Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Game Thread: 2/10 IU @ NW 5:30 pm BTN

I guess I don't see why people are enamored with Chris Collin's ability to coach.  I don't know how many games I've seen his team lose when they lead late and then go into a shell offensively.  Seems to take a knee before the clock runs out quite often.  Also think his second half adjustments are weak.  

14 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I just don’t think it’s a secret on how to cripple this team. It’s obvious even. Double the post, dare them to shoot from the perimeter. Teams know that the deep ball is inconsistent for us. Take away Trace and at that point the only offense Indiana is left with is dribble penetration into a crowd. The sheer number of high ball screens vs. off-ball picks is a dead give away. That accounts for the large numbers of floaters we take. The only option is to force help through penetration. Is not a winning strategy for a team that struggles with what? Shooting free throws.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

For this reason I'm left even more confounded why we don't get out and run more. We aren't very good from the FT line and even worse from 3pt range. We can struggle getting our shots to go down in traffic at the rim, so why not steal some points from the fast break? I can really only recall one instance early in the first half when Lander hit Franklin with a nice pass on the break for a layup. Didn't get to watch the second half as closely so not sure there we many chances there, but regardless we don't seem to have that as part of our game. Not sure if it's Archie or the players, but Lander seems to be the only one looking to do so, but he also plays with a different motor (fast and downhill) than our usual ball handlers. Just a bit puzzling to me

I’m not personally in agreement that the freshman should start and all play 30 minutes as many have suggested. There are several reasons why I feel that way but that’s for another conversation. The only question I have in all seriousness, is why Is Geronimo not getting more? He’s the only one you will hear me lobby for. I understand Hunter returned but damn, you telling me we cant find a few more for that kid? He’s killing it. Am I wrong? The ball just finds that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

TBH, I forgot we played tonight. That’s at least the 3rd time I’ve done that this year. Everything else used to stop during an IU game.
Came home and turned it on literally as Jerome is getting the ball at the FT line and he hits that 3. After looking at the box score, I’m really glad I missed this!
Don’t get me wrong, super glad we got the W. However, IUBB just has no excitement for me. And I really hate that.

1 minute ago, cappymo14 said:

I’m not personally in agreement that the freshman should start and all play 30 minutes as many have suggested. There are several reasons why I feel that way but that’s for another conversation. That only question I have in all seriousness, is why Is Geronimo not getting more? He’s the only one you will hear me lobby for. I understand Hunter returned but damn, you telling me we cant find a few more for that kid? He’s killing it. Am I wrong? The ball just finds that guy.

I can't speak for the first 35 minutes of so, but he's a guy that is hard to put on the court late when he's 1 of 9 from the line for the season.  That's bad even for us.

Wow. Interesting anyway. Always glad to get the W. Lots of bad. Some good. Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners
I've noticed "moving on" is your new moniker. It's a good one because good or bad you just keep on keepin' on. No sense in dwelling in any one moment with this program because it's certain to change very, very soon.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Just now, rcs29 said:

I've noticed "moving on" is your new moniker. It's a good one because good or bad you just keep on keepin' on. No sense in dwelling in any one moment with this program because it's certain to change very, very soon.

Indiana basketball = Indiana weather.

3 minutes ago, cappymo14 said:

I’m not personally in agreement that the freshman should start and all play 30 minutes as many have suggested. There are several reasons why I feel that way but that’s for another conversation. The only question I have in all seriousness, is why Is Geronimo not getting more? He’s the only one you will hear me lobby for. I understand Hunter returned but damn, you telling me we cant find a few more for that kid? He’s killing it. Am I wrong? The ball just finds that guy.

You’re not wrong 

8 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I guess I don't see why people are enamored with Chris Collin's ability to coach.  I don't know how many games I've seen his team lose when they lead late and then go into a shell offensively.  Seems to take a knee before the clock runs out quite often.  Also think his second half adjustments are weak.  

I'm admittedly too lazy to go back and read this thread, but people are enamored with Collins? I said after we lost at home to NW that anyone who mentioned Collins as a possible candidate should be disqualified from posting in the coaching candidate thread. I'm puffing my chest out and saying that even more strongly through the interwebs now. 

Agree. Good things seem to happen to when he's in. Of all of them he most resembles the Juwan/OG Fr impact.

12 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I'm admittedly too lazy to go back and read this thread, but people are enamored with Collins? I said after we lost at home to NW that anyone who mentioned Collins as a possible candidate should be disqualified from posting in the coaching candidate thread. I'm puffing my chest out and saying that even more strongly through the interwebs now. 

4 years ago, someone who was pretty plugged in at the time shared with me that Collins was one of our top targets to replace Crean. It would make sense that our administration would look at someone like him, given the duds we've hired post-Knight. 

Yeah, I’m rolling with the punches. I don’t personally think Archie will ever have us at the level I want, but I hope he does. Fortunately, I’m so busy lately, I dwell on it less and enjoy the wins and laugh at our failures. Win/win for me. No reason my standards should be higher than our administrations. Plus many of these results don’t change my opinion. Therefore, “moving on”.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Great to see Al have a banner game, man those free throws at the end were clutch.

Along with Al’s clutch scoring down  the stretch, a couple things / stats stood out to me

- real plus - minus leaders were Franklin (shocker right) and Hunter. Franklin +9 in 44 min (iron man), Hunter at +7 in about 17 min (Leal +8 but 2 min), and that 3 in double OT. 

We shot over 70 percent from the stripe, 14-15 in OT, and otherwise we lose.
Seems like the strategy was to keep going inside to force NW to avoid fouling since they struggle with fouling -

I was hating our shot choices and passing up shots until I started to realize how the fouling was piling up, I mean we shot 38 FT’s — to NW’s 12. Talk about winning ugly. And Al and Franklin, 11-12 and 7-8 respectively, were key.

And a half-time score of 23-20, and a final score of 79-76? Nuts