Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bowhunter

BBall Non-Coaching Program Improvements

Their last two quarters they saw stock rise 14% and then 28% as their financials came out very well, but yes, they certainly bled for quite a while.
My point was more about not looking for just a safe steady stream of money and rather looking for a company that would design something that pops.....not for us die hard fans, but to grab the attention of the youth market.  A lot of uniforms that we find hideous (i.e., most of Oregons) seem to have the exact opposite effect. 

Oregon is not just a Nike school, they are THE Nike school. The founder of Nike (Phil knight) is an Oregon alum. They don’t have a deal with under armor and never have.

Phil knight is a major reason the Oregon football program has become what it is because of the relationship between Nike and the school.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oregon is not just a Nike school, they are THE Nike school. The founder of Nike (Phil knight) is an Oregon alum. They don’t have a deal with under armor and never have.

Phil knight is a major reason the Oregon football program has become what it is because of the relationship between Nike and the school.

Edit: you may be thinking of UCLA who signed a large deal with under armour. But that deal
Was broken last spring since under armour is struggling so much

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

**** it, go Under Armour.  Growing brand....huge stock market jumps in the last six months.  Let them design alternate uniforms for us.

Oregon signed a record deal with Under Armour back in 2014.  And while a lot of us old guys roll our eyes at the uniforms they have, high school and college players LOVE them.  I'm going to watch IU regardless of their uniform.....but maybe it's time we did something different to draw some attention to the younger generation.

Are you thinking of the record deal UA signed with UCLA in 2016 for $280 million? Oregon has always been a Nike school.

Love this topic. Obviously winning cures all, but some changes could improve national recruiting which could lead to more winning. I'll probably reiterate what many have said, but this is my list: 

- Keep AH. It's awesome IMO. OSU's gym is so so so boring and quiet 75% of the time, plus it has no history. Do something with the rafters, however. Unless we're a top 25 team or playing a top 5 team, those seats are not worth it to most fans. 

- Hip Hop music instead of the band for warmups. Might be a cold take, and although I enjoy the band, it seems like our student section is not as hype to start the games as other schools potentially. 

- Alternate uniforms. Doesn't have to be crazy. I am a big fan of the script logo. A blackout jersey could be cool / unique too. 

- Modernize the candy stripes. If we were the #1 team in the country, candy stripes would be cool. However, I feel they need slight modernizations such as being cheaper and having the jogger-like bottoms near the ankle. 

- We have to play more in the "grey area" in recruiting. Although we don't have to take on a Kentucky like approach, our compliance office should work with our coaches and boosters, not against them. Think UPS made a great point here with Mason Miller's recruitment vs. Creighton. 

- Beer at games. I think it's gonna be a thing soon / was changed last year for football? Still would help I believe. 

- Students behind baskets 100%. Not the band. Not boosters. Students. 

- Better halftime / game break action. Martha the Mop lady is cool. The graphic stating "I'm ___ (Oladipo, Zeller, etc.) and I'm a Hoosier" is cool. But geez, some of the stuff is so boring, such as the gift cards being sent down from the rafters or the tires racing on the big screen. Instead, possibly, have fans cheer and cheerleaders hand out pizza and coke or something. Anything to improve the "customer" experience. Maybe a fan free throw contest or something every couple of home games? There's a ton they could do. 

- I love love love the idea of switching to Nike / Jordan, not UA though. I firmly believe some recruits don't want to go to an Adidas basketball school. Plus I like the gear of Nike/Jordan more. This won't happen, but I think it'd help our "sex appeal." 

- This won't happen either, but I love how Atlanta's new football stadium (Mercedez Dome) pledges cheap prices. I think post-covid this would be a great incentive to get people into the arena. $1 hot dogs? $1 fountain drinks? $2 soft pretzels? That's awesome, and families could feed their kids for cheap at games. 

You know I don’t think we necessarily need to worry about a new stadium.  Cameron indoor stadium ( tech and amenities wise)is really not that special when you take the crowd out of it.  I walk around it (inside and out) from time to time.  The reality of it is that we don’t cheat or we really have an over the top compliance office.  If that’s a line we need to break thats should be up for discussion but from working with both UNC, DUKE,  and experiencing IU for undergrad and a graduate degree........ I can definitely see a difference on how each administration thinks about “bending the rules”.     

1 hour ago, HoosierDYT said:

Love this topic. Obviously winning cures all, but some changes could improve national recruiting which could lead to more winning. I'll probably reiterate what many have said, but this is my list: 

- Keep AH. It's awesome IMO. OSU's gym is so so so boring and quiet 75% of the time, plus it has no history. Do something with the rafters, however. Unless we're a top 25 team or playing a top 5 team, those seats are not worth it to most fans. 

- Hip Hop music instead of the band for warmups. Might be a cold take, and although I enjoy the band, it seems like our student section is not as hype to start the games as other schools potentially. 

- Alternate uniforms. Doesn't have to be crazy. I am a big fan of the script logo. A blackout jersey could be cool / unique too. 

- Modernize the candy stripes. If we were the #1 team in the country, candy stripes would be cool. However, I feel they need slight modernizations such as being cheaper and having the jogger-like bottoms near the ankle. 

