Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 2/10 IU @ NW 5:30 pm BTN

Not when a macro issue is free throw shooting? That has nothing to do with in-game coaching. Literally nothing. 
And i am going to give Archie praise when he deserves it, and last night at the end of the game he deserves it. Not for what he has done the four years as a whole.
NOBODY but you has said we are excited! nobody. This was brought up because people were saying Collins outcoached Archie, when that couldn't be farther from the freaking truth. Just baffling how biased people are. 
Collins did not out coach and I never said that. I was just commenting the "Archie put on a clinic" talk.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Yes that was another well designed play to get an easy basket when it was needed. 

The Rob issue is twofold, he seems to really play well at the end of games even when he is struggling. So I personally don't know what I would do in that situation. But I agree he doesn't deserve the minutes he got last night or has been getting. 

Yeah, he has been pretty solid at the end of the games, including hitting the huge 3 against Iowa. And he hit some big FTs last night. 

I guess it's just one where you have to somewhat trust the coaching staff that what he provides from a defensive leadership perspective makes up for what he costs on offense. It's hard to analyze as a fan because it's so much easier to quantify offensive production than defense.

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Collins did not out coach and I never said that. I was just commenting the "Archie put on a clinic" talk.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

No you did not, but another poster said "Collins could coach Archie into the fetal position." That's when I went off. 

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Ok I didn’t say you couldn’t call it out.   Keep calling it out.   
IU’s first win at Northwestern since 2014 

I will always remember Crean's final game at Northwestern as the infamous "holding up signs" game. That was the lowest point and most embarrassed I think I felt of his tenure. This game wasn't much prettier, but will take the W.

14 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

How in the **** did we win that game?!

I was in an interview and watching out of the corner of my eye. Really hope to be able to watch the ending of that game.

From the box score, Al and Armaan carried us. How did Race and Trayce not dominate that front line?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A great place to go to rewatch games is Matthew Loves Ball on YouTube. He has condensed versions that are around 20-25 mins. The game from last night is on there. Enjoy 

3 minutes ago, VO5 said:

A great place to go to rewatch games is Matthew Loves Ball on YouTube. He has condensed versions that are around 20-25 mins. The game from last night is on there. Enjoy 

The "basketball in 60" is currently on BTN.  They showed the first few minutes then jumped to about 15 minutes left in the 2nd.  It might be the best decision BTN has ever made.  Thanks for the heads up tho.  I'll mark it so I can watch other games there.

1 hour ago, rcs29 said:

Al and Jerome's shots were about players making plays. There was nothing schematic about the 2 most important shots in the critical moments. I didn't think AM was bad last night but he sure wasn't good either. I'd say mediocre.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Would you then agree that Race, Trayce, Rob, Lander, Geronimo, Hunter, and Galloway clanking everything they thought about "shooting" in the first half was about players not making plays?  They were getting good looks but looked like struggled trying to put the ball in the hole.

Edit:  removed comment that would offend some although it is a common phrase amongst the military

Would you then agree that Race, Trayce, Rob, Lander, Geronimo, Hunter, and Galloway clanking everything they thought about "shooting" in the first half was about players not making plays?  They were getting good looks but looked like struggled trying to put the ball in the hole.
Edit:  removed comment that would offend some although it is a common phrase amongst the military

You have me wondering what the phrase was. I can think of so many.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

You have me wondering what the phrase was. I can think of so many. emoji38.png

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

monkey ******* a football

One of the funniest scenes I've witnessed in my life was a Navy LT teammate humping a warhead (of the special variety) during a test in school.  The instructor asked what he was doing and he replied "I don't have a football so..."

Yes in many instances players do not make the plays. Don't think I've ever suggested otherwise. There are equal or more times the offense we run gets us nothing but an awful look. When we do get good looks we need to capitalize but we also need a lot less bad looks.

7 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Yes in many instances players do not make the plays. Don't think I've ever suggested otherwise. There are equal or more times the offense we run gets us nothing but an awful look. When we do get good looks we need to capitalize but we also need a lot less bad looks.

I never said you did, was just asking.

There seems to be a trend of players just going through the motions and being okay with it.  A set that looks horrible at the speed its run would probably look a lot different at a level or two higher.  My biggest complaint with Archie hasn't been with offensive sets or 6+ minute droughts.  It's been his inability to get his teams to play at a consistently high effort level.  I would bet that has cost them more game than bad offensive sets.  Consistently high effort level includes focus, as I think a lot of our free throw issues are 1) mental and 2) practice.

15 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I'm admittedly too lazy to go back and read this thread, but people are enamored with Collins? I said after we lost at home to NW that anyone who mentioned Collins as a possible candidate should be disqualified from posting in the coaching candidate thread. I'm puffing my chest out and saying that even more strongly through the interwebs now. 

I was an advocate for Collins both in 2017 and in late December and am certainly eating crow for it at this point.  I still believe the idea made sense at both times as he is the only coach to ever take NW to the tournament and nearly beat eventual runner-up Gonzaga in the second round in 2017 and also has the highest win percentage at NW since a guy named Dutch Lonborg who started coaching there in the 1920’s.  Plus six weeks ago he had his team in the top 20 and seemed to be building his roster back up after a couple of down seasons with multiple guys ranked in the top 80-150.  However, it appears things have gone downhill quickly there and they consistently falter in close games.  Barring a massive turnaround I would no longer put him on any coaching lists of mine.

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

I guess you have to be careful how you type in Matthew Loves Ball on YouTube .... ;)

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

The goaltend call against Trayce in the second half was a bad call.  If you watch closely the ball speeds up to hit the backboard after Trayce makes contact.  That doesn't happen if it's coming off the backboard.

Agree and that was visible immediately after the call on the replay.

Read through this thread this morning and watched the game afterwards. I must say that while watching I was pretty confident we would pull this one out. I really don't understand what all the angst was about.

Lol is this for real? I never felt like we were done or anything but in what world were you confident we were going to win a game we literally trailed the entire game. It took two over times a couple gigantic shots and a miraculous improvement from the free throw line to pull it out. I had to listen to most of regulation and don and eric were not sounding optimistic at all not sure what made you so confident? Also throw in our track record of losing games that go exactly like this one lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk