Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: Minn at IU, Weds 9:00 on BTN

9:00 tonight on the BT of the N. Hoosiers need, check that... they NEED a win. So let's say our bball team goes on and does that.

A FEW GROUND RULES and fair warning:

Let loose and have fun, or scream in agony, but please stay on topic. FOR INSTANCE

• Acceptable "That was a great shot/pass/defensive stand/fart joke about Ricky Pitino!" "That was a terrible shot/pass/defensive stand/fart joke about Ricky Pitino/Kentucky marriage to one's cousin!"
  • Unacceptable "We missed more free throws? Let's fire the coach!" (wrong thread). "Poster (fill in blank) is a poopy-head and has been stealing my lunch money for years!" (Maybe true, maybe not. Work it out in private messages without peeing on the game thread.)

All kidding aside, calling crappy play out is fine, but failure to be reasonably in line with board rules and the nature of a game thread won't be okay. I'm confident paying attention to that will be a plus for all. Thanks

Oh, and win win win tonight.

IU basketball: Minnesota’s 7-foot star Liam Robbins questionable for Wednesday night

February 16, 2021 Mike Schumann IUBB 3

Minnesota hasn’t won a game all season away from its home court, and head coach Richard Pitino is 0-5 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The task of finally pulling off a road win on Wednesday night in Bloomington might be even taller than expected as the Golden Gophers tallest and most impactful frontcourt player is a game time decision.

Averaging 12.6 points and 7.1 rebounds, 7-foot center Liam Robbins has been one of the top post players in the Big Ten this season.

But Robbins is dealing with an ankle injury that slowed him down significantly in Minnesota’s last game at Maryland, and it could cost him the Indiana game altogether.

Robbins only played 18 minutes against the Terrapins on Sunday in part due to foul trouble, and he made just 1 of 8 shots, scored a season-low two points, and grabbed only three rebounds.  With their star big man hampered, the Golden Gophers struggled offensively in a 72-59 loss.

“He’s one of the best centers in the league,” Minnesota coach Richard Pitino told reporters on Tuesday. “We’re not better with him not on the court.”

Robbins is the Big Ten’s top shot blocker and the team’s top inside scoring presence.  The Golden Gophers do not have any other regular frontcourt players taller than 6-foot-9.  Without him, 6-foot-9 center Eric Curry (3.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg), and forwards Brandon Johnson (6-foot-8, 8.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Isaiah Ihnen (6-foot-9, 2.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg) would look to fill the void.

Even if Robbins plays, his impact on the game may be limited.  That was the case on Sunday at Maryland.

“[Robbins’] inability to guard ball screens or block shots hurt our team because he was hobbling and trying to fight through it,” Pitino said. “Obviously, whenever you play a guy who is hurt you make sure if you do play it can’t damage it further. It’s a sprained ankle. Just see what the pain tolerance is and how much he can go without hurting the team.”

Robbins has been a force in Minnesota’s biggest wins of the season.  The Drake transfer averaged 21 points, nine rebounds and 3½ blocks in four wins against ranked opponents, including Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa.

Like Indiana, Minnesota (13-8, 6-8) is battling for a spot in the NCAA Tournament.  The Golden Gophers cannot afford to stack up too many more losses, but they also don’t want to see Robbins make matters worse when it comes to his ankle.

“I know he wants to play,” Pitino said of Robbins. “We’re going to do what’s best for him and what’s best for the team.”

22 minutes ago, mamasa said:

IU basketball: Minnesota’s 7-foot star Liam Robbins questionable for Wednesday night

February 16, 2021 Mike Schumann IUBB 3

Minnesota hasn’t won a game all season away from its home court, and head coach Richard Pitino is 0-5 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The task of finally pulling off a road win on Wednesday night in Bloomington might be even taller than expected as the Golden Gophers tallest and most impactful frontcourt player is a game time decision.

Averaging 12.6 points and 7.1 rebounds, 7-foot center Liam Robbins has been one of the top post players in the Big Ten this season.

But Robbins is dealing with an ankle injury that slowed him down significantly in Minnesota’s last game at Maryland, and it could cost him the Indiana game altogether.

