Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game thread: 2/13 IU @ #4 OSU, Noon ESPN

NOTES: Hoosiers Visit No. 4/5 Ohio State Saturday at Noon

Story Links

INDIANA GAME NOTES (PDF)

OHIO STATE GAME NOTES

LIVE STATS

LISTEN VIA TUNEIN

DIGITAL GAME PROGRAM

OPENING TIP

Indiana University is in its 121st season of competition in men's basketball and opens the doors of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for the 50th season. The Hoosiers will visit Ohio State on Saturday looking to extend a two-game winning streak after winning 79-76 on the road at Northwestern on Wednesday night. After missing its first 6 free throws IU finished the game making 20 of 21 from the line in overtime and in the final minute of regulation. IU has won 5 of its last 6 against AP top 10 teams since 2019.

GAME INFORMATION

Indiana (11-8, 6-6 B1G) at #4/5 Ohio State (16-5, 10-4 B1G)

Saturday, Feb. 13 • Noon ET

Value City Arena • Columbus, Ohio

TV: ESPN (Dan Shulman and Jay Bilas)

Radio: IU Radio Network (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr, Joe Smith) | TuneIn

Series History: Indiana leads, 108-86

Last Meeting: at OSU 68, IU 59; 2/1/20

THE COACHES

Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his fourth season of guiding the Cream and Crimson and is 66-51 with the Hoosiers and earned career win 200 against Penn State. He is 205-113 in 9+ years as a head coach, which includes 6 years at the University of Dayton. His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014. Ohio State is led by Chris Holtmann who is in his 4th year in Columbus and is 82-38.

JACKSON-DAVIS LOOKING FOR POSTSEASON HONORS

Sophomore forward Trayce Jackson-Davis ranks among B1G leaders in scoring, rebounds, field goal percentage and blocked shots. With 10 points and 14 rebounds, he is in the midst of his second three-game double-double streak of the season. He has twice been named Big Ten Player of the Week. His most dominant performance this season was a 25-point, 17-rebound effort at Florida State. He had a career-high 31 points in the win over Stanford in the 3rd place game at Maui. He had 23 points at Iowa and had 19 points and 14 boards against Illinois. He followed that up with 17 points and 12 boards against the Hawkeyes on Sunday. He was named a second-team Mid-Season All-American by Dick Vitale and The Sporting News and was named to the Wooden Award Mid-Season Watch List. He has had 20 career double-doubles. The Hoosiers are 16-4 when he reaches that milestone. He is averaging 19.4 points, 9.4 rebounds while shooting 52.0% from the floor and a team-high 32 blocks this season. He is the only Hoosier in the last 25 years to have 3 games of 25 points and 15 rebounds (at Minnesota, Nebraska). He is 3rd in the nation FTs made (106) and 2nd in FT attempts (161). Both lead the Big Ten.

ODDS AND TRENDS

IU has played a national-high 5 overtime games this season (2-3), the most since they played 6 in 1998-99. IU has won 3 Big Ten road games this season after winning just 2 a year ago. The Hoosiers also have 3 neutral site home games and are scheduled to play just 12 home games and 15 games away from Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall this season. The Hoosiers have made 36 of their last 88 3FG attempts (40.9) in the last 5 games. Senior Aljami Durham has made 24 of 27 free throws in the last 2 games. IU held the nation's second best offense, Iowa, (87.8) to 69 and 65 points in their two meetings. Freshman Jordan Geronimo has made 10 of his last 14 field goal attempts (6 games). Against Providence, Texas, Stanford, Florida State and Butler, the IU defense held those 5 top 37.4% shooting from the field and 31.7% accuracy from long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I give up. I admit that at this point I have no idea what to expect. I hate noon starts, no matter the sport. I hope we continue our recent trend of fighting to the very end. If that happens, I can live with the outcome.

49 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

IU has won 5 of its last 6 against AP top 10 teams since 2019..

Awesome, a weird stat. Will they get up for this game?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

31 minutes ago, Josh said:

This feels so weird to say, but I won't be watching the game today.  I won't be recording it either.  It's a beautiful day and I already know how this game will go.  It doesn't bring me joy anymore.

Fire Archie

41 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Yeah I don’t see us winning this game. And no, this game doesn’t make it break our season folks. 

Road game vs a GREAT team. If we keep it close and or win then wow! 

I agree.

Losing to Northwestern would have looked bad, from a tourney perspective, but losing to #4 team on the road won’t cause tourney damage (but would obviously help our resume). Split the last 6 and we are a shoo-in for the dance.

49 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

IU has won 5 of its last 6 against AP top 10 teams since 2019..

Awesome, a weird stat. Will they get up for this game?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That is a weird stat.

5-1 vs top 10 teams since 2019 but since the beginning of 2019 we are 21-29 in regular season conference games. You’d think a team that good against the top 10 would have a conference record around 35-15 or so during that time frame.

In any case....a win today would be huge but a loss really shouldn’t have much of an impact if we take care of business in the upcoming games.

This feels so weird to say, but I won't be watching the game today.  I won't be recording it either.  It's a beautiful day and I already know how this game will go.  It doesn't bring me joy anymore.
Fire Archie
That is sad. I'll continue to follow my dad's advice "support and watch your team win or lose".

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Fire Archie

I didn’t plan on it because I thought I would be busy but my schedule freed up. And I’m not going to. I have so many other things to get done.  

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Only works when you actually get some good times. I’m 34 and can barely remember a time when we were nationally relevant. 

That's one way to look at it. 

The other, feel the bad so when the program is good again you can appreciate it.  It's easy to just not tune into the games now and say you don't care.  That's fine but it's not for me.  When the program is good again and one has actually endured the bad, they'll be much more appreciative.  They'll also understand how quickly it can be taken away.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do or how they should feel.  It's just easy to be on board when things are good and jump off when things are bad.  That's not how I'm wired.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's one way to look at it. 

The other, feel the bad so when the program is good again you can appreciate it.  It's easy to just not tune into the games now and say you don't care.  That's fine but it's not for me.  When the program is good again and one has actually endured the bad, they'll be much more appreciative.  They'll also understand how quickly it can be taken away.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do or how they should feel.  It's just easy to be on board when things are good and jump off when things are bad.  That's not how I'm wired.

If I didn’t care I wouldn’t be posting here.  But I get precious little free time.  I can read a book or watch bad basketball.  I’m going to choose the book. If my choice was good basketball or a book I would choose basketball