Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 2/10 IU @ NW 5:30 pm BTN

How in the **** did we win that game?!

I was in an interview and watching out of the corner of my eye. Really hope to be able to watch the ending of that game.

From the box score, Al and Armaan carried us. How did Race and Trayce not dominate that front line?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

How did the interview go? If people would be watching me watch these games they would worry about my well being. I was pretending to watch a show with my wife while I had this game on my phone. When Al hit the second shot to tie it I let out a little whoop and was caught.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

How did the interview go? If people would be watching me watch these games they would worry about my well being. I was pretending to watch a show with my wife while I had this game on my phone. When Al hit the second shot to tie it I let out a little whoop and was caught.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Interview went well, not of the job variety but a crazy cool new class here at IU. I have my TV setup at about 45 degree angle from my desk so they could definitely see me watching something.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

4 years ago, someone who was pretty plugged in at the time shared with me that Collins was one of our top targets to replace Crean. It would make sense that our administration would look at someone like him, given the duds we've hired post-Knight. 

Collins can coach Archie into the fetal position covered in tears. What he can’t do is recruit at a level high enough to continuously complete in the BigTen. Would that change if he came to Bloomington? I really don’t know but he took thee cellar dweller program of the conference and made them competitive even with budget bin recruits. You give this team to a Chris Collins or Matt Painter and it would be top 10 in the country and it wouldn’t have the gaps in shooting and 7 footers we currently “enjoy”.

Point is, it’s not right to call a guy a dud when he can’t serve you caviar and fillet because he works at McDonald’s 

9 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Collins can coach Archie into the fetal position covered in tears. What he can’t do is recruit at a level high enough to continuously complete in the BigTen. Would that change if he came to Bloomington? I really don’t know but he took thee cellar dweller program of the conference and made them competitive even with budget bin recruits. You give this team to a Chris Collins or Matt Painter and it would be top 10 in the country and it wouldn’t have the gaps in shooting and 7 footers we currently “enjoy”.

Point is, it’s not right to call a guy a dud when he can’t serve you caviar and fillet because he works at McDonald’s 

I actually think you have it backwards with regard to Collins. He has I think 5 top 150 guys on his roster (Nance and Kopp both in top 100) and Audige who was a pretty highly sought after transfer. He has the talent, he just can't coach a team to win close games. They showed it last year and again this year. Heck his best team failed to make the tournament and flopped majorly in a terrible big ten. 

Archie has been disappointing, but his coaching down the stretch last night was actually about as good as it gets. This team got open look after open look at the end of the game and out of time outs. Northwestern did not. I will agree with Chris007 on this one. 

I actually think you have it backwards with regard to Collins. He has I think 5 top 150 guys on his roster (Nance and Kopp both in top 100) and Audige who was a pretty highly sought after transfer. He has the talent, he just can't coach a team to win close games. They showed it last year and again this year. Heck his best team failed to make the tournament and flopped majorly in a terrible big ten. 
Archie has been disappointing, but his coaching down the stretch last night was actually about as good as it gets. This team got open look after open look at the end of the game and out of time outs. Northwestern did not. I will agree with Chris007 on this one. 
Al and Jerome's shots were about players making plays. There was nothing schematic about the 2 most important shots in the critical moments. I didn't think AM was bad last night but he sure wasn't good either. I'd say mediocre.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

Al and Jerome's shots were about players making plays. There was nothing schematic about the 2 most important shots in the critical moments. I didn't think AM was bad last night but he sure wasn't good either. I'd say mediocre.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Al was wide open until Armaan fumbled the ball. Great play design knowing that Armaan was going to get doubled and a fake ball screen would leave Al wide open. So disagree with you majorly there.

Armaan had a wide open three out of a time out in the first over time coming off a pin down. Go back and look. 

Northwestern didn't get a shot off at the end of regulation because IU correctly fouled three times with fouls to give and then got a turnover. That's end of the game coaching.

IU correctly fouled up three with time running out in the second overtime. 

Please take off your Archie hating glasses and realize his end game coaching was actually really good. 

Al was wide open until Armaan fumbled the ball. Great play design knowing that Armaan was going to get doubled and a fake ball screen would leave Al wide open. So disagree with you majorly there.
Armaan had a wide open three out of a time out in the first over time coming off a pin down. Go back and look. 
Northwestern didn't get a shot off at the end of regulation because IU correctly fouled three times with fouls to give and then got a turnover. That's end of the game coaching.
Please take off your Archie hating glasses and realize his end game coaching was actually really good. 

This. People can acknowledge a coach has done a good job in a game and still think because he hasn't done a very good job overall and needs fired.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And he also called a TO when they didn't have one giving them the chance to get something setup. I don't hate Archie, I just don't think he's that good. I also said he was ok and yes some end of game stuff masked the rest of the game. If you thought he was great last night then good on ya but when your team needs double OT to beat one of the 3 worst teams in the B1G it makes me feel differently.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Just now, rcs29 said:

And he also called a TO when they didn't have one giving them the chance to get something setup. I don't hate Archie, I just don't think he's that good. I also said he was ok and yes some end of game stuff masked the rest of the game. If you thought he was great last night then good on ya but when your team needs double OT to beat one of the 3 worst teams in the B1G it makes me feel differently.