Robbins only played 18 minutes against the Terrapins on Sunday in part due to foul trouble, and he made just 1 of 8 shots, scored a season-low two points, and grabbed only three rebounds.  With their star big man hampered, the Golden Gophers struggled offensively in a 72-59 loss.

“He’s one of the best centers in the league,” Minnesota coach Richard Pitino told reporters on Tuesday. “We’re not better with him not on the court.”

Robbins is the Big Ten’s top shot blocker and the team’s top inside scoring presence.  The Golden Gophers do not have any other regular frontcourt players taller than 6-foot-9.  Without him, 6-foot-9 center Eric Curry (3.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg), and forwards Brandon Johnson (6-foot-8, 8.7 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Isaiah Ihnen (6-foot-9, 2.4 ppg, 3.2 rpg) would look to fill the void.

Even if Robbins plays, his impact on the game may be limited.  That was the case on Sunday at Maryland.

“[Robbins’] inability to guard ball screens or block shots hurt our team because he was hobbling and trying to fight through it,” Pitino said. “Obviously, whenever you play a guy who is hurt you make sure if you do play it can’t damage it further. It’s a sprained ankle. Just see what the pain tolerance is and how much he can go without hurting the team.”

Robbins has been a force in Minnesota’s biggest wins of the season.  The Drake transfer averaged 21 points, nine rebounds and 3½ blocks in four wins against ranked opponents, including Michigan, Ohio State and Iowa.

Like Indiana, Minnesota (13-8, 6-8) is battling for a spot in the NCAA Tournament.  The Golden Gophers cannot afford to stack up too many more losses, but they also don’t want to see Robbins make matters worse when it comes to his ankle.

“I know he wants to play,” Pitino said of Robbins. “We’re going to do what’s best for him and what’s best for the team.”

Makes me wonder why they played him against Maryland.

17 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Has Minnesota won a road game yet? If the answer is no then I have been a iu fan long enough to know how this ends. If answer is yes then we have a chance lol. Hopefully we get a starting lineup change

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Anything that hasn't happened yet always seems to happen to iu i have little doubt we will be hearing over and over again how Minnesota hasn't won on the road then ultimately seeing them celebrate on our court. Praying i am wrong

14 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Anything that hasn't happened yet always seems to happen to iu i have little doubt we will be hearing over and over again how Minnesota hasn't won on the road then ultimately seeing them celebrate on our court. Praying i am wrong

In the shooter's gym known as Assembly Hall, I'm sure their shooting percentage will be a few points higher than normal. That's rather concerning considering they like to shoot 3's, and we tend to let teams go off if they get hot. 

Eric Curry is their DeRon Davis: Was a big talent but his legs fell apart and there's not much left to him. If Robbins can't give them effective minutes they are a severely diminished interior defense team.

I wish Robbins's ankles future health, but it would be a major boost for IU if he can't go.

Article on Robbins' health/Curry.

https://www.twincities.com/2021/02/16/with-liam-robbins-hurt-gophers-have-savvy-eric-curry-ready-for-bigger-role-as-big-man/

Have to think as well that if Robbins doesn't go, Curry will still be limited minute wise given his history.  If Robbins DOES play but is slowed due to his injury, need to remember that he might be leading the nation in fouls -- he's committing 3.7 fpg in about 25 minutes of action -- and that a slowed Robbins probably will be foul prone.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Eric Curry is their DeRon Davis: Was a big talent but his legs fell apart and there's not much left to him. If Robbins can't give them effective minutes they are a severely diminished interior defense team.

I wish Robbins's ankles future health, but it would be a major boost for IU if he can't go.

In 528 minutes, Robbins has blocked 55 shots.  In 270 minutes, 6'9" Eric Curry has blocked.......1.  Curry is also a weak rebounder for his size.

I think if Robbins is a no go, they will probably play 20 minutes or so of small ball because Curry can't go very long.

Will try to catch the game tonight, first one line in quite some time. Being in the central time zone 8pm starts are iffy because the little kiddos get out to bed right at that time.

Really hope the Hoosiers will show up from start to finish!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners