Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB vs Michigan - 2/18/21 @ 6:00 on BTN

In a great back and forth game, our Hoosiers pull out a 70-65 win.  Really hard fought by IUWBB.

Mackenzie Holmes with a big takeaway under the Michigan basket with 29 sec. remaining then 2 crucial free throws from Berger with 25 remaining.  Then another defensive stop by Holmes with 17 sec. left.

Points:  Patberg 21; Berger 16; Gulbe 13; C-H 8; Holmes 6; Moore-McNeil 6.  All of Berger's points came in the 2nd half.

Reb: Gulbe 7; Holmes 5; Berger 4; Patberg 4 

Assists:  Berger 4; Patberg 3      Only 9 assists on 22 made FG

Shooting:    IU - 37% FG; 50% on 3s (9-18); 90% FT  (17-19)                  Michigan -  42% FG; 27% on 3s; 70% FT

Outrebounded 41-28            Last number I heard is that Michigan had 13 offensive rebounds.

We need Holmes to find her offensive game sooner rather than later.  2-8 tonight but her defensive play in the last 30 seconds of the game was crucial.

Well I said IU needed Holmes to be herself down the stretch to win. I just figured it would require key post points. However, the defensive plays she made in last 30 seconds were the clinchers. 

Most fun game I have watched this year by far and first true to-the-wire battle against a top team that went back and forth all game. This is the type of games we will see in the last couple rounds of Big Ten Tourney and second weekend of NCAA tourney so glad we had a back and forth war finally to prepare us for that.

Also, we shot the ball terrific both from the outside and FT line, and the rest of the starting lineup besides Holmes played top notch which is why we won. 

On a different note I think that Iowa reschedule is very timely for us. After that exhausting game team could use six days rest, especially against a solid Iowa team. 

I think I have a better feel for Big Ten now also. 

You have the top tier of Maryland, IU, OSU and Mich which are a level above the rest. IU is 1-2 against these teams.

You have a second tier of NW, Iowa and MSU who are tourney teams but not elite. IU is 3-0 against these teams

You have a third tier of two WTF teams for different reasons. Nebraska because they have beaten some of the best teams, but then turn around and lose to all the bottom feeders and as a result will probably miss tourney. Then you have Rutgers who has been good when they play but took 6 weeks to get a COVID outbreak under control so they have played very few games. IU is 1-0 against these teams.

The final tier of teams are the bottom feeders and are truely garbage in Minny, PSU, PU, Wiscy and Illinois. IU is 7-0 against these teams.

Our remaining schedule consists of @Wiscy in tier 4, @OSU in tier 1, Iowa in tier 2 and PU in tier 4. Also, outside chance of a reschedule against Tier 3 Rutgers and Tier 2 @MSU.

Should not lose more than one but if we win out we might get a Big Ten Title but are in terrific shape now to finish at least second assuming we win the games we should (everyone but OSU). 

Excellent result out of Big Ten for multiple reasons.

Michigan beat Ohio State so this means we lock up at least third place just going 3-1 down stretch even if we lose to the Buckeyes again. We are two games clear of fourth place!

Being second or third in league is huge so we avoid Maryland till conference tournament final which is massive. As it stands and is very likely to happen, we would play Michigan in Semi's which is a hundred times better and it gives us a real shot at the title game for first time since 2001 when we won it (and this time we don't need to win it to make NCAA's obviously).

Also our win over Michigan will continue to boost our resume as we are still one of two teams to hand them a loss this season.