for him getting better looks when he gets out to that left wing, hopefully for many more pick and pops or kicks off of a drive.

28 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I was referring to pick and roll/pop. He always pops

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Almost!  The link Stuhoo posted above shows the roll in the first half.  He does pop most of the time.  Hopefully, if they start bringing another defender to stop this he either rolls or hits a cutter.