Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Game Thread: Illinois @ Indiana Tues., Feb. 2, 9 pm ESPN/2

Crean left us worse than an ex girlfriend left for the starting QB of your high school team. Roster was completely trash, recruiting was beyond terrible. 

Archie has had his years. This recruiting class appears to be his best, the kids will be four year players. Whether or not Archie is here, we'll have something to start with if and when a new coaches takes over. 

17 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

With the standard we set with Alford, I'd Say Fife is a no go too by just being on MSUs staff. Shady RapeU isn't anything we should want a part of anymore. And we have no clue what Fife has known of while being there. 

Who set the standard? Then, name me one coach that doesn’t cheat or run their programs in the gray? By your standard that rules out Beard since he worked with Knight who threw chairs and choked players amongst many other indiscretions. Where do we stop? Our university, board, alumni and fans act holier than thou yet we looked the other way much like other notables like Penn St, Mich St, UNC academics. I don’t mean to pick on you but these litmus tests won’t find us a winning coach. I would give Fife a chance along with Alford, Wittman, Woodson or other Indiana guy if we Archie goes.

4 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Who set the standard? Then, name me one coach that doesn’t cheat or run their programs in the gray? By your standard that rules out Beard since he worked with Knight who threw chairs and choked players amongst many other indiscretions. Where do we stop? Our university, board, alumni and fans act holier than thou yet we looked the other way much like other notables like Penn St, Mich St, UNC academics. I don’t mean to pick on you but these litmus tests won’t find us a winning coach. I would give Fife a chance along with Alford, Wittman, Woodson or other Indiana guy if we Archie goes.

They just seem to be the standards set by many here. If Alford were hired, I'd hope he wins. Same with Fife or anyone else. 

Matta is still my number one pick, but with whatever health issues he has, I doubt an extremely high-stress position like IU would be something he’d consider, money or no. But who knows, he could be healed up and ready to go...people have been talking about his “return” for years, but if I were him I’d stay chilling and counting my O$U money. 

20 minutes ago, schoosier said:

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They just seem to be the standards set by many here. If Alford were hired, I'd hope he wins. Same with Fife or anyone else. 

In a way,  i think most all on here agree about "the standard"; even LCS. Here's what we agree on:

It's a subjective, line-drawing exercise. I think we can also agree that there are infinite different places to draw the line, and so many different relevant factors for each poster's definition of what constitutes "minimum acceptable backstory."

For many, Alford's Pierre Pierce incident is too much--it's over the line. For some, it is too long ago or not dissimilar to others' backstories. Different posters; different relevant factors; different versions of what is minimally acceptable.

Matta is still my number one pick, but with whatever health issues he has, I doubt an extremely high-stress position like IU would be something he’d consider, money or no. But who knows, he could be healed up and ready to go...people have been talking about his “return” for years, but if I were him I’d stay chilling and counting my O$U money. 

You have to kick the tires. I believe it was a back issue at O$U that he struggled with. If he’s over that and can give it another run I’d take him. Regardless who the next coach is, I hope they’re allowed to do what they were hired to do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, NOLA Hoosier said:

A healthy Thad Matta is near the top of my list. Good recruiter, good in game coach and a great motivator.

Matta would be my guy if he’s healthy. Did a great job of getting Oden and Conley, among other things.
That really hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

With the standard we set with Alford, I'd Say Fife is a no go too by just being on MSUs staff. Shady RapeU isn't anything we should want a part of anymore. And we have no clue what Fife has known of while being there. 

False equivalency.  We know for a fact what Alford did.  

6 hours ago, Treesh said:

Crean left us worse than an ex girlfriend left for the starting QB of your high school team. Roster was completely trash, recruiting was beyond terrible. 

Archie has had his years. This recruiting class appears to be his best, the kids will be four year players. Whether or not Archie is here, we'll have something to start with if and when a new coaches takes over. 

Recruiting seems to drop when it becomes clear to recruits that the coach is on shaky footing with a school.  The last group by Crean was weak.  The 2021 class for Miller right now is one guy in the 100s.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

In a way,  i think most all on here agree about "the standard"; even LCS. Here's what we agree on:

It's a subjective, line-drawing exercise. I think we can also agree that there are infinite different places to draw the line, and so many different relevant factors for each poster's definition of what constitutes "minimum acceptable backstory."

For many, Alford's Pierre Pierce incident is too much--it's over the line. For some, it is too long ago or not dissimilar to others' backstories. Different posters; different relevant factors; different versions of what is minimally acceptable.

I also think it’s important to recognize that Alford has taken one step up and two steps back in terms of where he was hired in his last three jobs.  Iowa to New Mexico...step back.  New Mexico to UCLA....step up.  UCLA to Nevada....step back.

I seem to recall McRobbie making it abundantly clear that off court issues that were embarrassing to the university would not be tolerated during the Crean tenure. When problems in your program get the attention of people that far up the food chain, it does not bode well for your future. I have always thought that after our run of unfavorable off court publicity that the administration was looking for an excuse to terminate Coach Crean. I could be completely off, but nothing really felt the same after those incidents.

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I also think it’s important to recognize that Alford has taken one step up and two steps back in terms of where he was hired in his last three jobs.  Iowa to New Mexico...step back.  New Mexico to UCLA....step up.  UCLA to Nevada....step back.

The New Mexico job really ended up being a step up. They were better than Iowa for a bit there. 

He’s succeeded in mid major conferences and driven away or fired from power five jobs.
Think we’ve tried that route.

I don’t endorse him as an option for us but his time at UCLA was pretty darn good. Not great, but pretty darn good. We’ve been down this road with him before. I’m ready for something all together different.

Someone that embraces fast paced, tenacious play on offense and defense.

Or someone that can win in the B1G.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I don’t endorse him as an option for us but his time at UCLA was pretty darn good. Not great, but pretty darn good. We’ve been down this road with him before. I’m ready for something all together different.

Someone that embraces fast paced, tenacious play on offense and defense.

Or someone that can win in the B1G.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

124-53 in 5.5 seasons. Edit to add 3 sweet sixteens and one first round exit. The guy was not chopped liver.

This is far from an endorsement, but I’m a bit surprised to have not seen Shaka’s name even mentioned during a very good “flavor of the month” season for him. Tough L today for the Horns.