- We have to play more in the "grey area" in recruiting. Although we don't have to take on a Kentucky like approach, our compliance office should work with our coaches and boosters, not against them. Think UPS made a great point here with Mason Miller's recruitment vs. Creighton. 

- Beer at games. I think it's gonna be a thing soon / was changed last year for football? Still would help I believe. 

- Better halftime / game break action. Martha the Mop lady is cool. The graphic stating "I'm ___ (Oladipo, Zeller, etc.) and I'm a Hoosier" is cool. But geez, some of the stuff is so boring, such as the gift cards being sent down from the rafters or the tires racing on the big screen. Instead, possibly, have fans cheer and cheerleaders hand out pizza and coke or something. Anything to improve the "customer" experience. Maybe a fan free throw contest or something every couple of home games? There's a ton they could do. 

- I love love love the idea of switching to Nike / Jordan, not UA though. I firmly believe some recruits don't want to go to an Adidas basketball school. Plus I like the gear of Nike/Jordan more. This won't happen, but I think it'd help our "sex appeal." 

- This won't happen either, but I love how Atlanta's new football stadium (Mercedez Dome) pledges cheap prices. I think post-covid this would be a great incentive to get people into the arena. $1 hot dogs? $1 fountain drinks? $2 soft pretzels? That's awesome, and families could feed their kids for cheap at games. 

Love the ideas.  

17 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

Personally think this is far and away the most important step that can and should be taken in some form -- compliance is supposed to work with the athletics / basketball program to "comply" within the rules, it is not supposed to act as a gotcha mechanism but that is what IU's does since Sampsongate. The U swung the pendalum too far in the direction of compliance in reaction to Sampsongate, to the point where compliance does not assist the program it hinders it. Not in any way advocating any form of dirty recruiting, our clean history (Sampson's over-stated phone violations not withstanding) is part of what makes IU a genuine great historical program, but you can't compete without a level playing field and our compliance program limits how the program can recruit. It is acting against its real purpose.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Personally think this is far and away the most important step that can and should be taken in some form -- compliance is supposed to work with the athletics / basketball program to "comply" within the rules, it is not supposed to act as a gotcha mechanism but that is what IU's does since Sampsongate. The U swung the pendalum too far in the direction of compliance in reaction to Sampsongate, to the point where compliance does not assist the program it hinders it. Not in any way advocating any form of dirty recruiting, our clean history (Sampson's over-stated phone violations not withstanding) is part of what makes IU a genuine great historical program, but you can't compete without a level playing field and our compliance program limits how the program can recruit. It is acting against its real purpose.

I completely agree. And I really believe we are a top 5 "clean" team/brand in the country. IDK who else would even be in consideration? But this reason - imo - is the #1 reason for why our coaching position is not as appealing as it should be. I still think we're a top 3 job in the Big 10, probably #1, but whether it's Archie or a new coach, he won't be playing with a full deck of cards. 

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Can any of you provide concrete examples of supposed "compliance" restrictions that put us at a disadvantage vs other programs?  It's like "Big Foot" -- we hear about it, but never see it.  

46 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Can any of you provide concrete examples of supposed "compliance" restrictions that put us at a disadvantage vs other programs?  It's like "Big Foot" -- we hear about it, but never see it.  

USPS mentioned something with the Mason Miller recruitment.  Creighton brought him on campus for a final visit while IU compliance didn't allow it or placed a barrier of some sort.

And for the record, IU wasn't squeaky clean under any of the previous coaches.  There were things going on away from the program where families were "assisted" in different areas.  It didn't make headlines and was being done by a lot of programs.  You can look at it how you want.  I doubt there are any truly "clean" programs in the country and most of it is shades of gray.

13 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

And for the record, IU wasn't squeaky clean under any of the previous coaches.  There were things going on away from the program where families were "assisted" in different areas.  It didn't make headlines and was being done by a lot of programs.  You can look at it how you want.  I doubt there are any truly "clean" programs in the country and most of it is shades of gray.

the one example i can think of where (Aloha's look-alike) Crean didn't run a "squeaky clean" recruiting plan is where he blew some recruits bathroom up while on a visit

17 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

USPS mentioned something with the Mason Miller recruitment.  Creighton brought him on campus for a final visit while IU compliance didn't allow it or placed a barrier of some sort.

Me thinking a better offense would make a difference is silly then?   

Good post!

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Since we were talking about jerseys, what do folks think about these? I think they’re pretty cool. 

No to the one on the right. 

Second from right isn't terrible but looks more like something the soccer team would wear.  The IU looks like something you'd find etched in stone at the Bloomington campus.

The middle two are BADASS!

The two on the left look pretty much like what they wear now with the lettering being a slightly different font and a larger IU on the shorts.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Since we were talking about jerseys, what do folks think about these? I think they’re pretty cool. 

The only good alternates I’ve seen. I was also a huge fan of our black history month alternate we wore last year or the year before. 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:42 AM, Golfman25 said:

It does seem that IU is much more strict about admittance into the school of some players now.  I don't think we are likely to see many DeAndre Thomas and Jamurcus Ellis at IU any more.