There's a difference between Archie's tenure as a whole and his in-game coaching last night. He was great last night despite his team not being great. TJD and Rob were horrendous. 

I strongly believe Archie's coaching overcame that last night. But yes IU as a whole under Archie is a different story. 

10 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

As was pointed out, bringing in talent hasn’t been an issue for Collins....in fact, the players he’s brought in the last three years is probably the highest rated three year group in Northwestern’s history.  The 2018 group was rated 34th overall and 7th in the Big Ten and the 2019 group was 57th overall and 7th in the Big Ten as well.  The 2020 group was a little down, but it was a two player class and one of them was still a top 159 player.  Next year’s group looks to be solid again with 3 guys who are in the top 153.

While the talent is on the lower end of the big ten, it’s competitive.....plus he’s in a situation where the guys he recruits are likely to be four year guys.  The results he gets isn’t matching the players he has.    If you mixed our teams, I’d start TJD, Nance, Koop, Franklin and then either Audige or Durham.

11 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Not often will you see one team shoot 38 FTs and the opposing team shoot 12 FTs and it be a double overtime game.

And that stat has nothing to do with end game coaching. That stat has to do with a macro issue of the program. 

And that stat has nothing to do with end game coaching. That stat has to do with a macro issue of the program. 
So macro issues cannot also be used to grade/analyze the micro (single game)? They are still problems that are not being corrected. Look it's a 2 game win streak and I'm glad we won but people need to stop acting like that was some incredible coaching performance last night given the competition. I personally think if you wanted to give Archie coaching praise this year it would've been the 1st Iowa game but not this one. Yes he did some good things last night but that shouldn't get us excited that should be the expectation.

He also drew up a nice alley oops play to TJD out of the timeout when down 50-45. That was a big play. I thought his coaching was fine last night. The defense was pretty good, but the shooting was horrendous.

My only real issue was the amount that Rob played, but he did provide some good defense at least. It's just hard to see him on the floor when he has no confidence so that we end up playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So macro issues cannot also be used to grade/analyze the micro (single game)? They are still problems that are not being corrected. Look it's a 2 game win streak and I'm glad we won but people need to stop acting like that was some incredible coaching performance last night given the competition. I personally think if you wanted to give Archie coaching praise this year it would've been the 1st Iowa game but not this one. Yes he did some good things last night but that shouldn't get us excited that should be the expectation.

Not when a macro issue is free throw shooting? That has nothing to do with in-game coaching. Literally nothing. 

And i am going to give Archie praise when he deserves it, and last night at the end of the game he deserves it. Not for what he has done the four years as a whole.

NOBODY but you has said we are excited! nobody. This was brought up because people were saying Collins outcoached Archie, when that couldn't be farther from the freaking truth. Just baffling how biased people are. 

4 minutes ago, Free Jurkin! said:

He also drew up a nice alley oops play to TJD out of the timeout when down 50-45. That was a big play. I thought his coaching was fine last night. The defense was pretty good, but the shooting was horrendous.

My only real issue was the amount that Rob played, but he did provide some good defense at least. It's just hard to see him on the floor when he has no confidence so that we end up playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that was another well designed play to get an easy basket when it was needed. 

The Rob issue is twofold, he seems to really play well at the end of games even when he is struggling. So I personally don't know what I would do in that situation. But I agree he doesn't deserve the minutes he got last night or has been getting. 

14 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Not when a macro issue is free throw shooting? That has nothing to do with in-game coaching. Literally nothing. 

And i am going to give Archie praise when he deserves it, and last night at the end of the game he deserves it. Not for what he has done the four years as a whole.

NOBODY but you has said we are excited! nobody. This was brought up because people were saying Collins outcoached Archie, when that couldn't be farther from the freaking truth. Just baffling how biased people are. 

It will be this way moving forward.  Lines have been drawn in the sand and nothing he does will change that.  Seeds of doubt have been planted.   Fair or unfair this is what it is going to be like until a change is made or he wins consistently and even I don’t think that will be enough.  Until a coach consistently puts a winning product on the court this is how it will be with this fan base.   I thought he made some excellent calls last.  Looking forward to breaking it down more.    Seems like he learned from his mistake against Rutgers and fouled and extended the game 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

It will be this way moving forward.  Lines have been drawn in the sand and nothing he does will change that.  Seeds of doubt have been planted.   Fair or unfair this is what it is going to be like until a change is made or he wins consistently and even I don’t think that will be enough.  Until a coach consistently puts a winning product on the court this is how it will be with this fan base.   I thought he made some excellent calls last.  Looking forward to breaking it down more.    Seems like he learned from his mistake against Rutgers and fouled and extended the game 

I am aware of this. I will still call it out, thanks.